Effects loop squeeling - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Effects loop squeeling

Ok i Have a Laney GH100L and Tc electronics M300 effects. When i run the M300 throught the effects loop i get a squeeling noise when the amp is run at high gain sounds, clean its fine, is this a tube going or somthing else, I can set the input level on the M300 and adjust the effects level, but when i get a point when it doesn't make a noise it has sucked most of the tone.

Any Idea's please help

Beavis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 09:43 AM

Are you sure it is the loop and not the unit?

Take the TC out of the loop and check for the squeel again....then use a quarter inch cable connected to the send and return so you are sending the amps own preamp signal through the loop circuitry and see of it squeels.

Those two checks will tell you what portion of the chain is causing the squeel...how to fix from there, I have no idea?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

It only squeels if the unit is attached

any idea's

the unit is brand new

Beavis
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 01:28 PM

I have three things I could think of:

Is there a switch that allows you to select a loop level on either unit? It is usually labeled a -10/+4 switch. This is may be the issue, Usually, you would select +4 when using rack equipment but really it boils down to which works best with your rig. Some units may only run a +4dB signal level though the XLR ports and -10dB through the 1/4" jacks. If they both have selectable line levels than make sure both are matched and start wit -10dB.

It may also be as simple as an input and/or output level adjustment on the processor. Start low in your adjustments and tweak them until the levels are about the same as when the processor isn't in the loop or switched on.

One more thing that I can think of: Does this processor have distortion in it? I'm not familiar with this unit. If it does, distortions often don't provide desired results when used in an FX loop. I'd edit out the distortion in the patches that have it activated and use the distortion in the amp or through a separate box plugged between the guitar and the amp's input. If you'd rather leave the distortion on in the loop-try lowering the distortion signal level and amount (again, that's if this applies). Hope some of this helps.

Mike 777 Haug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode