Effects pedal dilema - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Exclamation Effects pedal dilema

I'm having some trouble choosing between 2 different effects pedals. One is a boss BD-2 blues driver, awesome pedal and i get miles of sustain and awesome tone when i use it with my compression sustainer and my DS-1. I was thinking of adding that to my board. My other option is to go all out and buy the boss ME-50. I want this one because of the analog interface, I can't stand floor based processors with digital interface(rackmount is an other story). Which one should i buy? Should i just get something to boost my tone or should i get the whole package (i'm assuming the blues driver tone will be one of the distortion options.) Anybody know anything about this processor? Are the distortion sounds good? Will all the other stuff turn my into an effects whore? I'm a pretty meat and potatoes guy, i've got a bad horsie wah, a compression/sustainer and a ds-1 and occasionally an eq. So if any one has any advice i'd love to hear it, i thought the ME-50 would be the best bet for someone who doesn't want everything and the kitchen sink just some functional effects and good distortion.
thanks,
chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 07:44 AM

Talking Re: Effects pedal dilema

Hey

Jem

Before you go out and buy the Boss pedal I would suggest you go to this website and check out the mods that Mike makes they are a dream come true. I have purchased the mods on the TS-9 with the option brown sound (eddie van halen) Mike makes really realiable and trust worthy mods to a bunch of stuff including the Blues Driver and a better DS-1. If you have the time check him out save your cash and consider what he sells you will not be sorry. www.analogman.com search under Boss Pedals.

Armando
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 07:50 AM

Re: Effects pedal dilema

i love the blues driver, plenty of sustain, even without a compressor- awsome tone!!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:23 AM

The ME-50 is an entry-level unit, IMO, for the guy who is new to FX and wants everything. But the FX, to me, did not sound like the effect you'd get by buying the individual pedal. Many of the FX just sound flat, dull, and lifeless. The '50 is a 12 or 16-bit processor while the market standard for digital seems to be 24.

In short, the ME-50 does a lot, but none of it very well.

As far as the other Boss pedals you mentioned, it seems to me that you'll have to decide which you like best.

Keeley mods both those pedals. I'd be curious to find out about Analog Mike.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

I chose an OD-1 over the Blues Driver as it does not color the tone.
I love the thing.

-Jemaholic
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6

I think i'm gonna check out analog mike, i plan to send in my DS-1 for modification and i also think i might buy a modded blues driver from him. I like having the option of 2 distortion types, and as i may have mentioned, the 2 sound badass when used together. Thanks for your help guys! I can always count on jemsite for good advice.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Gex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd111
The ME-50 is an entry-level unit, IMO, for the guy who is new to FX and wants everything. But the FX, to me, did not sound like the effect you'd get by buying the individual pedal. Many of the FX just sound flat, dull, and lifeless. The '50 is a 12 or 16-bit processor while the market standard for digital seems to be 24.

In short, the ME-50 does a lot, but none of it very well.

As far as the other Boss pedals you mentioned, it seems to me that you'll have to decide which you like best.

Keeley mods both those pedals. I'd be curious to find out about Analog Mike.
I agree. I used to own one.

not anymore, ugh, its a digital mess just like any other multi effect floor thing.

Tags
boss pedal , boss pedals , eddie van halen , horsie wah , keeley mod , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode