Emg Pickups - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Emg Pickups

I have a question,
do all emg pick ups need a batery? because i dont want to charge it ever 3,000 hrs ( i know it seems like a **** load but im lazy) and when ever there is a battery oit makes the thing ur using seem worse, because when it is about to die or close to it, the tone sounds like ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 02:52 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Emg Pickups

all active PUs need battery, there are some pasive EMGs which do not need battery but Dimarzios and Seymour Duncans Sound way better.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 03:26 PM

I'm surprised there isn't another way to power active pups through a special guitar cable (phantom power?) or something. (of course maybe there is and I haven't seen it yet)
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 03:43 PM

Can I use multiple batteries?
Yes. If you've got room for multiple batteries in your guitar, you can use two batteries wired in series to power your onboard circuitry at 18 volts. The output level will not appreciably increase, but you'll have increased headroom and crisper transients. This is especially useful for percussive/slap bass styles where you can generate enormous instantaneous power levels across the entire frequency spectrum.

You can also wire two batteries in parallel to provide a regular 9 volt supply but with much longer lifespan between battery changes.

Although most of our products are rated for 27 volts, we recommend a maximum of 18 volts. The additional benefits of 27 vs. 18 volts are negligible.

How long does the battery last?
All EMG pickups and EQ systems are designed for extremely low current drain. In addition, the pickup jack included with all models has a switch that disconnects the battery when the guitar is not plugged in. To maximize battery life, you should always unplug your guitar when it's not in use.

The Specs Page includes current requirements and estimated battery life for each model. Generally, each pickup requires about 80 microamps (uA), except for the Vintage Series pickups which require 220 uA each. EQ circuit requirements vary widely but are higher than pickups.

For your reference, a standard 9 volt alkaline battery provides 580 milliAmpHours (mAh) of power. That means that it will provide 580 milliAmps for 1 hour or 1 milliamp for 580 hours. There are 1000 uA per mA. You can figure the approximate battery life of any setup by adding up the individual power requirements, then dividing 580,000 by this total. Here's an example:

1 - EMG-81 = 80 uA
2 - EMG-SV = 220 uA*2 = 440 uA
1 - EXG = 410 uA
--------
Total required = 930 uA

Total life = 580,000 uAh/
930 uA = 623 hours
If you left your guitar plugged in day and night, the battery should still last a month. Under normal playing conditions, you would probably be looking at changing the battery twice a year. Of course, you should treat these numbers conservatively and not try to drain every last uA out!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linthat22
I'm surprised there isn't another way to power active pups through a special guitar cable (phantom power?) or something. (of course maybe there is and I haven't seen it yet)
u can use stereo guitar cable and send DC 9 volt in right channel and get guitars signal from left one, u'll need little box which will do this job. (to send electicity to guitar and separate signal to another mono out mounted into this box). but in this case u cant use wireless units which work great with active PUs.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

so if i got a seymour duncan, or Dimarzios i wouldn't have to use a battery?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguitarist7778
so if i got a seymour duncan, or Dimarzios i wouldn't have to use a battery?
Well yeah. Only active pickups need batteries, but the battery thing really isn't a big deal. If you unplug your guitar after you finish practicing (which you should do anyway to keep from yanking it out by accident) then one battery could last you about 6 months. And if your guitar is rear-routed then you can put the battery in the electronics compartment easily. Of course, if your guitar has a pickguard and is front-routed then you'll have to remove the pickgaurd for this but you could simply schedule your battery change around your next string change.

With any pickups, you have to decide what kind of tone you want and choose accordingly. Active EMGs sound drastically different than passive Dimarzios and Seymour Duncan pickups. Some people prefer one over the other while others like to use them both but sometimes for different things.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 02:40 AM

Ive had my EMG 81/85 set in my Ibanez RG520QS for nearly a year now and im using the same battery i bought when i installed the pickups. I measured its voltage the other day and it still had 8.8 volts of power which is plenty. i play anything from 30 mins - 2 hours a day. There has been no change to the sound or loss of power. Man if you can't change a single battery once or twice a year then you are really, really lazy. EMGs are worth the extra effort.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

LoL yeah i am pritty lazy, but the thing is id need some one professional to change the battery, (im not that good when it comes to repair or fixing up a guitar) so it would be a hassle.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 01:25 PM

???

take passives then
what type of sound u want from your guitar?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

death meta, but they also have to pull off good clean tones, but mostly metal.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 04:02 PM

well from Dimarzios i think X2N in Bridge for Hi-gain will do and maybe paf pro fro cleans
from Seymour Duncan Bridge: Invader or Dimebucker and for cleans in neck use '59

someone correct me if i'm wrong
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 04:38 PM

want metal with good cleans? emg's... they are the only high output pickup with a good clean tone. Just get them man... the batteries aren't a big deal.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVampire
want metal with good cleans? emg's... they are the only high output pickup with a good clean tone. Just get them man... the batteries aren't a big deal.
+1

RSVampire is right, it's the bets way
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguitarist7778
id need some one professional to change the battery
Wow. Well good luck!

Tags
clean tone , duncan pickups , output pickup , paf pro , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pickups , seymour duncans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode