Fast Fret - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
Fast Fret

I bought a tube of this on monday, I haven't used it yet, is it any good? And does anyone have any tips of its use? Any downsides? etc etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 08:43 AM

Re: Fast Fret

Tips ?????
for god's sake it's just a lubrificant,!!!!!!
I guess you don't have any experince with lubrificants !!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

lol 'thats what she said'

well i walked into that one I thought I may as well ask as you get all sorts of guitar tips on here.

Mind you, I wouldnt touch your strings, god knows where else your tube of lube's been
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 09:49 AM

Reviews: 3

My friend used to use it on his guitars and it made for a slippery mess when I played his them. He used way to much of it.

I use something (can't remember if it's fast fret or not) and use only a SMALL amount half way thru a set and rub it up and down the stings a couple of times. Works pretty well when you sweat during a show and will help eliminate friction caused by sweaty hands.

But don't overdo it or your hand will be up and down the neck. (Think of a car breaking hard in the snow. Ha ha)
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 10:07 AM

Reviews: 18

Don't mean to hijack but...

has anyone ever used the Selmer bore oil? I just bought a little bottle yesterday and I'm going to lube the fretboard on my ovation elite tonight. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

Jimmy
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 10:10 AM

Hijacking a thread..... Is this the latest form of Internet terrorism?
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

right, see that was helpful, a small dab then. can you also use it to clean frets?
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 10:27 AM

I've heard people mention the downside of everything that you can put on a guitar neck, and in honesty I haven't seen any damage done to a guitar from a string lube in my 35 years of playing. So, if you like it use it. Mention Finger Ease to people and they'll scream about the damage it can do, but Petrucci uses tons of it

So, Fast Fret is a string cleaner, so it should add a bit of life and I would assume brightness to your strings. Finger Ease is a silcone string lube/neck conditioner that makes it that much easier to play the strings, by making them slippery, so to speak. Bore Oil is a wood conditioner, and isn't really meant to affect the strings but treat the often neglected (unfinished) wood of your neck. Think rosewood, and ebony for bore oil, not maple which is typically finished. Lemon oil does the same, but Martin Guitars does specifically mention in their case candy that it can eat through nitro-cellulose finishes. Again, I've never seen it happen, and Martins have been around for well over 100 years at this point, as has lemon oil.

jim
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

thanks for that Jim. So to clean my frets I need Bore oil (all my guitars are rosewood).

Which is best bore oil or lemon oil, or is it just individual preference?
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Dee

Fret Doctor. The best.

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

I asked the shop owner for fret doctor as it had been recommended on here, but he looked at me with a blank expression, so I went for fast fret.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 12:02 PM

I suppose these products will also increase the life of the frets? Seems like this would be the case.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
So, Fast Fret is a string cleaner, so it should add a bit of life and I would assume brightness to your strings.
jim
in my country it is a lubrificant.It's a pleasure playing after used it.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Dude....between this and being the official spokesman for the RG550 ya gotta be making a mint

Fast Fret does seem to be a big thing in the UK (from what I've seen)

They're like, you don't use fast fret???

I'll go Dee's method thanks Fast Fret to me is TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO slippery.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1973 View Post
I asked the shop owner for fret doctor as it had been recommended on here, but he looked at me with a blank expression, so I went for fast fret.
Fret Doctor is made by a one man operation, Mr Edmund Boyle, who is a very nice dude and worth supporting. You have to purchase FD directly from him (info is on the web page).

There is no realistic comparison that can be made between Fast Fret and Fret Doctor. Fast Fret is a string lube, and Fret Doctor is a fretboard conditioner for rosewood, ebony, etc. Not intended for maple. I must stress that, when a fretboard is kept clean and conditioned with Fret Doctor, there is no need to use a string lube. FD also makes a great string cleaner. Pop some on a cloth, give the strings a good clean with it and feel how slick it is.

Let me assure you, Fret Doctor is wonderful stuff. I know I sound like a salesman, but occasionally something comes along that very few people know about, and it really works well. People need to know about it.

Last edited by Dee; 10-12-2007 at 12:31 PM.

Tags
ernie ball , fast fret , guitar shop , maple neck , playing guitar , rosewood board , rosewood boards , steel wool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode