Elixir experience! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Talking Elixir experience!

My acoustic was seriously overdue for a string change/set up, and after garnering a few tips from my job I decided to be a bigshot and try out the most expensive strings I could find. After putting the set of 12 guage Elixir polywebs on my acoustic (and lowering the action and cleaning the fretboard) I have to say - It plays better than ever. The strings feel great (I barely notice the "web" that's on the strings) and the tone sounds superb. I may have just converted string brands - just have to see how the electrics suit me

Anyone else try these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Dee

Re: Elixir experience!

Never tried them, but always meant to. Yesterday I gave my aoustic a good sorting out too, but what made the biggest difference to the feel was 0000 grade wire woolling the fretboard and frets. Feels awesome again... and strung with ZOG 9's! I hate to say this, but it plays better than my RG3120!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 02:44 PM

i only use elixirs on my acoustics and acoustic electrics..*************** was having a sale on them so i stocked up and bought 6 packs.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 03:48 PM

Great strings and last forever!

Very useful on trem guitars
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTart View Post
My acoustic was seriously overdue for a string change/set up, and after garnering a few tips from my job I decided to be a bigshot and try out the most expensive strings I could find. After putting the set of 12 guage Elixir polywebs on my acoustic (and lowering the action and cleaning the fretboard) I have to say - It plays better than ever. The strings feel great (I barely notice the "web" that's on the strings) and the tone sounds superb. I may have just converted string brands - just have to see how the electrics suit me

Anyone else try these?

I'm a huge Elixir fan. I've been using them on all of my guitars for about three or four years now, ever since I found out www.juststrings.com sells individual guages so I could assemble custom 7-string sets (a bit of trivia I can thank Elixir themselves for, when I e-mailed them asking if they'd consider marketing 7-string sets since I loved them for my strat but couldn't get them for my sevens). The Nanowebs sound like untreated strings, feel a little smoother than untreated ones, and sound fresh for months. They're pricey, but worth it.

If you like their regular acoustic strings, sometime check out their new Phosphor Bronze strings. It's a string type that's usually associated with bluegrass and is generally a bit twangier than 80/20, but I absolutely love them. In more of a rock vein, it sounds like phosphor bronze strings is responsible for the Days of the New guitar sound, to help put it in perspective... I absolutely love how they sound.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 07:59 PM

You'll find people either love 'em or hate 'em. I love 'em - nanos on electrics (for a more "normal" feel & sound), polys on acoustic (for much less string squeak). Both last a long time and allow me to go a couple months between changes - maybe 3x the time of regulat strings (I don't play so much these days). I'm lazy - so sue me...
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 08:41 PM

I hate them on my electrics! I mean really really hate them, but for my acoustics they just do the right thing and last so much longer and stay crisper so long.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 08:52 PM

Yes for acoustics, they are the only ones I'd buy.

hell no for electrics!!!

it's really an eyes sore to see when the coating peel of and make it all fuzzy and hairy though.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 10:32 AM

Eyesore? Jeez...

For anyone interested, MF has a deal going. Most Elixir sets are $10 there, but I got a private e-mail that says when you put STIXNSTRINGS in the promo code box (on the CART page) you get 30% off. So I just ordered a few sets - worked like a charm, and $7 per set rocks.

Of course, the code works for any other strings or drum sticks there as well.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Wow thanks Jester, that's awesome! No more paying 15 bucks a pack at the local store How long does the promo go for?

Just checked, the ones I put on my acoustic were NOT the new phosphor bronze ones, they were just the 80/20's (what does that stand for???).

I see what looks like some light peeling going on at the D string...wonder if it's going bad - would be surprised though, its only been under a month.

Preferences between Nanoweb and Polyweb?
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 11:18 AM

I use Elixirs on my Suhr - they're fantastic

Cheapest place to get them in the UK is on the bay - about £8 a set
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 11:39 AM

My local store has them for £9 which is pretty damn good!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTER700 View Post
For anyone interested, MF has a deal going. Most Elixir sets are $10 there, but I got a private e-mail that says when you put STIXNSTRINGS in the promo code box (on the CART page) you get 30% off. So I just ordered a few sets - worked like a charm, and $7 per set rocks.
What good timing! Last night I was reading this thread thinking "I need to try these Elixir's out"... for my electrics (I've got so many, it's hard to keep fresh strings on all of 'em), acoustics (don't play 'em that much, but need 'em to sound fresh whenever I pick one up for recording), and basses (just 'cause bass strings are so expensive to begin with). This morning I got the same email from MF and ordered a few sets each of electric/acoustic/bass nanowebs, so it looks like next week will be official re-stringing week. I also ordered a couple sets of D'Addario EXP acoustic & bass strings (which I've also heard good things about) for comparison. The 30% off was a good excuse to try 'em all out.

Of course, I also used this as an excuse to pick up a Peterson Strobostomp, since if I'm taking the time to re-string everything I might as well do setups & intonation, too.

--B
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 12:58 PM

That deal is good through Aug. 22 at midnight.

Yes, the elixirs "peel" or get "hairy" - especially the D string. I don't mind this, some people hate it.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 01:45 PM

http://www.juststrings.com/elixirtshirtspecial.html

Also worth a look - between now and September 30th, if you mail Elixir the reciept from two sets of guitar strings or one set of bass strings and the completed form, they'll send you a free T-shirt. I was due to stock up anyway, so for me it's a free t-shirt for nothing I wouldn't have bought anyway.

Worried about the peeling where you pick as an "eyesore?" What's with you guys? Even when they do start to peel a little bit, the impact on tone is marginal, as the vast majority of the string is still coated.

Tags
peterson strobostomp , trem guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode