Expensive equipment a waste of money? - Page 7 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 07:05 AM

Re: Expensive equipment a waste of money?

For what it's worth, every major, major jazz dude playing in Sydney at the moment (and they are all amazingly good!) seems to play a cheap Telecaster clone stripped back to the wood....

And they can all play circles around me, or for that matter anyone else I know who has "expensive" gear! Oh yeah, and they all sound superb!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufes View Post
You have no idea of what you're talking about.
I agree BTW. Squiers are great for what you pay for 'em (so, to a lesser degree are Epis), but to say the major difference is the name on the headstock is just plain wrong.
post #93 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 06:53 PM

I say buy what the gear that fits YOUR playing as best as you can, and if it is at your standards, then that's fine. For me right now, that's a ibanez gsa60. cheap, simple, but it has everything i need.
post #94 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 12:25 AM

For me 3 things are important when considering new gear.Reliability,playability and good sounding.A guitar must stay in tune,sound decent and be easy to play.An amp must sound good and be reliable.I like good looking stuff with all the trimmings, but if it doesn't meet the above criteria it doesn't stay around long.I'm gigging in one band and getting ready to gig with another band.Plus throw a recording project in the mix and I can't afford timewise to always be messing with or repairing stuff.My experience has been,Cheap gear= frustration.Mid priced=adequate and usable,very expensive=fun,but not miles above mid priced,usually an eye candy factor attached.The only exception would be some boutique amp tones= big dough if you just have to have that tone.Fortunately,I don't.Its true if you sound crappy on a 15watt practice amp,you will sound crappy through a full stack.Its also true that a good player can make cheap gear sound good.I know there is some kid right now sitting in his bedroom playing a cheap copy guitar through a cheap ss amp having hours and hours of fun playing and he could probably play circles around me because he doesn't care about gear,only playing.But I know when he gets in a band and can't decide what gear he wants,he will waste all his playing time on the internet posting.Thus not threatening my meager musical carreer!
post #95 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashrox View Post
I'm sorry, but I disagree with you there.

the difference between squires and USA fenders are the materials used, hardware used, paint used for colours etc. Same goes for Gibson & Epiphone.

I own a Affinity Squire Strat and a Fender Mexican Strat.

The Squire Affinity Strat uses cheap hardware, electronics & body, while the Mex uses better quality parts, better electronics etc.

Also The Zachery stuff is bull**** too.. The string gauges are wrong...his guitars are better than gibson/fender/prs...thats all bull****. the guy is a dickhead.

At The End of the day, If a guitar sounds/plays good, cheap or not, thats all that matters.
They throw you a few bones for the extra $$$, but really there is not much difference. Ive had strat copies, Mexican, and American strats... A Hello Kitty Squire can get the job done just as well with the right setup. Be happy with your current line up, because beyond that the "magic" is all in the cosmetics... CNC machines work the same anywhere in the world. Actually it is not because the expensive stuff is crappy, it is because the cheap stuff is so much better than it once was. I remember when affordable guitars were basically unplayable. It is amazing what you can get these days for $200.

^^^ That strap is sweet!

Last edited by Dino; 05-23-2007 at 02:03 AM.
post #96 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 04:30 AM
Eco

CNC machines have next to nothing to do with quality, they all get checked and thats where quality drops.

Gibsons and Epiphones are nothing like each other, theres been a few of both in my house and the gibsons and miles ahead, maybe not £1300 ahead, but still pretty far.

They dont even have the same clears, the woods better quality and everything.
post #97 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 05:21 AM

That's interesting, because I had an Epiphone Les Paul, whereas the other two guitar players in my band had actual Gibsons. All three of us agreed that mine played much better than theirs. They were amazed, as was I.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Never just go by name. Go by the actual, individual instrument. Dino is right: The cheap stuff IS much better than it used to be, and I'm willing to bet that anybody that doesn't realize that, wasn't around 20 years or more ago, to remember just how BAD the cheaper guitars WERE.
post #98 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx2k View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Never just go by name. Go by the actual, individual instrument.
+100%

My #1 gigging guitar is an Epiphone SG that's been pimped up with new electrics. It's had a full setup including a light fret dress in a couple of areas and it plays superbly. Everyone who's played it have commented on it as being a great SG. A mate of mine even think's it's the best playing/sounding guitar in my collection.
post #99 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 08:52 AM

Here's my take on it: I started playing about 30 years ago and over the next 10 years played on dirt cheap 'instruments'. They were total sh1t and would never sound any better. I gave up to concentrate on other things and only started again last year. I own 3 Epiphones which I like well enough, but I also have a LP, a J-Custom, a Jem7VWH and just bought a VG Strat.

I have the money to pay for expensive equipment (within reason) without running into debt. I have scrimped over the last 25 years to do so and I am perfectly entitled to enjoy my middle aged crisis in any manner I see fit. Guitars are considerably cheaper than sports cars, so there isn't any room for complaint.

I bought them for myself and myself alone, and I enjoy every moment I spend with them. Anyone who says there's anything wrong with that can get well and truly stuffed.

Menopausal (female or male) guitarists of the world unite!
post #100 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 09:47 AM

Red face Re: Expensive equipment a waste of money?

i want a Hello Kitty strap!!!
post #101 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 12:13 PM

With the busywood?
post #102 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 04:09 PM

Reviews: 130

I think the kicker here is whether you're happy with the feel of what's in your hands and the sound that comes out of your amp. If you love the way a Crate 15-watt solid state combo sounds, mic that beyotch up and go to town. If you like the way the Squier feels over the American Strat, buy the Squier.

I have 33 guitars and a plethora of amps. Why? Because to me, there's something special about each one. I like the way my Ibanez guitars with Wizard necks feel overall. I like the punchy sound of my Les Paul Limited. I like the warmer sound of my Epiphone Les Paul Standard. My Squier strat (with Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pickups) sounds every bit as good (to me) as every American Fender I've played (ok, so possibly I'm tone deaf). I traded my Marshalls for Hughes & Kettner because I can get the Marshall sound with them, and more! I love my little VOX Valvetronix 30-watt for quick "plug and play" practicing at low volumes. I'm having tons of fun playing with my new GT-8. My hot-rodded Epiphone Valve Junior 5-watt head running through a 4x12 produces tone that most Marshall fans would die for.

Bottom line--the money's spent. I'm not wishing I'd bought this or that or the other thing. I like what I feel and what I hear. I play ALL of my guitars and amps. If I don't touch a guitar or amp in over 6 months, it gets sold for extra $$$ to buy something else. I'm happy. My friend bought a Marshall JVM head. It sounds great!!! I'm not buying one. He has his tone, I have mine. The world has changed--Marshall stacks have been replaced by GarageBand software and Pro Tools. Class A is back. Mic your combo, or run your GT-8 straight to the board. Find YOUR tone... and conquer the world with it.
post #103 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 04:13 PM

Reviews: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Exactly. Thank you.

To elaborate further, I know (or at least used to know) someone like this. He would buy the most expensive equipment just to show off. He couldn't use it, it didn't impress anyone and it didn't make him sound any better. He looked down on me and my friends because we didn't have much gear. If you knew him, you would probably agree he is a grade A @sshole. No, I don't think about him and it's nothing to do with jealousy. Skill-wise, I could wipe the floor with him even playing a cheap piece of crap, but I was just pointing out that there are people like this around. If someone took it the wrong way, sorry, but to call me "jealous" or "arrogant" is stupid, you don't know me. If you did, you'd see I was the exact opposite of what you thought. Who cares anyway. That guy was (and probably still is) a twat, end of story.
Dude--why you gotta hate on me like that? I don't have the most expensive equipment... (Although I DID finally hear a Cornford and agree with you 100%)
post #104 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
I don't want expensive equipment! I want good equipment. If good equipment was cheap, I would take that all day long over the expensive stuff. That is why we play Ibanez, right? Korean Ibanez = or > anything Gibson or Fender ever made. Prestige/J-custom Ibanez > any other production guitar.

That is why I like Zachary stuff. Awesome handmade goodness for the same price or less than a ho-hum run of the mill PRS, or any custom shop really. Plus a builder that is passionate about what he does.

The biggest difference between a Squire and a USA Fender is the sticker on the headstock. Same with Epiphone and Gibson.

Amps can be a real rip off. For $3500 They should be able to open it up and show you where it took them two weeks to hand wire and solder each connection. By technician that gets paid a livable wage.
you're going a bit too far here.. korean ibanez's are garbage. those 350 dx's or absolute crap.. you cannot compare one of those to an american deluxe stratocaster.. you'd have to be out of your mind
post #105 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 03:34 PM

as for zachary guitars.. you gotta be kidding me man.. most of the designs are awful looking--- none the less, the guys site is totally unprofessional, and he doesnt know how to dial in a good tone or play.. i watched the clips of him trying to play and he had some awful chorus tone, and was clearly tone deaf, he was playing completely atonal.. it was bad.. i was actually getting interested until i heard how bad his tone was and how awful of a player he is.. bottom line is, if he doesnt know what sounds good, i could not take any of his **** serious..

Tags
amp tone , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , coil pickup , combo amp , custom ibanez , custom shop , david mccarroll , deluxe strat , distortion pedal , eddie van halen , electric guitar , epiphone les paul , epiphone les paul standard , fender custom shop , gibson les paul , gibson les paul standard , guitar players , guthrie govan , ibanez guitars , ibanez rgr , jem bfp , kettner switchblade , kettner triamp , les paul , les paul custom , les paul standard , les pauls , local music store , marshall cabs , marshall jtm , marshall jvm , marshall tsl , mesa boogie , mesa nomad , mexican strat , music store , neck pickup , peavey bandit , peavey jsx , peavey valveking , pickup cover , playing guitar , practice amp , recessed trem , signature guitar , sounding guitar , squier strat , squire strat , steve vai , string gauges , strobe tuner , tube amp , tube amps , tube head , tuning pegs , van halen , vox valvetronix , zachary guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode