EQ - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
EQ

Hey guys.

I watched a video on Reverand Willie / ZZ Top's guitarist using an EQ of some type that I'm trying to find out what type it was.
He would take a picture of the first guitar's EQ curve, and then later when using any other guitar, his tech would adjust the eq to get the same visual EQ curve with another guitar. This way, no matter what guitar he was using, he could get as to the same tone as possible to his favorite tone with his favorite guitar in theory, and could prove it basically using a visually on this EQ rack effect. What effect does anyone know of that might do this? I'd like to have this EQ for just the same reason, unless someone here know's of an easier way to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 AM

Re: EQ

The best EQ rack I've ever had is the Rocktron Pro-Q.
It's a parametric EQ that allows you to add tone you don't even have.
You can also pull or push frequency ranges you can set in the unit.
It also has a Hush built in.
You can even have different setting for the left and right channels.
They are hard to find these days.
I still have mine running with my ADA MP-1 to fine tune the tone and add in some serious low end.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Hey Sebastion,
Thanks m an. Can you see it? I mean visually can you tweak your tone? I need something that's visual, or that will let me at least see the tone curves / eq curves..
Tim
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 11:11 AM

Could you share a link for the video?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 06:21 AM

Why do you need to see tone?
It's all about the ear.
Once your ear is good enough, you can learn in your mind what frequency range means in you mind.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Hi Mertay. I'll find that link if I can. It was on Youtube.. Sebastion, I don't really need the visual part, I have a good ear, but I'll use anything to save time and trouble.. :-) ..

Let me find that URL to the youtube video and I will post it Mertay..Thanks
Tim
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

This is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6DrxfrbbF8 and it's about 8:47 in the video.. you'll see what I'm talking about.. I can't tell what that EQ his using?
Tim
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:21 PM

Ah now I understand, I don't know the hardware but on software its called a match eq.

Though from what I understand its more for gain match to the band when guitars are changed. Think of it as being able to sit in the mix whatever guitar used, it doesn't effect the guitars natural tone; like a telecaster will still sound like a telecaster but mid range won't hurt the audiences ear when used right after a les paul.

Its (match eq) something you can do on the mix stage of an album, first time I saw such use for stage. Makes sense but nothing to overthink, same can be done with traditional eq(s).
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Mertay.. I thought it was a good idea.. Just wondering how they did it.. Didn't understand and still dont.. lol

Tags
eq effects , eq rack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode