Free MIDI to mp3 converter ? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Free MIDI to mp3 converter ?

Hi everybody !

My name is Lars and I'm new to this forum !!!
I really like this place !

My question is :

Does anybody of you know a freeware program that converts MIDI files to mp3's ?

Any help would be highly appreciated !

Thanks in advance !

Lars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:53 AM
rgr

Re: Free MIDI to mp3 converter ?

You can't directly convert MIDI to mp3, MIDI files are data to control MIDI devices, mp3s are sound files. You have to record the output of a MIDI device playing a MIDI file then convert it to mp3, make sense?

Roger
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 11:07 AM

Well, there are software synthesizers . . .

e.g.: http://timidity.sourceforge.net/

Quote:
TiMidity++ is a software synthesizer. It can play MIDI files by converting them into PCM waveform data; give it a MIDI data along with digital instrument data files, then it synthesizes them in real-time, and plays. It can not only play sounds, but also can save the generated waveforms into hard disks as various audio file formats.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 11:16 AM

Does anyone know of a good MP3 or Wave converter to MIDI?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 08:00 AM

That's even worse; the best anyone can to is pitch-to-MIDI conversion, which only works for monophonic signals, and not very well at that.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 11:19 AM

I had a program that coverted my recording to midi so you can do sheet music, however after I installed XP SP2, it doent work anymore. This is what Im tring to accomplish. It takes too long to write out when you can just play it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 12:14 PM
rgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluealien
I had a program that coverted my recording to midi so you can do sheet music, however after I installed XP SP2, it doent work anymore. This is what Im tring to accomplish. It takes too long to write out when you can just play it.
What kind of recording was it? Was it played on a MIDI keyboard? If so it was just a MIDI file and there are lots of programs that will allow you to view it as standard notation. I can't imagine any program that can take an "analog" sound file and convert it to a MIDI file. Logic Platinum can generate a MIDI "groove template" by looking at the peaks in a wav file, but can't convert a wav file to MIDI.

Try Finale Notepad, http://www.finalemusic.com/, it works on my PC running SP2.

Roger
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 01:42 PM

In general converting from wav to MIDI is not possible by automated means, though in some cases this may be possible. The simpler the music, (e.g. one instrument, playing one note at a time) the better the chance of it working. Similarly voice-recognition software will work best with one person speaking, rather than trying to pick out the conversations from a crowd.

See for instance WaoN
I haven't tried any of this, so really, I don't know what I'm talking about. Have a few grains of salt with this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 04:15 PM

As far as the original question (midi to wav), one of the cheapest ways to get a software synthesizer might be to buy a slightly outdated version of Band-in-a-Box. All PC versions from the last few years come packaged with the Roland VSC (Virtual Sound Canvas) which has a full GM/GS voice set and is surprisingly good. It has a button to output any loaded midi file to wav format. I see previous versions of Biab advertised super cheap on the net. The latest is Biab 2005, and the previous one was V12, V11, etc (one each year). Biab is a very handy program for practicing guitar anyway.
Bert
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 10:20 PM

try this ?

http://cwenc.sourceforge.net/
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santuzzo
Hi everybody !

My name is Lars and I'm new to this forum !!!
I really like this place !

My question is :

Does anybody of you know a freeware program that converts MIDI files to mp3's ?

Any help would be highly appreciated !

Thanks in advance !

Lars
I have done that with QuickTime in my mac, to burn files on cd and use them as practicing backtracks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode