Foam vs Rubber speaker surround - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
x2n

Foam vs Rubber speaker surround

Hello,
I have been hearing much debate over foam and rubber speaker surround. Some say rubber lasts longer and some say foam performs better. Your thoughts on that. Also whats the difference between a speaker with a pole mounted phase plug and one without? Thanks guys,
Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 07:24 PM

Re: Foam vs Rubber speaker surround

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2n
Hello,
I have been hearing much debate over foam and rubber speaker surround. Some say rubber lasts longer and some say foam performs better. Your thoughts on that. Also whats the difference between a speaker with a pole mounted phase plug and one without? Thanks guys,
Max
I've never seen rubber disintegrate; I've seen it in foam. That's not to say all foam does this, though. My vote is that rubber *generally* lasts longer.

Rubber is generally less compliant than foam. But if the speaker is designed with this in mind, it can be fine (B&W have rubber surrounds in some of their models. 'nuff said)

That "Phase Plug" thing is hype. It's a friggin' dust cap.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
x2n

re

Hey,
Good info thank you. I thought that phase plug was fishy too. What is good woofer material? Glass fiber, poly-propelene, composite pulp,aluminum? There is so many different types of materials used now days it gets a little intimidating.. Thanks again
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 11:56 PM

Re: re

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2n
Hey,
Good info thank you. I thought that phase plug was fishy too. What is good woofer material? Glass fiber, poly-propelene, composite pulp,aluminum? There is so many different types of materials used now days it gets a little intimidating.. Thanks again
There is no one best material, because that's only one of MANY ingredients in the souffle that is a speaker ;-)

You want it stiff & light. In a tweeter, "stiff & LIGHT", in a woofer, "STIFF and light". There are many ways to do it - treated/impregnated paper, doped poly, kevlar fibers, graphite fibers... the list goes on. My fave speakers have used a variety of materials, so IMO no technology has the market cornered. You really need to just listen with a variety of music & let your ears decide. If you have limited choices, you can buy on recommendation of people you trust (and have the same taste in sound!) or the huge body of reviews on the net. That sounds questionable, but differences are biggest when you're directly comparing models. You will become accustomed to the speaker. And if you're making music, you will learn to adjust to the speaker. This all supposes that it's a good quality speaker to start with, of course.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
x2n

gear and equipment????

Hey,
I wish they would have left this thread in off-topic since it has nothing to do with guitar equipment, maybe they should read it more closely. Oh well, thanks again for the info jester you seem pretty educated on this stuff. This happens to me with guitars too, I get to caught up in the specs and forget about the most important part,sound...Yeah I will probably just get dcm's again, they have the poly-prop midrange and long-throw composite pulp cone with foam surround. Ok one last question, how long do you think foam surround last's? I have seen 20 year old rubber rust and if foam can go 20 years that would be fine for me..Thanks again for your help on my silly questions,
Max
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 06:44 AM

Re: gear and equipment????

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2n
Hey,
I wish they would have left this thread in off-topic since it has nothing to do with guitar equipment, maybe they should read it more closely. Oh well, thanks again for the info jester you seem pretty educated on this stuff. This happens to me with guitars too, I get to caught up in the specs and forget about the most important part,sound...Yeah I will probably just get dcm's again, they have the poly-prop midrange and long-throw composite pulp cone with foam surround. Ok one last question, how long do you think foam surround last's? I have seen 20 year old rubber rust and if foam can go 20 years that would be fine for me..Thanks again for your help on my silly questions,
Max
I was an audio nut for 25 years now, courtesy of my dad. My first amp was a Heathkit he built in 1970!

There was a time in the 70's that foam went bad after a few years - I think there were some bad foam formulations being used. But I've also got some 15 year old foam jobs that are fine. So, practically speaking, I wouldn't use it as a factor. Any of them should be good for that long, and when they go, it's an excuse to get a newer set! ;-)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
x2n

re

Hey,
Yeah I guess I never thought of that!! good point.. Yeah I am also influenced by my dad who works at a radio and tv museum. Its called the Pavek Museum Of Broadcasting, maybe you or your dad have heard of it.
So what audio gear do you own?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 07:46 PM

Re: re

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2n
Hey,
Yeah I guess I never thought of that!! good point.. Yeah I am also influenced by my dad who works at a radio and tv museum. Its called the Pavek Museum Of Broadcasting, maybe you or your dad have heard of it.
So what audio gear do you own?
Main system:
Onkyo "something-500" surround receiver
Sony 5 disc progressive scan DVD changer
Onkyo TA 2800 3 head cassette deck
JVC 7800U SVHS deck
DCM Timeframe speakers
Parasound wall speakers in kitchen (for doing dishes) and for ceiling (but not installed yet)

Basement/studio system:
Onkyo TXSV70 receiver
Onkyo 5 disc changer
JBL LX600 speakers
Various rotating small speakers - JBL J2600, Advent 6 1/2" 2 ways, but mostly DCM CX-17s.

A couple times I've put my Crown PA amp & one of the Yamaha PA subs in the system, but it's just so much hassle. Sure does boom, though... ;-)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
x2n

onkyo?

Hey,
How are the onkyo recievers?

My gear;
Harmon Kardon avr-225
Onkyo single disc dvd-cd player

And thats it for right now, getting axiom speakers very soon. Ever heard of them?

Old gear;
Kenwood vr{something
Onkyo 6-disc cd changer
Yamaha cd changer
harmon kardon 70's reciever with fuses and ****
Dynaco bookshelf 10's
KLh 15's{blahhh}
Dcm dcm10's
Jbl northridge center, surrounds
Sony 12 power sub
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 08:49 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: onkyo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2n
Hey, How are the onkyo recievers?
They're very good, across the product line, for the $$$. I'd certainly give them a look/listen before buying anything. do a forum search (off topic area) for some onkyo discussion
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
x2n

re

Hey,
Thanks I will definetly check em out...I love their audio components like cd, dvd players,etc..
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 10:35 PM

I've liked the Onkyo stuff since I was introduced to them by selling them at C. City. I had a monstrous 160w/ch power amp with purty green power meters, but I sold it because I really never came close to pushing it and it was just a showpiece. Their receivers have always been my faves at their price point; discrete output transistors when most competitors weren't using them, and well made. The tape decks and CD players are also competitive. IMO, Denon level quality but more easily available and more often discounted.

But brands are very competitive, and these days it's hard to get a bad piece of electronic gear.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
x2n

hmm

Hey,
Yeah audio technology is advancing pretty quick, heck I remember when pro-logic was cool like yesterday. I cant really keep up with all the stuff like, 7.1,hdtv,etc,etc...whats next,9.2? You never know these days. I am just fine with the 5.1 setup for now. Since you worked at circuit city maybe you know why they stopped carrying Dcm?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 02:32 PM

Re: hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2n
Hey,
Yeah audio technology is advancing pretty quick, heck I remember when pro-logic was cool like yesterday. I cant really keep up with all the stuff like, 7.1,hdtv,etc,etc...whats next,9.2? You never know these days. I am just fine with the 5.1 setup for now. Since you worked at circuit city maybe you know why they stopped carrying Dcm?
No - I only worked there from '89 until '92.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
x2n

re

Hey,
Thats funny because in 89' I was only six years old.. Pointless statement but I just found it wierd.. Well nice talkin to you, see you around..
Max

Tags
power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode