Electric guitar Advertising - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Electric guitar Advertising

You may remember the thread I posted a week ago about Hoshino sales figures (which proved fruitless). If so, here is the follow up...

I'm currently working on an assignment in English on the language of advertising, and the area I have chosen to research is electric guitar products. One aspect of this assignment involves evaluating the effectiveness of electric guitar advertising and so I have decided to ask for your opinion (as guitar players), in addition to my own.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could answer the questions below:

(Note: "electric guitar products" are electric guitars, as well as accessories such as amps, effects pedals and strings.)

Question One

What is your overall impression of this advertisement? What aspects do you find particularly persuasive/repellent as a consumer?

What is your overall impression of this advertisement (ignore the giveaway part; focus on the Dave Mustaine quote and image)? Again, what aspects do you find particularly persuasive/repellent as a consumer?

Question Two

Have you ever bought an electric guitar product on the basis of an advertisement? If so, what product and where was it advertised?

Question Three

If you are looking for a new electric guitar pedal to buy (eg. a distortion pedal), to what extent do you allow advertisements to influence your decision? Where do you find these advertisements?

Question Four

How do you respond to the exploitation of images of masculinity in electric guitar advertising, such as Yngwie Malmsteen's "Real men play real Marshalls" ad, or Krank's sexist use of women in advertising their Distortus Maximus? How about connotations with violence in the advertisement of guitar products, such as the use of the word "loaded" to describe speaker boxes housing speakers?

Question Five

In conclusion, how effective do you think advertisers of electric guitar products are in convincing

a) you
b) the "target audience"

to buy their products? How do you think the advertisements of said products could be improved?

As stated previously, any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by guitar_man_6; 07-12-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:59 PM

Re: Electric guitar Advertising

A.) What is your overall impression of this advertisement? What aspects do you find particularly persuasive/repellent as a consumer?

The fact that Paul Gilbert is playing the 20th RG's is definitely a plus. If I saw Paul Gilbert, I would definitely stop and check it out. It's a good attention grabber, especially considering that the majority of guitarists who own Ibanez guitars are into shred, rock, metal, etc.

The only thing I didn't like about this particular ad is that there was more emphasis placed on Paul, and a couple of cool pictures, than on the actual guitar and it's features.

For example, I think the ideal advertisement would go something like this;

Presenting the 20th Anniversary RG!!!
Along with all of your favorite colors from the original RG's, this guitar is loaded with great features, such as;

*An Original Edge Double Locking Vibrato System
*A Basswood Body
*24 Jumbo Frets!
*A Maple Fingerboard On the Desert Yellow and Roadflare Red Models
*A Rosewood Fingerboard On The Black Model
*A Five Piece Wizard Prestige Neck (Built To The Exact Same Specs As The Original RG's In 1987!)
*3 Hot DiMarzio Designed Pickups! Perfect for everything from rock, to metal, to blues!

Other than that, I think it's a good ad.

B.) What is your overall impression of this advertisement (ignore the giveaway part; focus on the Dave Mustaine quote and image)? Again, what aspects do you find particularly persuasive/repellent as a consumer?

I would look at that advertisement, simply because I'm a big Mustaine fan. Other than the picture of Dave, it's a rather plain advertisement. It also doesn't tell us much about the strings you're trying to sell.

A.) Have you ever bought an electric guitar product on the basis of an advertisement? If so, what product and where was it advertisement?

Yes, and I've regretted it. I've learned from personal experince that doing so is usually a bad idea. Not necessarily because the product that was advertised is bad, but because I bought it without trying it, and it just wasn't right for me.

3. If you are looking for a new electric guitar pedal to buy (eg. a distortion pedal), to what extent do you allow advertisements to influence your decision? Where do you find these advertisements?

A.) Personally, ads have no influence on me. It's another one of those things where I have to try it before I buy it. An advertisement might make me more inclined to try something when I walk into a guitar store, but that's the extent of an ad's influence on me.

For example, I really don't care what wah pedal Hendrix used. All I care about, is that the product works as advertised, and that I like it.

4. How do you respond to the exploitation of images of masculinity in electric guitar advertising, such as Yngwie Malmsteen's "Real men play real Marshalls" ad, or Krank's sexist use of women in advertising their Distortus Maximus? How about connotations with violence in the advertisement of guitar products, such as the use of the word "loaded" to describe speaker boxes housing speakers?

A.) It all depends on who it is, personally. If I saw the ad with Yngwie, I would stop and read it, because I like Yngwie. But it would not make me want to go out and buy a Marshall amplifier just because he uses one.

B.) I don't know that I would call the Krank advertisement "sexist". But it would catch my attention if I saw a beautiful woman in the ad, because to be honest, you can't help but not notice it. Again, it would not make me want to buy a Krank, but I might check a Krank out next time I go to a guitar store. So, I guess it's a fairly effective advertising method.

C.) As far as saying an ad connotates violence simply because it describes it's speaker cabs as "LOADED!", is a bit of a stretch. I would have never even guessed that they were referring to loaded, like they were talking about a firearm. I would have thought something more along the lines of "Man! That cabinet must be LOADED with awesome speakers!".

5. In conclusion, how effective do you think advertisers of electric guitar products are in convincing

a) you
b) the "target audience"

to buy their products? How do you think the advertisements of said products could be improved?

A.) Not very. I can't remember the last time I read an advertisement for a guitar and thought to myself "Man! I've gotta have that!". But, I am more inclined to try a particular product if I'm fond of the ad. So, the manufacturers must be doing something right.

B.) I really can't speak for anybody else. But I do know that if I see an ad with Vai, or Yngwie, or Paul Gilbert, etc., it's much more likely to catch my attention. So, yeah, it does work pretty well.

Hope this was helpful.

Last edited by Salamander In The Sun; 07-12-2007 at 10:05 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Very much so. Thanks Salamander.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_man_6 View Post
Very much so. Thanks Salamander.
Sure, I'm glad I could help.

Do you work for Ibanez?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

No. Why do you think that?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 03:15 AM

I'm not going to go as in-depth as Salamander did, other than to add that I'm pretty reliant on the experience of others. Advertising therefore provides a pointer, research via websites, publications and word of mouth a better indication of perceptions of quality and finally testing the product out a final go.

How useful is advertising then? To me, slightly. To a first-time purchaser possibly very influential. Bikini clad babes may force a purchaser from a spotty youth, but I can drool over them without reaching for my wallet (or anything else in a similar area, for that matter).

The main problem with advertising in English is that, despite its being a widely used language, there are minor differences in usage between the various English-speaking countries worldwide, and the message conveyed by a worldwide advertisement may not be received in exactly the same way - this is probably less the case now that previously, with Americanised English being pretty much fully understood by everyone (see reference to 'loaded' above). A product designed to 'root out insects' could well be met with derision in the Antipodes, couldn't it?

Just read that lot back. It sounds really pretentious, doesn't it? Sorry, I did a similar assignment a couple of years back and the conlusion's pretty much lifted from it.

Good luck with the assignment.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, DavyH. I'll reflect on what you've said; good point about first buyers.

Tags
basswood body , dave mustaine , distortion pedal , electric guitar , guitar players , ibanez guitars , jumbo frets , maple fingerboard , marshall amp , paul gilbert , rosewood fingerboard , speaker cab , speaker cabs , wah pedal , wizard prestige , wizard prestige neck , yngwie malmsteen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode