ever tried this digitech preamp? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

ever tried this digitech preamp?

I simply HAVE to replace my DOD G7 preamp,
and today i tried out a digitech gsp 21 pro.
ever tried it? didn't sound that bad to me....

please tell me what you think...

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 08:45 AM

The Digitech GSP21 Pro was my first FX box ever (which I think I got used about 10 years ago). I remember it being pretty flexible and having decent sound for the money. However, if you have the means, and can find one, I'd recommend upgrading to one of the Digitech tube preamps like the ValveFX, GSP2101, GSP2112, or GSP2120. The distorted tone and variety of FX is much better on the later models.

--Brent
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 03:08 PM

Reviews: 1
I hated the GSP21... Really, like the post before me, try out the newer stuff like the 2120 etc... Still nothing like a seperate tube-peamp, but pretty good!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 04:42 PM

GSP2101

Hey,

I would spend just a little more ($250) and get a 2101. They are the best out there IMO. Stay away from the 21 legends or pros. :0

Jason
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 05:34 PM

I've just bought a 2120. I took it straight home and plugged it in. Initially I thought god this thing is awful when I heard the presets, so i thought maybe i should leave it alone and read the manual first. The next day I spent four hours setting it up and I'm starting to get some excellent sounds out of it now. The important thing is to find the right settings in all of the combined effects to achieve a decent tone - |Compressor| tube-preamp|EQ|Speaker cab|- then you can add reverbs and delays.

If you can find one cheap enough, I'd go for a 2120 but you will have to work at it to find your tone.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant711UK
Initially I thought god this thing is awful when I heard the presets, so i thought maybe i should leave it alone and read the manual first. The next day I spent four hours setting it up and I'm starting to get some excellent sounds out of it now.
Yeah, that's a good point... every Digitech preamp I've ever tried had pretty bad stock presets--usually way too many FX, harsh distortions, etc. It takes some time to get it right, but when you do, it'll be worth it.

--B
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 08:20 PM

Is that the Legend series? I have owned a Digitech Legend GSP 21 for about 11 years now (I THINK I got it in '92.. kinda hazy). What other people have said is true. The stock sounds are total CRAP (save for a few of the stock clean presets).

The "Metal tube" distortion setting is incredibly weak. The overdrive setting, when selected, is VERY effective. You just need to learn how to tweak the perfect settings to get your sound on the graphic equalizer (took me a while to figure out how to scoop the damn midrange out). Once you figure the equalizer out though, you can get some REALLY awesome sounds out of the thing.

Has some top-notch clean sounds, too. Frank's Dreamtime is one of my favorites, as is Canyon Chorus.

Tags
distorted tone , speaker cab , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode