Floor board effects units... which one and why ? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 25
Floor board effects units... which one and why ?

Hi all

Will be purchasing an all in one floor board pedal effects unit in the next month or so.

Lets just start by saying im not interested in seperate pedals, so dont bother telling me to stick to pedals.

I have owned a digitech rp5 for over 15 years and last week it died in the ass... numbers flashing in random and I tried doing a hard reset on it, which did nothing. To repair will cost around $200 which is how much I paid for it 15 years ago, so I reckon its time for something new.

I am most interested in Boss GT10 and the Digitech GNX4...

What do you guys think ?

What else is out there, lets say I dont want to spend more then $500 USD.

Will also be buying in Asia where I know I can get the mentioned boards for around that price if not better...

Cheers !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Banned

Re: Floor board effects units... which one and why ?

i like these units.boss gt6 just as good as gt8 gt10.vox tonelab is another nice bit of kit.i have a mate who also has had gt8 gt10 and he always goes back to gt6.should be able to pick a gt6 up for buttons aswell.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

I had an used probably all major brands and even knowing that everybody got their own tastes and ears I recomend you a pod.I think its amps are better than all other brands.
I only use this kind of equipment for practicing,composing and rehearsalling,for gigs and recording I use tube amps.You can go wrong with a pod,if you don't like its amps simulations you probably will hate other brands amp simulations.
If you need really awesome effects use amps from a pod and effects from a gmajor or rocktron xpression.
Good luck.

Last edited by 6fingers; 07-14-2009 at 03:40 AM.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:19 AM

Reviews: 21

I use a line 6 xt pro and it does everything i need, recording, gigging etc!!!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 04:38 AM

Reviews: 2

VOX Tonelab SE

or

Zoom G9.2tt

I don't think you can find something better.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 05:02 AM

Reviews: 120

The Zoom G series are nice - nice amp models, etc.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 09:56 AM

I think the GT 10 is AWESOME!
Simple to use.
Lots of fun lights.
Great tones.
Many effects.
Not a fan of Line 6. I find that their amp models are too bright/harsh, or thin/not really smooth. That's just me.
Get the GT 10.

Last edited by nato101010; 07-14-2009 at 10:01 AM. Reason: forgot somthin'
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 11:52 AM

Reviews: 59

I don't have any personal experience with the latest round of do-it-alls, but I've been looking into getting one myself and have read every single review for the GT10, X3 Live, GSP1101, Tonelab and the G9.2tt. Don't flame me, anyone who has these or finds me rediculously anal for actually reading all the reviews (I'm often bored at work) but here's what I've found:

X3 live - good amp models, especially for high gain with lots of tone options stemming from the split tone path. Unfortunately, it's build quality is suspect for gigging purposes.

GT10 - good low gain and clean models, better quality effects than the pod but not as good high gain amp models, very robust and immense tweakability. Unfortunately, it has little computer support/interface isn't great, and some aspects of the tweaking can be too "deep".

GSP1101 - Very good reviews for its amps and effects. Solid interface and good tweakability. Built well. Unfortunately, it's a rack processor and you'd have to buy a midi foot controller for live use, adding another 1-300 bucks.

Tonelab - Good clean, overdrive and hard rock sounds, dynamics and warm vintage tone. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the number of effects/models that the others do and is limited with things like it's effects loop is before the preamp (essentially nullifying the point of an effects loop) and certain effects can't be used together, like distortion with compression or wah.

G9.2tt - Offers an innovative 2 expression pedal set-up with fast switching and decent amp models. Voiced for modern sounds and hi gain. It seems to do nothing the best, but nothing bad either, a consistent #2 in most people's comparisons. Unfortunately, it is also limited in the number of models and simulators it boasts and there's not a lot of tweakability.

These are my findings from just reading through the reviews at Harmony Central over the last little while as I've been doing my own research. I've tried to leave out my personal feelings for what are advantages based on taste, but let me know if you have any other questions. Like I said, these aren't based on personal experience as much as what I've read from other people's experience. I can't say enough that the only way to decide would be to play each you're considering for at least an hour or so with amps/guitars you'll be using with it to see what it sounds like and if it'll work for you. Nothing beats personal experience.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 12:26 PM

Reviews: 13

I'm a POD X3 Live user.
I use it for both gigging and home recording, and I'm pretty satisfied.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
X3 live - good amp models, especially for high gain with lots of tone options stemming from the split tone path. Unfortunately, it's build quality is suspect for gigging purposes.
I have been gigging mine big time for about a year now, and mine has held up very well. I would recommend the X3, I have had great luck with mine, and great sounds out of it too.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 04:43 PM

Reviews: 59

Glad to hear your X3's are holding up. Like I said in my post, durability was an issue with the X3 based on the Harmony Central reviews. Perhaps it's been fixed...
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 25

Thanks for all the info guys, its helped alot. Im leaning to towards the GT10, Il have to have play with a few the next time im in a shop.

I do like the idea of the Digitech gnx4 because of the whammy effect that it comes with. Does the Boss have a similar effect ?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
I do like the idea of the Digitech gnx4 because of the whammy effect that it comes with. Does the Boss have a similar effect ?
Yep! I use the whammy effect in my GT-8 all the time and it sounds great.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 12:33 AM

also watch out the digitech rp1000 and rp500, they are very nice sounding
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 01:29 AM

I would say give the GNX4 some serious consideration, especially with the supermodel packs that are so frequently talked about on the Digitech boards. It gives you serious tweakability of sound and has a VERY usable 8 track recorder as well.

All and all with modeling you're pretty much going to get just that, modeling. If you're going into it with that in mind, it's best to use a full range speaker system. If you want it mainly for live and amp use I think some of the newer Digitech pedals have the modeling bypass function.

Tags
boss , digitech , effects , pedals , vox

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode