effects processor questions - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

effects processor questions

I wanted to ask a couple questions, first, what is the main difference between the g-major and the g-force? also, is the g-force/major also a preamp? For some1 that wants a preamp and effects processor for not too much money what would you recomend? i was looking at the line6 podxt pro but im not sure how good they are.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:39 AM

Re: effects processor questions

POD's are great for recording in the studio, even the cheaper one. But Vox's effects prosesser/floorboard is probably the best sounding.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
also, is the g-force/major also a preamp?
as far as i know its only an effects processor, not a preamp. you need a seperate preamp for your distortion etc.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 08:54 AM

The difference is sound quality, power, better fx(I hear the harmonizer is actually quite good in the G-Force), better build quality, expansion possiblities.

Preamps in fx processors suck. Pod's suck for the most part, but are good in a pinch. Save your money and get something good, you'll appreciate it better in the long run. Get a decent fx processor a couple of pedals and a marshall jmp-1 on the used market.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I wanted to ask a couple questions, first, what is the main difference between the g-major and the g-force? also, is the g-force/major also a preamp? For some1 that wants a preamp and effects processor for not too much money what would you recomend? i was looking at the line6 podxt pro but im not sure how good they are.

thanks

The g-force has a harmonizer, plus additional "Drive" settings, but it also has many many more parameters that you can change for each effect. Neither are preamps. They are to be used in Effects loops or between rack preamp/poweramp setups. The G Force also allows you place any effect in any position in the effects chain, where the G major is fairly set as is. The G Force does have significantly more room to expand than the G major, the PCMCIA card slot in the G Force allow for easy software updates and patch saving/importing. I don't know if i'd say the effects are noticeably "Better", but the G-Force is simply much much more flexible of a unit. That being said, this makes the Force more difficult and time consuming then the Major. Both are fantastic units. It just depends on what your needs are. G Force runs new about 1400 USD and G Major about 400 USD

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a POD. Never much liked the sounds i could out of them. Sounded very digitized to me. I've found the Vox digital stuff is pretty decent though.

Hope this helps
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

what about something like the rocktron prophesy or the boss gt-pro? i think once i get the money im going to try and get the g-major system and a preamp, which i still cant decide on a preamp.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 10:49 PM

Quote:
what about something like the rocktron prophesy or the boss gt-pro? i think once i get the money im going to try and get the g-major system and a preamp, which i still cant decide on a preamp.
Rocktron stuff used to have a superb rep - at one stage every serious player had an Intellifex, dunno what's happened to them since then - the Prophesy is, I thought, a pre-amp? Boss stuff tends to sound quite "generic" to me - sort of figures when you consider that EVERYONE uses their gear!

Pre-amp wise, if money isn't really the deciding factor, you can't get much better than the Mesa Boogie TriAxis, which is an all-analog, all tube pre-amp but with the benefit of digital control over the storage and modification of presets - I've used a TA for about four years now, and they really do sound amazingly good - the G-Major , which I added about three months ago is probably the best $400 I have ever spent - other than intelligent pitch shifting, there is basically almost nothing this little gem won't do (the G-Major DOES do pitch shifting and harmonising, it won't however change majors and minors according to the scale you are playing, which apparently the G-Force will do).

Don't forget to play live, you need a power amp to go with your pre-amp, unless you trust the sound guy to get you a decent tone through the front of house (good luck!)

Cheers

David
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
Rocktron stuff used to have a superb rep - at one stage every serious player had an Intellifex, dunno what's happened to them since then - the Prophesy is, I thought, a pre-amp? Boss stuff tends to sound quite "generic" to me - sort of figures when you consider that EVERYONE uses their gear!

Pre-amp wise, if money isn't really the deciding factor, you can't get much better than the Mesa Boogie TriAxis, which is an all-analog, all tube pre-amp but with the benefit of digital control over the storage and modification of presets - I've used a TA for about four years now, and they really do sound amazingly good - the G-Major , which I added about three months ago is probably the best $400 I have ever spent - other than intelligent pitch shifting, there is basically almost nothing this little gem won't do (the G-Major DOES do pitch shifting and harmonising, it won't however change majors and minors according to the scale you are playing, which apparently the G-Force will do).

Don't forget to play live, you need a power amp to go with your pre-amp, unless you trust the sound guy to get you a decent tone through the front of house (good luck!)

Cheers

David
i have a yamaha preamp, but if i use my friend,woody, who is a sound guy i can trust him with my life lol

Tags
boogie triaxis , david mccarroll , marshall jmp , mesa boogie , mesa boogie triaxis , pitch shifting , power amp , rack pre

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode