Expensive equipment a waste of money? - Page 4 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 11:06 PM

Re: Expensive equipment a waste of money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRyan View Post

I'll prolly still end up with the Hughes and Kettner triamp or a Boogie mark IV, (or both) but for roughly 1/3 the triamp and 1/2 the Mark I scored an amp that makes me smile every time I plug in.
So you are saying it was worth it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 11:09 PM

When it comes down to it - it's really only you playing the guitar. Nobody else cares what you're playing. If you're happy playing a squier strat then cool - but if you've got the money and want to pamper yourself - by all means go ahead.
post #48 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
but are they on par with a regular PRS? Can both be "great" if one clearly outshines the other? It may be a good price for what you get, but, although I havent played an SE, I'd be willing to be it just isnt a PRS in any way than the name. TO me "great gutiar for the money" clearly signifies, not as good as what it's modeled after, but a decent attempt.
Well they come out of the World Music Factory in Korea, so technically I suppose that is totally correct Cid, however the quality control is miles above anything else I've seen come out of World, so I assume PRS are keeping a pretty close eye on what is produced - I have often considered buying an SE Singlecut in Whale Blue as a spare for my Whale Blue US PRS Singlecut, and haven't as I suspect the SE costing roughly a quarter of what the US PRS cost might depress me a bit! The SE are NOT great in the same way that US PRSs are great, but if I was out there looking to spend $1200AUD on a guitar right now, I just couldn't go past one.

On that note, apparently all "Crafted in Japan" Fenders come straight out of the Tokai factory (I got that directly from the only guy in Sydney who imports CIJ Fenders - Fender Australia won't sell them!), so technically they are not Fenders, but I've got to say that my CIJ Fender Custom Telecaster is rocking my world very severely right now! Again, it's not great in the way that my Custom Shop Strat is great, but for less than a quarter of the price, it is a really, really good guitar - actually it is a really good guitar at any price - maybe I was just lucky!
post #49 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx2k View Post
I'm sorry, Dino. I thought you said you DIDN'T want expensive equipment, and wanted GOOD equipment. But, THEN, you say you like Zachary stuff......hmm.......interesting........
Hey, I never said that I don't have my share of expensive crap.

The zachary's are good, I can justify the price of a one of a kind handmade guitar. I do have to admit that I can be overindulgent at times. Do I need two Zachary's, or the third one he will be building for me? Not really. One would be enough, but I like them and want more. I played a Samick (That I got for free!) for a few years and was happy. I guess I can be gleeful and tinker with my gear in private, and humbly lower my head in public.

I was a little harsh in my first post, sometimes quality gear costs more to design and build, but there is such a thing as too much. Sometimes you really are just paying for cosmetics and name recognition.

BTW, Racerx2K, What did you end up doing with that Squire I sent you?
post #50 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 05:08 AM

Something that's taken me a long time to realise it's what's been said earlier. The amp and cab REALLY matters. I have guitars ranging from an Epiphone SG to a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Both have been modded to my specs, both play really well and both sound great. Quite a way apart in terms of value, but both are gig worthy and recordable.

I've had a few amps over the years:

Peavey practice amp
Marshall 8080 combo
Marshall JTM 30 combo
Marshall JTM60 combo
Laney GH50L head

I now use early 70s Laney Klipp heads live and they have a great vintage tone. Top quality components, and point-to-point wiring means easy maintenance etc. You can really hear the difference of good components. I use 1936 and 1960 Marshall cabs, not the cheaper ones, as they sound a lot better - more solid with a greater depth of tone.

For me, having a great amp that sounds superb makes me feel better when I'm playing, so I play better. Plus I enjoy it more.

If you're on a limited budget, I would always advise investing in the best amp you can. Guitars can be easily upgraded afterwards. Amps can't so to get the best tone for the buck, get a great amp.

Buy the Mesa
post #51 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 06:32 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative View Post
If music is being made and it is enriching the soul of the player, then who cares if it's played on a RG or a Jem or a LP.
I agree with you, only I think many people are buying expensive stuff for bragging rights rather than to make music, unfortunately. There are people I know who stand on stage in front of 3 full Marshall stacks with 6 cabinets and a Custom Shop Les Paul. Do they have any talent? Not at all. They are just in love with the image of themselves standing on stage in front of 3 Marshall stacks with imaginary crowds of adoring fans, and somehow, they think that buying all this gear is gonna get them there. Guitarists are very egotistical. On the other hand, I can think of someone like Frank Dunnery who could rip most other guitarists a new hole on his Squier Strat using only his left hand, no distortion, just playing through a small combo amp.

Buying lots of expensive gear doesn't really mean sh*t if you can't use it to it's full potential. I've played guitars costing thousands that I thought were completely uncomfortable. I've played cheap guitars for £50 that were amazingly enjoyable to play and brought the best out in my playing. Having worked in music stores, I have also sold gear like this. So for me, there is no hard and fast rule, this conversation as too many variables. Sometimes you stumble across a bargain piece of gear that sounds or plays wonderfully, and sometimes a super expensive guitar or amp is gonna do your playing no favours at all. People often talk sh*t about the V-Amp Pro, but I like it and it's all I've got. Some of these people have no talent at all, yet they own many thousands of pounds/dollars worth of equipment.

It's not what you wear, it's how you wear it.
post #52 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee
Buying lots of expensive gear doesn't really mean sh*t if you can't use it to it's full potential
But if the person with the 3 stacks, 6 cabs and Custom Shop Les Paul can afford it and is enjoying him/herself then that's all that matters. You only live once, have fun if it makes you feel like a rock star

As Dee says, guitarists can be egotistical but they can also be very jealous.
post #53 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 06:57 AM
Dee

Absolutely, if it makes them happy, great, but as for super expensive equipment making them sound any better, it ain't necessarily so!
post #54 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 07:52 AM

Hell no
post #55 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Hey, I never said that I don't have my share of expensive crap.

The zachary's are good, I can justify the price of a one of a kind handmade guitar. I do have to admit that I can be overindulgent at times. Do I need two Zachary's, or the third one he will be building for me? Not really. One would be enough, but I like them and want more. I played a Samick (That I got for free!) for a few years and was happy. I guess I can be gleeful and tinker with my gear in private, and humbly lower my head in public.

I was a little harsh in my first post, sometimes quality gear costs more to design and build, but there is such a thing as too much. Sometimes you really are just paying for cosmetics and name recognition.

BTW, Racerx2K, What did you end up doing with that Squire I sent you?
I actually had to shelf the project for a while, but am back, working on it, since the weather is cooperating. Ended up needing a neck for another project, so I stole the neck from that one for it.
So far, to date, I have routed the body, to accomodate a neck and bridge humbucker, routed for a recessed trem, and actually had to create a metal bridge bracing, so as not to blow out the wood in front of the trem, because there isn't alot of meat in front of it. Plus, I am going to use a set of trem posts that are connected with a plate, to further add to the structural stability. I also filled in the factory jack location, and drilled and bored for a side jack, ala Charvel. Currently it is sitting in primer, after a sandthrough or two (re-shot the last, recent primer coat, yesterday). Once THAT'S all set, and I do a final primer sand, and all is well, it is gonna get a top coat of 7up green. The stock pickguard has already been modded for the HSH configuration, as well as the trem. The center single coil pickup cover was re-finned in pink, and I have a set of Ibanez/Dimarzio hums sitting there, that will have the bobbins re-finned, as well: The bridge in creme, the one bobbin on the neck pickup in the same, matching pink.
If you look closely to the mods and paint scheme, you MAY realize where I'm heading with this......

By the way, Dino, thanks alot for being such a cool guy, and handing over this guitar for such a schlub as me! Having fun tinkering with it, and learning alot, as I go.
post #56 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 10:41 AM

I couldn't care less if someone buys an expensive LP and a bunch of Marshall stacks and can't play very well (or has 'no talent'..)

No more than I care if the guy driving the fancy car has the skills and reaction times of Michael Schumacher, or the guy buying some titanium golf club can hit a ball as well as Tiger Woods.

Anybody who does care about these things is probably jealous. Jealousy is a nasty emotion and a waste of time, get over it.
post #57 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Dee

LOL. You really think I'm jealous of some goon with a pile of expensive gear and no talent? You're dreaming. I have confidence in my abilities as a musician and I'll hold my own against anyone you want to mention. I'll take the sh*tty gear and rip them a new hole, then we'll see who gets the respect at the end of the day. You obviously know nothing about me. No jealousy here, thank you very much.
post #58 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
LOL. You really think I'm jealous of some goon with a pile of expensive gear and no talent? ......
.... You obviously know nothing about me.
All I know is what you give me to go on. You're putting down some guy because he has 'no talent'. Thats snobbery and arrogance right there..

Why are you using this guy as an example? - Because he has a Custom Les Paul and a bunch of Marshalls. There's jealousy for you...

Snobbery, arrogance and jealousy. Not a happy man from the sounds of it...?
post #59 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I agree with you,

OOOOH Thank you! I like it when people agree with me.
post #60 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Dee

I'm happy with what I own, it does what I need it to and I appreciate that I'm lucky enough to own it. It's not snobbery and arrogance at all. I'm putting down the sucker who slaves away all week to buy the latest piece of expensive gear so he can show off to his friends yet doesn't know what the f*ck to do with it. I've seen it too often and it's not impressive, nor does it make anyone jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo_child View Post
Why are you using this guy as an example? - Because he has a Custom Les Paul and a bunch of Marshalls.
No, not because he owns that stuff, but because he thinks it'll impress his friends.

Tags
amp tone , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , coil pickup , combo amp , custom ibanez , custom shop , david mccarroll , deluxe strat , distortion pedal , eddie van halen , electric guitar , epiphone les paul , epiphone les paul standard , fender custom shop , gibson les paul , gibson les paul standard , guitar players , guthrie govan , ibanez guitars , ibanez rgr , jem bfp , kettner switchblade , kettner triamp , les paul , les paul custom , les paul standard , les pauls , local music store , marshall cabs , marshall jtm , marshall jvm , marshall tsl , mesa boogie , mesa nomad , mexican strat , music store , neck pickup , peavey bandit , peavey jsx , peavey valveking , pickup cover , playing guitar , practice amp , recessed trem , signature guitar , sounding guitar , squier strat , squire strat , steve vai , string gauges , strobe tuner , tube amp , tube amps , tube head , tuning pegs , van halen , vox valvetronix , zachary guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode