Firewire Interfaces? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Firewire Interfaces?

So, I finally bit the bullet and grabbed a new computer (nothing absurd, Dell Dimension 5100) so I could start recording again. My soundcard's firewire-compatable, so I'm looking for a good Firewire DAW interface.

I'd like to be able to do 4+ tracks at a time, but if push came to shove I could probably get by with 2 (especially if I ran a small mixing board beforehand to submix). I'm still reeling, financially speaking, from the CST I just grabbed, so I'm thinking $299-$599 is my target range, so I can still afford to grab a few decent mics.

What's out there, and what are you guys using? What works? What doesn't? Any recommendations?

-D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 11:29 PM

Re: Firewire Interfaces?

im gunna say i wanna know the answer too.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 02:37 AM

If you can get away with 2 inputs, I'm using an M-Audio Firewire 410 which I'm very happy with. It technically has 4 inputs, but I think 2 are more like inserts than pre-amp inputs...

Anyway, check one of those out, I reckon they're great!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Actually, I forgot about this thread and ordered the Firewire 410 anyway, lol. Thoughts when it arrives - tonight or tomorrow, I'm thinking.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 07:16 PM

2 simul only...not 4 unfortunately...the other 2 are line ins...your best bet is looking into either the tascam that frontier designed (looks like an 002) or get a Motu Traveler...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 08:29 AM

Drew, any opinions on that 410?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 10:11 AM

presonus firebox/firepod

the tascam FW-1804 looks quite good... anyone got anything to say on that?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 11:35 PM

funny...i recently bought a 410 too
I got it brand new for $265 shipped from dealer on e'bay....he had a BIN of $299 shipped...he had that 'submit best offer' button, i offered him $250+shipping and he said 'ok'

Anyway...the wall that I've hit...and i'm hoping somebody can help me...i can't change the computer's input level like i could when i was using the internal soundcard. I'm using Adobe Audition (CoolEdit) 1.5 and WinXP isn't offering me the same standard recording/input controls on my volume applet. All i have is the m-audio software interface which doesn't have a computer input adjustment.

Anybody?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 07:44 AM

My Echo MIA is the same way. All those controls do is adjust an analog attenuator, so that's extra electronics that could muck with the signal - and so were left out. The idea is that you'll get the gain staging right before hitting the A/D convertor with an external mixer, pre, or output knob of whatever box you're coming from.

Tags
amp input , audio firewire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode