Found my next new amp yesterday - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Re: Found my next new amp yesterday

I don't really know what to do. With my now modded FSS with my pedals. I'm pretty much getting "almost" the same tone. What I'm using is;
Compressor, BD2, DS1, and EQ and Analog delay in loop. The FSS likes these pedals a whole lot. So I'm getting effectively mutiple "channels" now. And all usable. I just "want" the Egnator because it sounds a little bit better to me. But I know once I get it, something else will sound better, and i'll want that.

I spent the last 2 weeks playing through a Vox Valvetronix. You get spoiled with the playability of SS amp. Face it. SS lacks tube punch and thinkness, but they are easier to play on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 04:10 AM

That "something else" will be at least twice the price, if you find it at all. Frankly, I think Egnaters hold their own against any other amp out there. Before I bought my first Egnater I've gone through quite a few amps. I bought it, played through it for about half a year. Then I had my "chugga chugga" period, and sold the Egnater, because that's not something it's good at. Guess what, four years and six amps later, I bought another one and this time I'm not selling. For chug, metal zone into channel 1 works wonders when dialed in right. For everything else, there's four channels worth of variety. I can dial in "guitar god" type tone effortlessly, plugged straight in on channels 3 or 4. Overdriven chords sound good, and harshness is easy to tame without killing the highs. And I can dial it down to arbitrarily low volumes, and it still sounds good. Not awesome (you need a bit of volume for truly awesome), but better than any other amp I had, and I had a lot of amps.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 04:14 AM

Which is to say, when I heard your FSS clips, I immediately thought just how badass this would sound on an Egnater. Hot rodded Marshall type tone, with tight low end, and boiling hot highs, and "liquid"/"chewy" in gain response. I don't know how to explain, as you learn to dial it in, it just gets better and better.
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 07:16 AM

i def would have kept my FSS if the volume issue was fixed.. the dirty channel is SICK, and the clean channel is great with a compressor
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
i def would have kept my FSS if the volume issue was fixed.. the dirty channel is SICK, and the clean channel is great with a compressor

Mine has been fixed. No more clean clipping, and it doesn't fall apart at higher volumes. I SUPER cranked it yet. But I will today. I still run my treb and mid on 1 though. It's plenty bright like that.

Edit; still some clean clipping. but not nearly as bad. But the plus side is. It doesn't fall apart when turned up.

Last edited by Darin; 05-17-2008 at 03:26 PM.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 06:03 PM

keep it! and put a v30 in it, no need for an external cabinet.. theres no one around my area to mod mine, or I would have kept it!! im still using the hot rod deluxe w/ v30 and a bunch of nice pedals.. my next pedal to order is an xotic rc booster.. i like the idea of being able to volume boost for my solo while having the ability to cut or boost bass, treble, gain, or volume..
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Had the FSS in the sweet zone cranked through the legacy 2x12. I'm keeping it. With the DS1, the BD2 in the clean channel, it give me as many tonal options as the Egnator. Plus, I still am getting an OCD. The EQ in the loop with very slight boost in low and mids make the amp come alive. I'm still using a compressor, I always have and always will.

Tags
egnater tol , peavey classic , pedal board , tube amp , tube amps , tube head , tube tone , versatile amp , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode