Flextone II Setting Question - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Flextone II Setting Question

I have a question about amp models on my Flextone II, mainly, how to get certain sounds out of what I have. For example, Metallica's tones on St. Anger (especially "Invisible Kid", and I think they use Diezels and Mesa/Boogie Dual/Triple Rectifiers) and Deftones new album (I know Stef uses a Marshall Pre-amp and Power-amp, but can't quite get close enough with the Marshall settings on my Flextone, and also, how does he get that tone at the beginning of "Hexagram"?). Any help would be appreciated.

Also, anyone have any settings for Evanescence? I know they use Flextone II HDs and Jacksons with EMG/HZs, so in theory, I should be able to come close, even without the right guitar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 09:13 AM

The Line6 Marshall models are not all that high gain which is why you are having the problem I suspect. Try using the Soldano model, similar in tone to the Marshall just with more presence and tighter gain. Just about any pro player using marshalls these days has them modified to high heaven...mine's been cooked a little too and it sounds fantastic.

Also keep in mind that the most guitars you hear on the radio and on albums have 3, 4, 5 or more tracks doubling them each with different tones so it's hard to get the exact tone right off the album.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
Also keep in mind that the most guitars you hear on the radio and on albums have 3, 4, 5 or more tracks doubling them each with different tones so it's hard to get the exact tone right off the album.
... not to mention all the different kinds of microphones, compression, EQ and audio post-processing that gets added to the sound after the fact in the studio.

That's why i always recommend to people that they work with their gear and their playing style to craft a sound that suits the player, instead of trying to mimic sounds you hear elsewhere. Try and develop a sound that YOU like, and that fits with your playing.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 10:26 AM

You might also try putting an overdrive pedal in front of the amp to give you a little more gain. I use either a Boss Super Overdrive or an Ibanez TubeScreamer and they really bring the JCM800 model to life on the Flextone. Also, be sure that the built-in gain boost is enabled on the amp. Check your manual for how to enable it.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

In the case of St. Anger, there is only one guitar part for each guitarist (rhythm guitar anyways).

And I've already got the gain boost on.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 02:39 PM

Then I would try the overdrive pedal route. Have you also tried different cabinet settings?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2003, 07:52 PM

It gets pointless to use modern albums as a reference for tone because more and more people are starting to naturally EQ and tone shape thier sound with mic placement and mixing the sound of multiple amps. Using Metallica as an example Jmaes has been getting his ryhthm sound by using 2+ amps since the black album. St Anger sounds like thier could be many more in thier. I definitly hear the Diezel and his modded TriAxis. A Mesa DR could be in thier as well as a few different marshalls like his modded Plexi, JCM800 and newer models. This may be the first album without the IIC+.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Nope, only 1 rhythm guitar per side on St. Anger. One left, one right, that's it. Then occasionally one or two in the middle. I've got those tones basically down though now. Still curious about Stephen Carpenter tho.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 04:17 PM

I dont think you understand what Im saying. I know theres not 8 different guitar tracks, Im not a moron. The one rhythm guitar on the left or right is a mix of the guitar signal split and going to 2+ different amps. Thats a fact.

Theres only 2 guitars on the Load albums but the recording of each individual guitar is a mix of a Mesa MKIIC+, A Modded Plexi, a TriAxis and possably others.

If you dont know about that its a very great way to get a full sound. I do it alot and its done by most pro's to some extent. Its a good way to plug the weakneses of one amp with another. For instance you may want to record with your signal going to both a marshall and a mesa. You eq the highs to be more present in the marshall sound and the low mids in the mesa sound. That way you get the best of both worlds and its a huge sound. Some clean sounds on the Load albums were made with a setup where Hatfield had 14 amps going at once. Matchless', Fenders, Roland JC etc... I have it on good authority he used more amps to record a single heavy guitar track on this album then he ever has. The list of amps used to record St Anger is huge.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 05:39 PM

And some might say that it may be pretty futile to try to get a sound of a turned-up tube amp (or many, in this case) with a digital modeling amp... But hey, whatever floats the boats & flies the kites.

Just for curiosity, what are you going to do with those sounds if you finally "nail" them?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Ah, I get what you mean now. Makes sense

And I've got a decent sound for what I'm looking for finally. But I'm still trying to get a nice Deftones-esque tone.

What am I going to do with it? Just play around, I like to find new sounds, and then that helps me to come up with new ideas for songs, riffs, etc. Plus I'm in a cover band or two.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Ah, I get what you mean now. Makes sense
Thats the whole idea behind the entire Vetta amp series. When I heard the PODxt was going to be based on the Vetta thats what I was most excited about. The Vetta had a much more natural feel then the POD's models and you can run 2 sounds at once. That wouldve made for an awesome little preamp. But they didnt do it.

Maybe the next POD will
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 07:22 PM

Its tricky business whenever you try to nail someones tone or a tone from record. Theres many reasons why. Having recorded many studio albums Ive realized what I like to play live and what makes for some good sounds on record can be very different. Theres something about listening to a performance when your not playing that totally changes your perspective. If youve ever recorded professionally or used really decent recording gear to record some stuff yourself you know what I mean. Ill bet 5 times out of 5, if you ask someone to name thier favorite artists tone or fav album tone and you were able to magically take them to the studio to play that setup, theyd be either shocked &/or disappointed.

Im not even talking about studio compression and eq.

Even further changing things is the other instruments in the track. They take up many of the frequncies the guitar occupies also and that changes the percieved tone.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 10:09 PM

Re: Flextone II Setting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
I have a question about amp models on my Flextone II, mainly, how to get certain sounds out of what I have. For example, Metallica's tones on St. Anger (especially "Invisible Kid", and I think they use Diezels and Mesa/Boogie Dual/Triple Rectifiers) and Deftones new album (I know Stef uses a Marshall Pre-amp and Power-amp, but can't quite get close enough with the Marshall settings on my Flextone, and also, how does he get that tone at the beginning of "Hexagram"?). Any help would be appreciated.

Also, anyone have any settings for Evanescence? I know they use Flextone II HDs and Jacksons with EMG/HZs, so in theory, I should be able to come close, even without the right guitar.
EVANESCENCE! hehe, those guys are locals here. i saw them right after they got their endorsement deals. they played a new years show at a local club as a "breakout" show. as you prolly know, fallen came out in march and just blew up from there. we are very proud of them and all of us here are scurrying to get demos recorded! j/k! anyhoo, my main dirty tone is alot like both john's and ben's tone. i use the insane setting with alot of soundiver mods to it. if you have your flextone setup for soundiver editting, i can save my setting and email it to you.

rich
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 12:54 PM

Um, why would you want to sound like anything on St. Anger?

Tags
overdrive pedal , stephen carpenter , super overdrive , triple rectifier , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode