Fractal audio axe fx - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Fractal audio axe fx

Hello,
any qualified opinions regarding the axe fx. Read about people selling their Bogners, Dumbles, Soldanos and not regretting it after using the axe fx. It is stated that this wondermachine substitutes a whole amppark plus stompboxes. Is that true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 01:03 PM

Re: Fractal audio axe fx

I've not used one, but I've never heard a bad review so I've been tempted to try one. The guys over at www.hugeracksinc.com rave about them too.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 03:47 PM

In fact guitarist magazine has a review in their March 09 edition, and give it top marks.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2

Thx i just find raving reviews. I think i have to get one.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:28 PM

I've heard nothing but great things about them. And clips I hear in the web sound awesome. I always wonder if the AXE FX has the same "feel" as the real deal.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 10:37 AM

Reviews: 65

I have tested the AxeFX Ultra rather extensive, as a friend has one.

It is the best thing you can get modelling wise. It will feel much more like the real deal compared to all the rest of modellers.
Also the effects are top quality and easily comparable to a whole rack of Pro effects.

That being said, I still like the feel of my tube stack. Can I really hear the difference? Well I tried to setup the Axe as close to a real DualRecti as I could and it really is as close as it gets. With a little more time tuning we prolly would have nailed it.

The downside however is: If you are a total newbie and have no idea about sound, you can only copy sounds from other or websites, setting the Axe up and making it sound like a real tube amp, needs you to be familiar with a tube amp and you can f**ck up your sound very easily and sound like a chainsaw. The thing is so versatile that you can get lots of stupid and crap sounds too... If you know what you are doing this thing is awesome.

However, I it is up to personal taste in the end. I am pretty happy with my tube stack and micing it in. My floorboard is enough for me effects wise and I have grown together with my equipment...

But if you are into modelling, this is surely the thing to get.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 02:57 PM

To the OP, I have an AxeFX Ultra and it is sick. Just sick. I don't know how else to describe the sounds it is capable of delivering. I'm not a tone snob or tube snob, I play what feels right, what sounds good to me (been playing 16 years and owned a lot of gear).

This thing, hands down, is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I **** you not, it really is that good. But that's for *me*. I listened to the audio demos and I watched YouTube and thought I had it paired down to either the GT-10, the X3 Live, the gt2.9tt or whatever it's called and then maybe the Utopia G300.

Then I heard this unit's clips and I was intrigued. So I read and read and read some more and tried to listen as best I could to see if it could do what I wanted. Well I got it and like I said, for me, it really is *that* good. Check out the Fractal forums, Dweezil Zappa is posting over there about the preset he uses (built from scratch) to cover VH's Eruption. I heard the clip:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/Eruption.mp3

And it's pretty damned good. I'm not playing it through a power amp and cabs at the moment (but will at some point). For now, I play it directly through my studio monitors/audio interface and it's insane.

You gotta read the manual, you gotta LOVE to tweak (or at least HAVE THE ABILITY) to tweak your sound.

But so far I'm absolutely floored by how good this and ALL of it's effects are, plus it's alive, it's a living breathing product. How often do other companies release firmware? Not just to fix initial F'up's but firmware that actually does new and better things? In my experience, not often enough. But these Fractal guys are Johnny on the Spot with updates. I would however NOT invest this much money and NOT get the Ultra. If you get one, GET THE ULTRA. The standard is awesome from what I've heard and read, but in the long run I think the Ultra is a better investment.

And sorry to come off as yet another guy who's had too much of the Kool-Aid but when I find something that sounds this good, it's hard not to come off like a weenie.

orb.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 03:27 PM

These things have really been getting good reviews, and I'm really starting to GAS for one.

Tags
axe fx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode