ENGL Powerball: any cheaper alternative for metal ? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

ENGL Powerball: any cheaper alternative for metal ?

Hey guys,

I already own a POD X3 live but recently I came across this demo on youtube of a ENGL powerball and I was blown away by the hi gain sounds and clean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud3F1G_EgOA

The ENGL powerball + cabinet would be a fairly expensive combination for my budget (don't want to spend over 600 dollars... but could stretch it up a bit depending on long term investment). Plus I need something a bit smaller to be portable.

My POD can already crank some pretty neat sounds (on headphones at least) but to give it that extra cut, what would the best option be ? A simple but loud solid state amp like a big Fender Frontman ? Or would a small tube amp do that job ? Such as an Epiphone Valve Junior... Blackstar HT-5.. Peavey Valve King ? Cause these amps on their own (as long as I've seen on youtube) can't crank the metal tones I want... but I wonder what happens if you feed them the POD...
I know there's some tube amps to go specially with the PODs such as the Atomic Reactors and stuff however I'd like an amp that can perform well on its own, should the POD fail.

I'm not gigging yet.. just playing in my bedroom however if I am to spend money I'd rather go for a bigger bang and get extra flexibility for the future.

Thanks for any insights

And sorry if this is same old question, but I couldn't find someone with my exact issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:08 AM

Reviews: 12
Re: ENGL Powerball: any cheaper alternative for metal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwalker View Post
Hey guys,

I already own a POD X3 live but recently I came across this demo on youtube of a ENGL powerball and I was blown away by the hi gain sounds and clean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud3F1G_EgOA

The ENGL powerball + cabinet would be a fairly expensive combination for my budget (don't want to spend over 600 dollars... but could stretch it up a bit depending on long term investment). Plus I need something a bit smaller to be portable.

My POD can already crank some pretty neat sounds (on headphones at least) but to give it that extra cut, what would the best option be ? A simple but loud solid state amp like a big Fender Frontman ? Or would a small tube amp do that job ? Such as an Epiphone Valve Junior... Blackstar HT-5.. Peavey Valve King ? Cause these amps on their own (as long as I've seen on youtube) can't crank the metal tones I want... but I wonder what happens if you feed them the POD...
I know there's some tube amps to go specially with the PODs such as the Atomic Reactors and stuff however I'd like an amp that can perform well on its own, should the POD fail.

I'm not gigging yet.. just playing in my bedroom however if I am to spend money I'd rather go for a bigger bang and get extra flexibility for the future.

Thanks for any insights

And sorry if this is same old question, but I couldn't find someone with my exact issue
I was looking into buying an ENGL Fireball which sounds very close to the Powerball but is less compressed and a little more raw sounding. It is also 60 watts 2 channels versus the 100 watt 4 channel Powerball.
At the time the Fireball was a bit pricey for me, so I put off buying a new amp.
Then I ordered a Blackstar HT-5 and my needs were satisfied. Paired with a good 4x12, 2x12, or 1x12 you get very satisfying metal tones for home use. The head goes for between $250-$299 and a used cab can be found for under $400. Very budget friendly considering the quality tones this amp puts out.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I saw some of those Blackstar HT-5 videos on youtube and they were not bad (although not anything like the ENGL tones on the video I saw) however coupled with a POD it might be a totally different story... guess I can only try and find out. The HT-5 seems to be still a fairly convincing amp to jam with friends without having to carry the X3 around (which in my case is a live model, not so portable as the bean)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwalker View Post
Yeah I saw some of those Blackstar HT-5 videos on youtube and they were not bad (although not anything like the ENGL tones on the video I saw) however coupled with a POD it might be a totally different story... guess I can only try and find out. The HT-5 seems to be still a fairly convincing amp to jam with friends without having to carry the X3 around (which in my case is a live model, not so portable as the bean)
A guy named psychodave have a killer HT-5 demo on youtube. The amp really turns into a beast when pushed with an Overdrive pedal.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:51 PM

I would suggest the Atomic Reactor. It's a powered cab, specialy made for modeling preamps (such as POD X3). You'll be able to get the sound of your unit, without it being colored by another preamp.
http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-at-reactor.html
I also think that Tech 21 has a similar model http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/po...rengine60.html

Plus they're both at your price range
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:52 AM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Noord View Post
A guy named psychodave have a killer HT-5 demo on youtube. The amp really turns into a beast when pushed with an Overdrive pedal.
That youtube video really does sell the HT-5, sounds so huge.

Here's the link if people are wondering what the fuss is about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQySG...e=channel_page
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
That youtube video really does sell the HT-5, sounds so huge.

Here's the link if people are wondering what the fuss is about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQySG...e=channel_page
I sure does. Thanks for attaching the link. That's pretty close to the tone I'm getting with my HT-5. Maybe this link should be posted in one of the HT-5 threads for more people to see?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Would the HT-5's watts be enough to play in a bar.. or a small theater ?

Not that I'm gigging yet but if you're cashing out some flexibility would be nice!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 10:52 AM

Reviews: 59

I played around with the head in my guitar center and I'd have to say that it depends on whether you play clean and how big your cab is. With a 2X12/4X12 you could manage small gigs with mostly distorted playing. There isn't enough headroom to keep things pristine clean at those volumes. I found it huge sounding at lower volumes, as they advertise, but was able to sit 2feet away with it totally cranked and not feel like I was going deaf. That's just my experience, someone who actually owns and has tried to use the amp in a jam or gig situation please chime in.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 04:08 AM

Reviews: 120

I reckon with a 4x12 it would be great for small gigs, although as mentioned earlier the clean sound wont be completely clean. It sounds pretty goods still, just a little tiny bit of grit on the clean sound if your strumming/picking is soft.

Tags
eng powerball amp pod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode