electric shock while recording - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

electric shock while recording

i get electric shock in my strings when i try to record in my computer..

What could be the problem.. and its grounded properly.. plz help

could it be the problem of ATX box or power supply??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 10:26 PM

Re: electric shock while recording

ahhhh no. ur producing static electricity somwhere. are u playing on a carpet floor? if so, there's your problem. ur building up static electricuty, and when u touch the strings, u release the charge and close the circuit. bam! ur shocked
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 10:31 PM

actually, if you touch the strings of our guitar and then touch a microphone with your lips, like barely touching it, you get a little ´´licking a 9v battery´´ feeling on your lips... same goes for having your lips/face on the mic and barely touching the strings...

dunno why it happens, though...
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 12:02 AM

Are you positive everything is grounded correctly?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo1299 View Post
ahhhh no. ur producing static electricity somwhere. are u playing on a carpet floor? if so, there's your problem. ur building up static electricuty, and when u touch the strings, u release the charge and close the circuit. bam! ur shocked
no offence but dont believe this nonsense...

There are several sources of shock which can be deadly... which gladly this one wasnt!!!

Its hard to figure out what is the cause exaclty but since it only happends when your recoding into your computer it must be a faulty earth in the computer somewhere... and unless your a computer whiz its going to be hard to find out where.. or fix it.. but first thing to try would obviously be replace the soundcard ... then next step would be the motherboard...

However, as an alternative... if you follow this link there is a simple mod you can do to your guitar (add 1 capacitor to the bridge ground) to prevent 'some' electric shock caused by dodgy equipment grounds...

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/...fety/index.php

Unfortunatly us musicians usually use ourselves as electrical testing equipment...

Good luck

Steve
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 05:15 AM

Reviews: 6

Since i have an indoor TV antenna in my room, I've noticed that if i accidentally touch the antenna while i'm playing i get a nasty little shock a fair bit worse than licking a 9V, and using just that energy produced the guitar and amp, if i place an LED between me and the antenna it will light up, Its amazing how much electrical energy surrounds you when you play the guitar. So i would suggest the same as others, Check your grounding the energy is leaking from somewhere then onto your trem and onto the strings and when you play your completing the circuit.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike239 View Post
Since i have an indoor TV antenna in my room, I've noticed that if i accidentally touch the antenna while i'm playing i get a nasty little shock a fair bit worse than licking a 9V, and using just that energy produced the guitar and amp, if i place an LED between me and the antenna it will light up, Its amazing how much electrical energy surrounds you when you play the guitar. So i would suggest the same as others, Check your grounding the energy is leaking from somewhere then onto your trem and onto the strings and when you play your completing the circuit.
An LED?? Wow thats crazy, I never would have thought!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 07:43 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantshore View Post
An LED?? Wow thats crazy, I never would have thought!
Oh the LED was just to test how much voltage and current i had running through me when i play, it's a surprising amount about 2-3v.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo View Post
no offence but dont believe this nonsense...

There are several sources of shock which can be deadly... which gladly this one wasnt!!!

Its hard to figure out what is the cause exaclty but since it only happends when your recoding into your computer it must be a faulty earth in the computer somewhere... and unless your a computer whiz its going to be hard to find out where.. or fix it.. but first thing to try would obviously be replace the soundcard ... then next step would be the motherboard...

However, as an alternative... if you follow this link there is a simple mod you can do to your guitar (add 1 capacitor to the bridge ground) to prevent 'some' electric shock caused by dodgy equipment grounds...

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/...fety/index.php

Unfortunatly us musicians usually use ourselves as electrical testing equipment...

Good luck

Steve
maybe this isn't the cause, but it's not nonsense. i've done it to myself (in other cases) a lot. just wearing a thick sweater then touching metal can give a shock.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 09:50 PM

rofl I'm always full of static except when I play guitar. I could probably put a led in my mouth and light it up at like publix but when I'm playing guitar I get nothing. Is your pc on a carpeted ground? or is it up on a desk?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 02:55 AM

Dude, just go wireless and forget about it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 01:58 PM

You have a ground issue. Static electricity can shock you of course, but you need to generate it, and simply standing still and playing your guitar W/O moving around AT ALL, will not do it.

Depending on how old your house is, the wiring could not be properly grounded. Are you plugging your guitar directly into the computer's sound card or into something else first?

If you are using two different circuits, one on the computer, one for the fx box whatever for the guitar, the polarity could be off. Try using a ground lift plug to remove either the guitar or the the computer from the loop. Just be careful though, as MF_Kitten pointed out

"... actually, if you touch the strings of our guitar and then touch a microphone with your lips, like barely touching it, you get a little ´´licking a 9v battery´´ feeling on your lips... same goes for having your lips/face on the mic and barely touching the strings..."

a ground issue at the very least can hurt, at the most it can KILL.

If you are not comfortable with trying to fix the issue, talk to an electrician. Good luck!

Tags
playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode