fender hot rod deluxe question - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

fender hot rod deluxe question

ive just got a fender hot rod deluxe and it sounds great!
the only probelem is that when i switch from distortion to clean using the footswitch, there is a loud click and a slight delay. is this a common probelem? does anyone know how to rectify this?
thanks for any input
t
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 03:48 PM

Re: fender hot rod deluxe question

No it is not normal, sad to say what *is* normal about that amp is problems with the switching. I sold mine before it got wonky (well, it got wonky once or twice on my..would not switch or got stuck). The bloody thing uses transistors to switch, not a relay so no reason for either noise nor a delay. Too bad as it is a real nice sounding amp - I loved the reverb on that thing....

IMHO if you can return it that might be best...if not, make sure you get the straight dope on fixing it, there's a few typical things that go wrong. Best place for this info is the Fender forum www.fenderforum.com.

They are a bit straight-laced there but the guys on the board know fender in & out. There is a subforum just for new Fender amps.

Arm yourself with all the knowledge you can so if the tech seems clueless you can hand it over to him....good luck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 04:57 PM

yeah i had one of those; its a peice of crap if u bought it for rock but anything else it sounds terrific.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

im mainly soft rock/jazz so its ok. i think i will send it back and try a different one.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 05:48 PM

you can use the clean channel......and your choice of distortion/fuzz/ whatever pedal.....and its awesome

basically what im saying.is for the money it a versatile amp
my opinion ofcourse
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 05:53 PM

honky tonk has a good point - the good thing about the HRD is its clean channel & reverb. It *does* sound great with pedals. The gain channel I found a bit frustrating unless it was REALLY LOUD. At high volumes yes the overdrive worked nicely...but I was going deaf!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 05:59 PM

dig that. i use a hot rod deville 4x10". the clean is awesome. the not-clean is not-awesome. so i only use the clean, and for not-clean i use a boss gt6.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 04:20 PM

Okay, first of all: i haven't got alot of experience with amps. My amp now is a Marshall MG30DFX, i use it with a Boss ME50. I play mostly classic rock in a coverband, some of the songs we play to give you an idea: Cream-Strange Brew, Let's have a party, Deep purple-Black night, Lenny Kravitz-are you gonna go my way, Pearl Jam-Alive, Jimi Hendrix-Purple Haze, Metallica-For whom the bell tolls, Bryan Adams-Run to You, Hotel California ...
So i need something quite versatile(it offcourse doesn't have to emulate those tones perfectly, just has to sound good in those kind of songs) I'd like it to be an all tube amp too. AND i'm on a budget too
I've been thinking about the Fender hot rod deville 410 (I've tested that one, and on lower to mid volumes it sounded better to me than a Mesa Boogie Nomad, and i actually quite liked the distortion) But now i see an Engl Screamer 50Watt Combo and a Mesa Boogie F30 (both for 800 Euros untill now) on **** for cheaper than the fender. Are those worth it to go test them in my case?
Thanks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom B
I've been thinking about the Fender hot rod deville 410 (I've tested that one, and on lower to mid volumes it sounded better to me than a Mesa Boogie Nomad, and i actually quite liked the distortion) But now i see an Engl Screamer 50Watt Combo and a Mesa Boogie F30 (both for 800 Euros untill now) on **** for cheaper than the fender. Are those worth it to go test them in my case?
Thanks
There are a few nice Laney VC30 and VC50 combos on the bay in Europe that would suit your songlist as well.

Tags
boogie nomad , engl screamer , fender hot rod , fender hot rod deluxe , jimi hendrix , mesa boogie , mesa boogie nomad , pearl jam , tube amp , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode