Everything you know about amplifiers is... - Page 8 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 08:08 AM

Talking Re: Everything you know about amplifiers is...

Labels??? We don't need no stinking Labels!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:33 AM

Re: Everything you know about amplifiers is...

Even though everything I know about amplifiers is wrong, I think i'll still stick with Mesa Boogie and Line 6.

Rock on!
post #108 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby simcox View Post
Bro, fr an amp marketer and guitar player perspective, You are probably Correct!!! However, Alex doesn't truley fit that mold!!! Alex doesn't make guitars and amps for a living!!! He sells wind instruments for that!!! Guitar building and amp designing is his Passion!!! What he does is build what he likes, and offers it to whom ever he thinks can utilize it in a "worthy" manner!!!
Now alot of folks don't like that attitude, but, personally, i have no problem w/ it!!!
You're missing my point, though. Your comment was that a player wants the amp to color the sound somewhat, since that coloration has been such a large part of guitar history that it's become the hallmark of good tone. However, the builder wants something totally transparent to let him really hear the guitar while auditioning it to make sure it's ok.

So, while I'm not saying it doesn't make sense to build one or two perfectly transparent amps to listen for minute imperfections (though personally I'm NOT sure I buy this), what's the point of then trying to sell them to the same people who DO value that very coloration?

I mean, go give "Texas Flood" as spin. Vaughan's tone on that disc was, for a large number of guitar players, about as good as it gets. Yet, while he's not "hiding behind gain or effects" in ANY sense of the word, it's also very obviously not just the sound of a '54 Stratocaster with a microphone put in front of it, you know? The amp is adding a lot of the magic to the sound of the guitar and the sound of Vaughan's fingers on the fretboard.
post #109 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 11:02 PM

Red face Re: Everything you know about amplifiers is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
You're missing my point, though. Your comment was that a player wants the amp to color the sound somewhat, since that coloration has been such a large part of guitar history that it's become the hallmark of good tone. However, the builder wants something totally transparent to let him really hear the guitar while auditioning it to make sure it's ok.

So, while I'm not saying it doesn't make sense to build one or two perfectly transparent amps to listen for minute imperfections (though personally I'm NOT sure I buy this), what's the point of then trying to sell them to the same people who DO value that very coloration?

I mean, go give "Texas Flood" as spin. Vaughan's tone on that disc was, for a large number of guitar players, about as good as it gets. Yet, while he's not "hiding behind gain or effects" in ANY sense of the word, it's also very obviously not just the sound of a '54 Stratocaster with a microphone put in front of it, you know? The amp is adding a lot of the magic to the sound of the guitar and the sound of Vaughan's fingers on the fretboard.
Bro, no offence meant, but i did understand Your point fr the offset, and for the most part, i agree w/ it!!!
my point is that the Zacharys are Niche amps aimed at a particular Niche in the marketplace, one trick ponies so to speak!!! They are a Class A amp that's built to Alex's specs to deliver the sound pallet that He looks for in an amp!!! If that's Your Niche, then by all means check one out, but if not, don't waste Yer time!!! Honestly, i've never even played through a Zach amp, or the Zach Overdrive pedal, so i refrain fr making any good or bad comments about them!!! i have talked to Alex about him designing a 50 watt combo that can switch btw 50 and 25 watts, w/ an additional gain stage and an effects loop, but i haven't seen or heard anything more about that!!! Til then, i'll probably just keep my eye on that Mesa/Boogie Lone Star!!!
post #110 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby simcox View Post
Alex doesn't make guitars and amps for a living!!! He sells wind instruments for that!!! Guitar building and amp designing is his Passion!!! What he does is build what he likes,
I was avoiding mentioning what his main business is, partly because of the crap talking and it doesn't really make any difference here. I'm sure if anyone cares they could find it anyway. The point is true, though, the guitar stuff is done out of passion not for a living.

Tags
acoustic guitar , boost pedal , clean tone , combo amp , death metal , eric johnson , gauge strings , gibson les paul , gibson les pauls , guitar players , guitar playing , high gain amp , leo fender , les paul , les pauls , mesa boogie , morbid angel , music store , overdrive pedal , pat metheny , picking technique , playing guitar , preamp gain , rivera tbr , stomp box , string acoustic , suhr guitars , ted nugent , tube amp , tube combo , tube combos , van halen , zachary guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode