FXunit or amp? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

FXunit or amp?

Hi all!

Im probably going to buy myself a RG1570 for christmas. But i want to buy something new to go with it too. Now i have a fender frontman 15R and a Digitech RP80. Quite honestly ive managed to get some awesome sounds out of it, even with my crappy amp.

So my question is, what would be more worth it. Lets say 200-300 dollar amp or a FX unit like a RP350 or RPX400?

IMO i think that the pedal would be better since it has amp models in it while an amp in that price range that is very versatile is difficult to find. But i would like to hear you opinions.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:31 AM

Re: FXunit or amp?

I really wouldn't bother with a $200 - $300 amp unless you want to go something like an Epiphone Valve Junior and some Bitmo mods, but you are into tweak-head land there!

I'd say you'd get more bang for your buck selling the RP80, and tipping some money into a good modelling FX box - that way you also have a good recording sound as well.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:35 AM

Reviews: 18

I personally would not buy a Digitech effects processor. If you want to buy a nice processor, get a Boss GT-8 instead.

Jimmy
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 03:38 AM

You're probably not going to find a decent tube amp even used for that kinda money... The best bet is to buy a modeling amp like a Cube 30 or 60 to get some decent sounds for the money.

Also, more often than not, modeling amps tend to take fx units fairly well because of the full range speakers they put in them, that is if you choose to use the fx units modeling.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your feedback!

Honestly i think it makes no sense buying a modeling amp when you can have an FXunit with tons of more features. Or am i getting things wrong here? From my experience i hate distortion from practice amps. The distortion of my Frontman 15R is just very bad.

As for the GT8. Thats a huge chunk of money to fork out. Im talking about something in the 200 dollar range. Besides i have found to be digitech really good. Why dont you like them? Another question would a FX unit upgrade have more features like better amp models and stuff or am i just looking at extended connectivity?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 02:04 PM

Stay the hell away from digitech. No offense but the only reason you could think it sounds good is from lack of experience. I have an RP 200 and it is horrible, yet I used to think it was amazing. Save a bit more and get a peavey classic 30 or something.

On the modeling amp vs effects thing, a modeler with effects, like a vox tonelab or a pod (not quite as nice IMO but decent) run through a decent amp will easily stand up to a nice modeling amp like a flextone or vetta. However, don't expect the same results out of low end stuff like the digitech rp pedals

If you want a lot of good tones for cheap, buy a johnson j station. They're amazing little boxes that can be had for $50-$100 on e bay. Some of the best modeling tones I've heard
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

I dont know what you mean by lack of experience cause i can play very well. It is my first modelling processor and i dont think it sucks that much. Anyway if you think its that bad ill take your word and stay away from digitech.

I cant shop of **** my mom wont allow it(im 15). So what do you think of a pod xt?. Would that be a better option?. I will also try out the amps other people above and you said.

Thanks

Last edited by TheBoss84; 07-10-2007 at 06:16 PM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 06:12 PM

Save your cash and get a decent amp. The best effects unit through an amp like that will still sound bad.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 06:31 PM

actually, the gt-8 sounds pretty good in my 15 watt crate compared to thru a jc-120. the gt-8 sounds good in any amp. i would go for one of those
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 06:32 PM

I'll be good this time jemsite.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 06:43 PM

I'm Taking bets
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 06:44 PM

You'll see

The way I see it, getting an effects unit instead of upgrading your amp is like buying a new stereo for a car with no wheels. It might make it sound slightly better, but it's not going to get you where you want to go.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 06:46 PM

you've gotta just luv 'cid.. he' da man!! well done m8 .. stay cool!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 PM

well the reason i bought the gt-8 and not a better amp is because i wasn't looking for the ultimate tone, i just wanted to be able to experiment with a whole lot of ideas. plus i wanted chorus and delay plys effects. that's why i did it. if our friend is looking for tone, then by all means get an amp. if he wants some really cool stuff = gt-8.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss84 View Post
I dont know what you mean by lack of experience cause i can play very well. It is my first modelling processor and i dont think it sucks that much. Anyway if you think its that bad ill take your word and stay away from digitech.

I cant shop of **** my mom wont allow it(im 15). So what do you think of a pod xt?. Would that be a better option?. I will also try out the amps other people above and you said.

Thanks
Lack of experience as in you've never owned any other amps besides a fender frontman and no other effects besides a digitech processor. You should probably just save for something like a peavey classic 30, because as el cid said nothing will sound great through your amp. The j station I recommended is really more for headphone jamming or recording straight to the pc. Retail for a classic 30 about $600 so it might be a while

Talk to your parents about ****. Setting up a paypal account is very easy and **** is pretty safe if you keep your head straight. All you need from your parents is the use of a credit card, paypal transfers instantly and the seller should ship your amp within a few days. Scams of course are possible but that can be solved with a paypal dispute or cc chargeback.

If you can get on **** you could probably get a classic 30 for $300-$400

Tags
local music shop , peavey classic , pod pro , practice amp , prestige guitar , tube amp , vox tonelab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode