Egnater Tourmaster and Hotplate? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Egnater Tourmaster and Hotplate?

I've had my Tourmaster for a few months right now and am really digging it, but I've also been thinking about picking up a hotplate. Now since the Tourmaster has a power grid on it, what advantage would I have by having a hotplate, if any? Right now I run the head at half power and everything but my clean channel is going at 10 watts. Head's going into a 212 Egnater cab. Sometimes I feel like I can't get enough saturation without it being fizzy and I'd like a little more "cream" on my tone. Would a hotplate help??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 02:11 PM

Reviews: 59
Re: Egnater Tourmaster and Hotplate?

Depends on your desired volume level. You'll be able to run your amp harder and get the saturated tones you're after with it, but you may still run into some tone issues depending on how quiet you're trying to get things. I've found that hotplates work best at taking an amp's volume from say 9-10 down to 7 or so. It seems to be good for reasonable volume control but when you start to do more extreme settings of attenuation, you start to alter the tone/perceived tone.

While there are some things built in to the hotplate to offset some of the tonal changes that will take place as you diminish the volume, you will still notice it when you try and bring a raging beast down to conversation levels or whisper soft.

If you're looking for something to drop your amp's volume a few db's, I'd recommend also looking into something like the Weber Mass or similar in addition to Hotplates as they make some pretty solid attenuators. There are a few other makers out there. I only recommend the Weber because their attenuators are based around wattage rather than speaker resistance (hotplate), so you could use them if you had an 8ohm speaker or a 16 ohm speaker, etc.

If you're looking for more extreme attenuation for home settings, I'd recommend a smaller amp or a modeler for practice around the house. Those will run you about the same as the Hotplate and I think the tones are comparable some a high powered, heavily attenuated amp.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 06:01 PM

Re: Egnater Tourmaster and Hotplate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
If you're looking for more extreme attenuation for home settings, I'd recommend a smaller amp or a modeler for practice around the house. Those will run you about the same as the Hotplate and I think the tones are comparable some a high powered, heavily attenuated amp.
+1

for the cost of getting a high quality hotplate, you could probably get a 5 watt tube amp that would sound great at bedroom volumes. i had the tourmaster for awhile. what a great sounding amp, but it was so ridiculously heavy i found myself not using it because of the hassle of carrying around. the power grid didn't do much in terms of lowering volume, but definitely helped with power tube saturation at mid - high volumes (at the 10w setting).

Tags
egnater tourmaster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode