ECSTASY vs. UBERSCHALL - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
RGN

ECSTASY vs. UBERSCHALL

I was ready to pull the trigger on a Uberschall then my guitar tech said he has seen a lot of problems with them. A couple he couldn't fix and had to send back to Bogner. He did say this was highly unusual for Bogner gear. He suggested I get the an Ecstacy. I listened to some sound clips and they sound pretty good. However, I currently use JCM2000 heads and need to get that mean metal (Megadeth) distortion. Is this easily achievable with the Ecstasy? I don't need a death metal tone. Just heavy. He also said the Ecstasy's clean channel was far superior to the Uber. Any help would be appreciated. Does this head have a DI out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 05:19 PM

Re: ECSTASY vs. UBERSCHALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGN
I was ready to pull the trigger on a Uberschall then my guitar tech said he has seen a lot of problems with them. A couple he couldn't fix and had to send back to Bogner. He did say this was highly unusual for Bogner gear. He suggested I get the an Ecstacy. I listened to some sound clips and they sound pretty good. However, I currently use JCM2000 heads and need to get that mean metal (Megadeth) distortion. Is this easily achievable with the Ecstasy? I don't need a death metal tone. Just heavy. He also said the Ecstasy's clean channel was far superior to the Uber. Any help would be appreciated. Does this head have a DI out?
I like both
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 02:16 AM

Why don't you surf to www.bogneramplification.com and listen to some samples and read the specs of the different amps there... that info should be easily available there.

Personally if I'd only have the cash I'd go for the Ecstacy. That's one sweet sounding amp. Speaking of which, am I ever going to have $3000 to spend on an amp head? Hopefully yes.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 08:54 AM

I haven't tried any of these but Uberschall must be the coolest product name I've heard for a very long time.
That reason alone would be enough for me to buy it
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
RGN

I listened to the samples a bunch of times but the Ubershcall samples are focused on the heavy stuff while the Ecstasy samples are are more showing the heads diversity. Nothing bone crushing heavy although it sounds very nice. I don't play death metal. I just need a mean moderate metal tone for most things. I know there are guys on here who use an Ecstasy. I'd like to hear if they can achieve a Dokken/Megadeth type tone.

Thanks.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGN
I listened to the samples a bunch of times but the Ubershcall samples are focused on the heavy stuff while the Ecstasy samples are are more showing the heads diversity. Nothing bone crushing heavy although it sounds very nice. I don't play death metal. I just need a mean moderate metal tone for most things. I know there are guys on here who use an Ecstasy. I'd like to hear if they can achieve a Dokken/Megadeth type tone.

Thanks.
Go to Rudy´s Music and try´em out !
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 04:29 PM

Ive been using an Ecstasy for some time now. The Ecstasy is a more elegant amp by far. The Uberschall is alright, but like the SLO100 I played mainly before the Ecstasy, it just didnt seem to have any character. To me anyway. I dont really know any examples of a metal band using it. It sounds closer to early EVH then to a Soldano or a Modern marshall. Its very soft like a cranked 50w plexi. Not as aggressive as a 100w. If you have Alien Love Secrets I usually say the song Die to Live really hits on what it sounds like. The intro, in my head anyway, is THE tone of an ecstasy. An overdrive pedal can help with the super saturated sound.

I have the older 100B ecstasy. At one time I almost traded it in for a new 101B but as soon as I played the 101 I had to get the 100 back. The 101 is very honky and some of the lower gain settings can be harsh. The Plexi channel on either is pretty killer for vintage marshall. The clean is amazing. At least for a high gain channel switching head. I wouldnt say its like a fender by any means. Maybe like a really great sounding marshall clean channel with infinite headroom. The 100B also has a cool built in variac. It really smooths out the sound and helps control the volume.

Thier is a lot of controls though. Mostly pre EQ settings and power section options.

I do know the GooGoo dolls use them. A little while back I remember seeing them on Conan and thier guitar player had 2 ecstasys and a few Bogner 1x12s.

My vote is for an Ecstasy.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
RGN

Thanks Dan. Have you ever tried a Soldano Hot Rod 50+. The nearest dealer is pretty far way but I hear that head is worth checking out also.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 01:18 PM

Never tried the Hot Rods. I was always scared Id like them more then the SLO I spent nearly 2k for. My impression is that thier a little more classic/organic sounding. It may be a good buy. Thier certainly cheaper then the Bogners.

I dont think theyd sound exactly like an SLO, but when I said the SLO has no character, what I meant was the sound was a very clear, strait ahead gain sound. I cant even describe it. It has no adjectives Id usualy use to describe an amp. Maybe that was the problem. It wasnt midrangey or scooped. Or bassy. Maybe a bit bright. Just crystal clear I guess. the HR may be alltogether different.

I hear its one of the best buys for the money. On the used market anyway.

Tags
amp head , death metal , guitar tech , overdrive pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode