Equipment advice - Any suggestions? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Equipment advice - Any suggestions?

Okay, here's the thing. I live in Japan and some of you may know, we live in small houses that are like snuggled up against one another. :biggrin: In other words, I can't crank up a 100W Marshall without having my next door neighbor throw a rock into my window!

My question is, what kind of equipment would you recommend to get a moderate sound for indoors playing. Something affordable would be greatly appreciated!

For my amp, I currently have a 40W Yamaha amp. The only reason why I use a Yamaha is because I got it free!
For effects, I recently bought a ZOOM 606 multi-effects processor because they are so cheap! (I got it for 7,900 yen new, which is about 60 bucks).

Here's the problem. The sound I get is too light. Although I can get a pretty good rhythm sound, the sound sucks when it comes to lead. Basically, all I'm getting is the sound of my pick and whatever tone I do hear is really thin. I tried different settings, but no hope. I'm sick of the thing already... I used to own a BOSS ME-10 about 10 years ago and that thing really rocked.

So, suggestions to replace the above are greatly appreciated! Should I replace the amp, the processor or both?

-raijin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 09:09 PM

Equipment advice

I'd recommend Line6. *Any of their products are designed to distort like they're cranked, but at low volumes. *I really enjoy my Flextone II (60w) and never bring it above 3.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 09:47 PM

Equipment advice

I'd check out a Johnson J-Station. *I got turned onto it from the latest Iron Maiden DVD, Adrian Smith plays some of the parts off of Number of the Beast on a J-Station with almost no volume (you can hear the guitar's natural sound over the distorted sound) and it sounds pretty awesome. *To top it off, I think they're $150-200. *Check out the reviews on Harmony Central.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Equipment advice

Thanks for the feedback!

I will look into both and see if they are available here.

Again, thanks a bunch!

-raijin
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 12:59 PM

Equipment advice

Line6 Pod 2.0 is a great piece of equipment, check it out!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Equipment advice

Yeah, I was just visiting the Line 6 website and noticed POD 2.0. Looks pretty cool! I think there were sample sounds on one of the CDs that came with Young Guitar. It's gotta be around here somewhere...

Thanks for all the advice, I'll be going down to the local guitar shop real soon to check some prices!

Tags
adrian smith , guitar shop , iron maiden , local guitar shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode