Edge Vs Floyd Vs Schaller - Is one better than the others? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Edge Vs Floyd Vs Schaller - Is one better than the others?

Which of these trems are better?Or is it just a matter of taste? I know the Schaller has forged steel saddles and the floyd has a forged block,But what makes the Ibanez so great?What does the edge bring to the table?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 05:58 PM

Edge Vs Floyd Vs Schaller

Yes, there is a "best" one, but we're not telling!:biggrin:

J/K, it's kind of a matter of opinion, but seeing as how this is primarily an Ibanez orientated forum, I think Edge will be the common answer.

The Edge is extremely stable, far more so than the Schaller and OFR I've owned in the past.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 07:18 PM

i think you'll notice the differences only with heavy bar use. *due to their different dimensions and weight distribution, they'll react different (with the flutters and all those things). for little to no use, the 3 will keep in tune very well.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 07:25 PM

I've tried OFR and Edge & the OFR holds tuning better, in my experience. I've tried the Edge with 4 different guitars and none of them stay in tune as well as the OFR I've had on my Strat since 1984.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 03:53 AM

those 4 Edge were badly setup...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 07:27 AM

Well, the bridge is one thing... but also the neck, strings, springs, guitar etc. comes into it.
My Lo-TRS on my S470 stays in tune as well as my Lo-Pro. My Jackson USA's licened trem flutter better than the Edge by a mile and stays in tune extremely well. I hate the way the brushings gets wasted so quickly on the Edge, especially when you travel with your guitar a lot.. removing and putting in the trem in and out all the time for putting into the guitar case.

Last edited by SHREDlamode; 01-11-2007 at 11:07 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 09:03 AM

well, not quite plastic...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 03:35 PM
ns9

Hi! How does an OFR compare to the TRS? Never played a guitar with a TRS. The OFR never seemed better or worse than the Edge, just different. I like them both *(i know- cough-cough-blasphemy-cough-cough )
* BTW- replacing a TRS with an Edge requires routing- right? How about replacing a TRS with an OFR? Nikki
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Well I'm not sure what having "forged steel" components does for a whammy bar system, but I do know that I find the edge to be a very comfortable bridge to use and doesn't interfere at all with my playing position. This has the effect of making the guitar play smoother and feel better to me.

I also think that the edge is a very good whammy unit for the actual up and downy bits If set up properly mine always return to pitch well and don't require constant tuning. Like any vibrato though a poorly set up system will be a pain and a half.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 05:40 PM
rgr

OFRs and Schallers are made of hardened steel, so, they last longer and sound brighter. *Edges are made by Gotoh and are made of softer steel, or un-hardened steel, therefore they sound warmer but consequently wear out faster. *(The knife edges on an Edge or LP Edge are hardened, just wanted to make that clear.) *I like them all, and they all stay in tune if they are set up properly, I have never noticed one system to stay in tube better than the other, I have had guitars that went out of tune more than others but I think it was more the guitar than the trem. *

BTW, I don't have any OFRs now, I have 2 Robins with Kahler Steelers which are a "better" OFR, unfortunately they aren't made now. *They work great too and are made of hardened steel.

Roger *
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 07:44 PM

You know what? *removes foot from mouth* I was playing that ol'e Strat with the ol'e Floyd on it last night just to double check it's supposed superior (in my eyes) tuning stability. Wrong again! Goes completely sharp when I pull up on it, and stays sharp until I push down a bit or do a dive of some sort. I spent some time switching springs, number of springs, V or straight configuration. (Though I discovered I like 2 springs better than 3. *Two were spongier and easier to bend) It's actually worse than the Edges I have. So I have NO locking trems that return exactly to zero. Well, except if I only push down. It's pulling up that seems to screw things. I guess I'll have to invest in new posts for all of them, start from there. Dang!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 10:30 PM

Quote:
rgr on 4:40 pm on Mar. 19, 2002
OFRs and Schallers are made of hardened steel, so, they last longer and sound brighter. *Edges are made by Gotoh and are made of softer steel, or un-hardened steel, therefore they sound warmer but consequently wear out faster. *(The knife edges on an Edge or LP Edge are hardened, just wanted to make that clear.) *I like them all, and they all stay in tune if they are set up properly, I have never noticed one system to stay in tube better than the other, I have had guitars that went out of tune more than others but I think it was more the guitar than the trem. *

BTW, I don't have any OFRs now, I have 2 Robins with Kahler Steelers which are a "better" OFR, unfortunately they aren't made now. *They work great too and are made of hardened steel.
Edges aren't steel, they're soft cast pot metal. *BUT - all the important parts - pivot knife edges, plate for locking down saddles, etc. ARE hardened steel inserts. *This allows the Edge to have longevity while possibly a less "harsh" sound (and cheaper to manufacture?). *Personally, it's a coin toss for me. *I've been playing around with an Edge and like it pretty much the same as my OFR (except the bar shape - still prefer the Floyd's).
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 01:07 AM
rgr

You are correct, they are pot metal which is probably mostly steel. *I just didn't want to use the term "pot metal" on this board because is sounds kinda cheap. *You are right on in your assessment, but the saddles do tend to wear pretty quick compared to hardened steel ones. *
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

*Thanks for the responses,I was looking for a replacement trem for my s470. Really I was looking at the Shchaller units more than the other two,becuse it seemed that it would be the easiest fit into the TRS cavity,and I always heard it was a great unit.But I found a great deal on a used Edge,so I snached it up.BTW - it's missing one fine tuner,where can I find a replacement for THAT?....or even better,will a Fine tuner off the TRS fit the Edge?(I have yet to recieve it)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 02:00 PM

Reviews: 5

I dunno. *I have a TRS guitar, a Lo Pro Edge guitar, and an OFR guitar. *The Lo Pro is perfect. *I have to tune it every other week! *The OFR and TRS are both a giant pain in the ass. *Both of them need constant adjustment and rarely return to pitch. *That's why I use them for practice only.

Tags
locking trems , pro edge , string guage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode