Edge pro 2 vs Edge 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Edge pro 2 vs Edge 3

which one is better? and why ?
i know original edge owns edge pro. but what about these new ones ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 06:15 PM

Re: Edge pro 2 vs Edge 3

First of all, the Original Edge doesn't "own" the Edge Pro. With the higher quality trems like the Edge, Lo Pro Edge, and Edge Pro, it boils down to personal preference. I've recently had the chance to play all of the different Ibanez trems set up properly and I will definitely say that the Edge Pro is every bit as versatile as the Edge and the Lo Pro Edge.

Of course, the Edge Pro II and Edge III are for regular series Ibanez guitars so they aren't quite as good. Having recently owned both a guitar with the Edge Pro II and with the Edge III, I would say that the two trems are about the same quality. The Edge Pro II is lower profile than the Edge III, however.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

lower profile ? please explain.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 06:57 PM
ZJH

The Edge III feels a lot more fluid than the Edge Pro II. EPII just feels too stiff and has too much resisitance to divebombs and pull-ups.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 07:00 PM

the edge pro 2 is to the edge pro what the edge 3 is to the original edge. they even have similar respective appearances. i.e the edge pro 2 is very low profile, just like the edge pro.

i've owned guitars with all of these bridges. for my money, the only real difference in the edge pro 2 and the edge 3 is the appearance. the edge 3 is ever-so slightly less user friendly in that it has those annoying little string lock inserts that like to escape when you change strings. it also requires that you snip the ball-ends, unlike the edge pro 2.

also, like lyconxero said, a well set-up edge pro is a match for an original edge. if you're throwing out your edge pro, let me know!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 10:15 PM

I'll still take an Edge or Lo-pro Edge over an Edge Pro any day .
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadeth
lower profile ? please explain.
It's hard to explain without some visuals. Basically, if you look at the two bridges you'll notice that the saddles and the fine tuners are lower (i.e. they don't stick up as much) on the Edge Pro II. Some players believe that this allows them more room for speed picking while muting but I personally don't have that problem with the Edge III. I would agree with what someone said about the Edge III seeming a bit smoother than the Edge Pro II; that is, after you stretch the strings with use.

Of course, it still doesn't hold its tuning perfectly just like the Edge Pro II but both of the bridges do keep the strings in tune with each other after dive bombs, but don't expect as much with pull-ups. Basically, if you want a higher quality bridge then get a higher quality guitar that comes with one. Although I have just been told that an Original Floyd Rose will retrofit perfectly in an Edge III cavity. I saw someone with a modded RG350 and that might be a cheaper solution if you feel like a project guitar.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorian
I'll still take an Edge or Lo-pro Edge over an Edge Pro any day .
Been beating the dead out of my RG1570 lately-shamelessly! Broke three or four strings in short order(within 2 days)-to much bending and trem wrangling. It was really nice being able to grab a ball end and slap it right in the trem! I own guitars with all three and the Edge Pro my favorite. Although I kinda like the meaty look of the Lo Pro edge.... The achilles heel of the cheaper trem is its internal bushing for thr trem arm . Has a tendency to loosen up and the set screw will rip right thru the bushing if you tighten it too much.I developed a mod/fix for that though!
The Edge lll does have a smoother softer action more like an edge/lo pro/edge pro feel. The Edge pro ll is down right stiff.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 11:21 PM

hey wad du u guys mean by a well set up edge pro?

Tags
floyd rose , ibanez guitars , ibanez trem , pro edge , string lock , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode