Effects loop? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Effects loop?

I find myself NEVER using the effects loop on my amplifiers... Is there a specific reason why I "should" or "should not" use the effects loop? Not looking for "tone" answers here, I can dial in whatever sound to suit my tastes on the front end, just wondering what the whole point of the effects loops are to be honest.

I dont run racks or anything, is that what they are intended for ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 01:26 PM

Re: Effects loop?

Mostly for modulation effects, chorus, delay, reverb, etc. The effects loop runs after the preamp section and before the power section so you'll want to put effects here that sound like crap when run "before" gain stages. I run a TC Corona Chorus and Flashback Delay in the effects loop of my Mark V.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEmuOfDoom View Post
Mostly for modulation effects, chorus, delay, reverb, etc. The effects loop runs after the preamp section and before the power section so you'll want to put effects here that sound like crap when run "before" gain stages. I run a TC Corona Chorus and Flashback Delay in the effects loop of my Mark V.
Cool. I've never had an issue with it, but i ll give it a try when I get home. The delay doesn't have any issues with feedback problems does it? I run my od20 before my delay and get good results from that.kind of a "if it ain't broke...."kinda thing
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Cool. I've never had an issue with it, but i ll give it a try when I get home. The delay doesn't have any issues with feedback problems does it? I run my od20 before my delay and get good results from that.kind of a "if it ain't broke...."kinda thing
It really depends on the amp too. I had no issues running a ton of pedals into the front of my JSX mini (when I still had it) but a lot of those same pedals sounded HORRIBLE going into the front of the Mesa TA15 I replaced it with. In fact, the main reason I returned my TA15 was the lack of an effects loop since pretty much none of my pedals sounded good through it. I was really happy to see that they put an effects loop on the new Mini Recto for this reason.

If you mean you're running Guitar > OD20 > Delay, that's the way I would do it too. If you like how your effects sound without using the loop, that's all that really matters . I would try the delay in the loop if I were you just to see if you like it better but in the end it's YOUR sound.

I think signal chain is more about preference than anything. I generally stick with Boost > Gain > Chorus > Delay but would switch around where I put a compressor when i was still using one. I found that putting it before or after a distortion pedal made a big difference. I liked both ways, just different.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 02:39 PM

Reviews: 57

Keep in mind, probably some of the best loved guitar tones have been recorded with amps that had effects in front and no effects loop.

If you can dial it in out of the loop, and are happy with the tone, go for it. The loop is just another option for some effects.

Personally, I like delay and reverb in the loop. Some chorus tones sound better in the loop to me as well. It's just preference.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 06:28 PM

Reviews: 18

Most folks will tell you to use the effects loop of your amp if you're going to incorporate time-based or modulation effects into your sound, as EvilEmu pointed out. There are other folks out there who will also be against that because they feel that their sound will be compromised. As it has been stated so far, you can't really hurt anything by trying it because you may find that your ears like the sound better that way.

Sometimes (depending on the amp and the pedals you're using), the effect may develop a slight difference in sound that your ears may or may not distinguish when placed in the loop or right after the guitar, so it can't hurt to try it

The only downside (if you really want to classify it as such), is that you'll need more cables.

What are you using in your rig?

Jimmy
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 08:53 PM

I have a 1 channel head and run all effects through the loop. I've tried it both ways and it just plain sounds better in my set up.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 02:37 PM

I run an Old Boss ME-8 through the effects loop using just the modulation effects and EQ. I run a Weeping Demon in the front and that's it. Peavey 6505+ Combo. It's sounds AWESOME!!!!!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, for gigs I normally use my peavey valve king head, but occasionally Ill drop down the a mesa son of boogie 60w head. They are ran through my marshall cab, but I swapped out the v30's for some 35w eminence legends (huge upgrade for my style honestly). I keep it clean and run my OD20 just because I can get 5 VERY different distorted tones all at the same time.

The only reason I ask, is I keep seeing reviews and run throughs about "effects loops this" and "Effects loops that" and I just have never bothered to run through them for whatever reason. So, run the distortion and wah in the front, and the chorus, delays (I run two delays), and flanger in the effects loop? Ill see how I like it. Wish I wasnt out of town now haha.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 04:27 PM

That's it penguin. Let us know what you think.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 01:17 AM

Reviews: 10

If you play a high-gain amp, you basically create your distortion through your pre-amp, or pedals in front of the pre-amp. The power amp section simply acts as the driver for the speaker (very simplified, I know). So anything you do before your signal goes into the preamp will be processed by the preamp - including distortion of the signal. Things like reverb will cover quite a different frequency range than your original guitar sound, and will react quite differently to distortion. Feeding a reverb into a preamp distortion is a great way to illustrate this .

So an FX loob basically adds an interface between your final guitar sound and the speaker driver. That's where you can have a pure effect on the original signal.

In "theory", stuff like real-life chorus, echo, reverb, etc. happens AFTER the speaker, but that's technically hard to implement. So having them as late in the signal chain as possible makes these fx act in their natural way.

That doesn't mean you must not use a delay to feed your pre-amp. If you like a hairy mess of a signal, that is . This can however be done well with amps that don't distort/overdrive the signal. YMMV. And in the end, as long as you sound great, and others think you sound great, the result justifies the means.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
I find myself NEVER using the effects loop on my amplifiers... Is there a specific reason why I "should" or "should not" use the effects loop?

If you use only the clean channel of the amp, you don't neet to worry about to have an effect loop and you could easy run your pedals in front of your amp.... BUT if you are going to play with your distortion channel of your amp, your pedals like delay, reverb... they are gonna sound like crap in front of the amp. But if you put them in the effect loop (in the preamp), they are gonna sound good. Is like to use a delay first in the chain of pedals, completely wrong.

That's an effect loop... you may need it or not. Some amps take pedals easy, others... just don't.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 10:23 PM

Reviews: 2

I HAVE to run my boost pedal through my effects loop. As i'm using the hi-gain distortion on my amp clicking the boost infront of the amp just adds more distortion and hardly any volume (even at full) as the pre-amp is compressing the boost and clipping it. But when i shang it in the effects loop i have it barely past a 1/4 and that's loud enough for a solo boost and this increases ONLY my volume (no gain increase).

But really, an fx loop is only useful if you use the amps distortion in the pre-amp. If you use pedal distortion, you can put the boosts/modulations after the dist. pedal. If you get your distortion from the power amp... then i don't really know what you can do, hook up some rack effects between the head and cab maybe?

So the basic theory is, where ever your distortion is created, put the boost/mod effects after that, and you should be sounding sweet.

Toodles, Julz.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode