A few questions on Strings. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

A few questions on Strings.

I've got a few questions regarding guitar strings, since I will need to re-string my 12-string acoustic soon.

1. I have used Rotosounds on my electrics for the past year or so, and they seem to be excellent strings. I will be sticking to them for a long time. What are Rotosound's acoustic strings like? Are they as good as their strings for electrics? Do they do a 12-string set?

2. What other brands to a 12-string set for acoustics? What brand would you recommend?

All opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks y'all,

Smithy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Dee

Re: A few questions on Strings.

D'addario for life!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 01:09 PM

D'addario's are nice, same with Blue Steel and Ernie Ball.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 01:38 PM

You can try Martin. Last time I changed my acoustic strings(6 string) I just asked the guy at the store what he would recommend(oops! ) and he pointed me out to the most expensive Martin strings they had. $9USD. They are HORRIBLE! Honestly worse than the strings that came on the guitar.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 02:19 PM

D'addario Or Dean Markley sound great IMO ,

Why haven't they tried to make stainless steal coated strings?

I know you can't make strings totally out of stainless steal because the magnetic pull of your pickup wont work or register to well with stainless steal,
magnets don't stick to stainless steal at all so in theory if you coated a regular steal string, with stainless steal it would work & last longer than any string on the market today right?

The stainless steal strings would sustain vibration reaction time longer meaning that the sound of your guitar note's on the string will sound for much longer than a regular string in theory

There's food for thought bro's... Jake
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 06:35 AM

I've actually used a set of stainless steel strings once. They didn't corrode, but still you'd get dirt caught between the windings, so the sound quality decreased. Also they sounded quite 'raw'.
I can't recall the brand, it was a pretty unknown brand. I just tried them because they were cheap enough. The guage was also slightly different from normal string sets, probably to counter the difference in tension a bit.
But they do exist anyway.

Tags
dean markley , ernie ball , steel strings , string acoustic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode