G-Major and blackstar HT-5 head - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

G-Major and blackstar HT-5 head

i was wondering if anyone was playing a G-Major through there blackstar HT-5 head? if so how well does it do? or has anyone heard one go through the head. if not do you guys think it would work good? thanks.
paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 03:53 PM

Reviews: 57
Re: G-Major and blackstar HT-5 head

While I have no direct experience with the head you mention, I do notice that it has an effects loop with a switchable level. So you should have zero problems with the g-major (gm) in there. The gm can do line or instrument level anyway, but set your effects loop to line (+4), and run it into the gm (set also to line level) and you're all set.

The gm is very transparent, and sounds fine in almost any setup. The unit isn't going to change anything other than by whatever effects you set.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackspy View Post
While I have no direct experience with the head you mention, I do notice that it has an effects loop with a switchable level. So you should have zero problems with the g-major (gm) in there. The gm can do line or instrument level anyway, but set your effects loop to line (+4), and run it into the gm (set also to line level) and you're all set.

The gm is very transparent, and sounds fine in almost any setup. The unit isn't going to change anything other than by whatever effects you set.
can you please explain what you mean by set to line +4 and what is the difference between line and instument level like you ststed? sorry about this i have never had an amp head or used an effects loop. does that amp have a line 4? and thanks.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 05:23 PM

Reviews: 59

Hey Paul, I believe he's referring to the signal db level. Some effects put a level out at +4, others at -10db. The blackstar will adjust to accomadate that signal level. Otherwise, your sound quality suffers and things can get noisy.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 09:14 AM

Reviews: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
Hey Paul, I believe he's referring to the signal db level. Some effects put a level out at +4, others at -10db. The blackstar will adjust to accomadate that signal level. Otherwise, your sound quality suffers and things can get noisy.
^^ Exactly... The G-Major will support +4 or -10 db, as does your head. Just make sure they match.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackspy View Post
^^ Exactly... The G-Major will support +4 or -10 db, as does your head. Just make sure they match.
so there is a place on the back of the amp to adjust this?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 12:15 PM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_paul_ski View Post
so there is a place on the back of the amp to adjust this?
Yes, there's a little button next to the effects loop jacks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE View Post
Yes, there's a little button next to the effects loop jacks.
thanks for the info Mark.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode