Egnater Renegade - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
Thumbs up Egnater Renegade

So, I've been wanting to try this thing for a bit now. Went in to guitar center and lucked out...there was one just off the truck. First impression: wow...this amp actually sounds pretty decent.

Channel 1:
Shimmering cleans to very fat cleans
It can even get a real nice bluesy breakup going to it as well if you bump the gain up

Channel 2:
Fat rhythmic rock tones to nicely saturated leads and even to metal. It didn't sound as good as the 5150 for metal but it sounded OK.

The reverb was actually very useable...very lush sounding on both channels.
All in all, especially for an amp under $1G, i'd say this is an awesome amp.

I've wanted a Mesa MKV to be my first real amp...however things might've changed upon playing this amp. It seemed to be very versatile, especially with a few pedals in the mix. Very pleased with it...although I certainly was not expecting it.

I really enjoyed playing this thing and was reluctant to leave it.
I might have to look into it a bit more! (Played through a Marshall 1960 lead, by the way)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Reviews: 59
Re: Egnater Renegade

The Egnater stuff is pretty decent. I don't really hear much change with their tube select knob on the rebels I've played, but the overall tones from the amp are good and fairly versatile.
The Mark V is awesome, but it costs a lot more. If budget was no option, I'd lean towards the Mesa but considering that budget is almost always an issue, if you can get what you need for cheaper, go for it!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 05:54 AM

I have a Mark V and I dont know if I'd buy it again. There is a design flaw with the footswitch that makes you unable to turn the EQ on and off with it. Mesa has a fix for it, but in an amp of that caliber it shouldnt have that kind of issue. I've fixed just to have it happen again and again. I also have a problem where sometimes when using the footswitch to change channels instead of switching channels the sound will just completely die until I cycle through all the channels a few times. I talked to Mesa about it and they said they don't know what would cause it and since it isnt something that I can recreate they cant do much about it. It does sound great though
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:56 AM

Reviews: 130

Elcid,

Is that the head or the combo? Reason I ask... I know someone who has fried TWO Mark V heads, but I never had ANY problems with my Mark V Combo using either the factory foot switch or out-board switching (All Access/GCX), and I used it A LOT.

Cheers,

Race

Tags
egnater renegade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode