Flying with my guitar. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Flying with my guitar.

Hey,

I'm going to Abu Dhabi this Sunday and I'm wanting to take my PRS with me. The airline company are fine with me taking it on board but I was wondering if I should wrap it in some bubble wrap/towel etc to give it some protection from the temperature changes and the possibility of it getting some dings and such. I would be putting it in it's soft case but if anyone has seen the PRS softcases will see how sturdy they are.

I have searched the forum but thought for my own piece of mind, it would be best if I got second opinion.

Many Thanks

Reece
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 11:01 AM

Re: Flying with my guitar.

If you are carrying it with you and you say the gig bag is a good one then you should be OK. I don't think temp will be an issue. Rule of thumb is to never leave your guitar anywhere you wouldn't be comfortable, climate or temp wise.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 11:08 AM

check with your airline first. for that guitar i would opt for an ata flight case instead of trying to carry it on. if you just have to carry it on, bring a beater axe in a decent, not too big gigbag. keep in mind, you'll have to lug it around with you at the terminal as a carry on. i've been there...it sux.

rich
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 11:21 AM

You make some good points Rick but if the gig bag is a GOOD one (I just bought an uber nice Ritter bag that I would pack any guitar in without worries) he should be OK. A flight case will definitely work but might be overkill if you don't mind carrying the guitar/gigbag around the terminals.

I bought a new Explorer a couple years back while on vacation in DC (came in a standard Gibson GIANT hardshell case with black "panties" liner) and I had to carry that monster all over the terminals and I think one of my arms is permanantly longer than the other because of it but I wouldn't check it at the ticket counter for nothing. They did let me check it at the gate and I got to stand there while they gently layed it in the cargo hold and shut the cargo door and I was standing there at my final destination when the cargo door was opened and the guitar was gently handed back to me. probably the exception rather than the rule I'm sure.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 11:26 AM

yeah, i tried carrying on my rg7620 in a nice levy's gigbag about 2 years ago. basically a strat sized normal gigbag, but they told me i couldn't take it as a carry on, i would have to check it. it had a new custom body, so it was worth a lot more than your typical rg7620. no way was i going to check it. i had my brother in law take it home with him. so you can definitely see my POV, especially with a PRS. if you got a PRS, you shouldn't have any qualms about getting an ATA for it.

rich
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 11:32 AM

I defintely see your POV. I only say that about a GOOD quality gig bag if you are keeping the guitar with you at all times (or close by so you can see any activity near it) and not leaving it to chance for some schmuck to throw around.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah I've checked with the airline they said I can carry it has hand luggage "as long is it guitar size or smaller". So it'll either be in the overhead compartment or with the air hostess' stuff.

I'm sure my PRS gigbag is strong enough, it's padded out well and very sturdy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode