G-Major replacement options? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

G-Major replacement options?

Hey guys -
I've got a G-Major that has been giving me some trouble... The problem is that I love the effects, especially some of the ones that aren't so common in other units (ie; vibrator, etc)
I've had a few bad instances with my unit locking up while at practice, thank god it hasn't happened live yet, but I'm now afraid to use it because of this. I got it in a trade deal last year and so it has no warranty that I know of.

I'm considering buying a new one to replace it but I'm a little scared of the reliability of them after reading MANY articles from others that had the same problems that I am having.

I'm using a Behringer FCB1010 footcontroller to control my preamp and then have the G-Major next in the Midi chain to also receive channel changes and such.
I'd like to know what other effects units would be able to give me the same flexibility (and quality - without costing thousands of dollars).
Keeping in mind that I'm going to need to have a unit that will do the following effects:
Tremolo, Vibrator, Flanger, Phaser, Chorus, Delay, Reverb, Harmonizer.
I know that because of the Harmonizer and Vibrator effects, that limits my choices, but there has to be something comparable to the G-Major that does these things, hell I'd even consider two different multi FX units if they would do what I need them to do.
I'm going to need to make a decision within the next week or two at the latest, so your timely input would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 09:11 PM

I have a G-major set up the same way as yours. I have never had the trouble you describe.

Nothing in the same price range can compare with it, but I would be looking into haveing it look at by a technician.

Sanchez
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 09:15 PM

You might wanna check into this:

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp...27-Update.html

Maybe a software update would fix your problems?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Hmm.

That's what I thought, so I did the upgrade and it all went well with the upgrade, so I thought, but now the unit will not respond to MIDI commands AT ALL.
I can manually change patches and such and I have tried connecting my FCB1010 directly to the G-Major and it still absolutely won't show any signs that it's receiving a MIDI signal at all.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 09:27 PM

Well, that sucks.

Dunno what to tell you, I'm still running an old-school Alesis Q2 for effects..
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 12:26 AM

Jimosity,
When you do the v1.27 upgrade, it deletes all the MIDI mapped associations between the floorboard and the G-Major.

I know because I updated it last night. It will keep your presets, but you have to reset the MOD, MIDI, I/O, and ROUTING settings you had, as well as your "Levels All" settings, I believe.

Give that a try and let me know what happens.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

:)

I did go in and reset the Sys Params last night and it seems to be back to being functional again, so you were right about that... Thanks!

I did have to change a couple settings in the MIDI / IO sections, but at least it's working again, however - I'm still scared to death of it because even after the upgrade, it locked up on me during last band practice and when it did that, it completely cut my signal out.
Now I don't know what to do.
I wonder if clearing the sys params may help with the locking up issue or if there is something really wrong with the unit that only affects it occasionally. ??
Damn this thing. I love the effects, but I'm afraid of it locking up during a show.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 08:35 AM

Could it possibly be getting too hot? Some electronic units will shut themselves down to avoid damage if they reach a certain temperature. If you have the unit mounted next to your power amp, there might not be enough air flow to keep it cool and the amp might be heating it up.

Just a thought.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 08:41 AM

While it's locked up as you say, can you still change presets manually from the front panel? Just curious what you mean by locked up and wonder if the problem might exist in the floor controller rather than the unit, ie, is it getting the midi change messages from the behringer properly all the time.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Heat

It's sitting in an 8 space rack - the rack is laid out like this:

SPACE 01 - POWER CONDITIONER
SPACE 02 - LINE 6 POD PRO (NOT POWERED ON OR USED RIGHT NOW)
SPACE 03 - LINE 6 POD PRO (NOT POWERED ON OR USED RIGHT NOW)
SPACE 04 - TC ELECTRONIC G-MAJOR
SPACE 05 - BEHRINGER V-AMP PRO
SPACE 06 - BEHRINGER V-AMP PRO
SPACE 07 - MESA BOOGIE 50/50 POWER AMP
SPACE 08 - MESA BOOGIE 50/50 POWER AMP

SO; the only thing it's sitting between are the two preamps, one of which is powered off, the other doesn't get very hot at all I don't think.
The 50/50 is the only unit that really gets hot in the rack I believe.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 09:47 AM

I'd be very interested in knowing what you mean by "locked up" as well... Can anything be accessed or editted from the front panel when it's "locked up"? Although heat might be your problem, my G-Major is racked between my Mesa 20/20 and my Rocktron Piranha (and there's a Marshall JMP-1 above that) so I have lots of tubes burning, and I've never had an issue like you describe (or any others for that matter). I've had mine since the first month or two of it's release, and we play for five hours straight sometimes... BUT...

I run my control pedal (Rocktron MidiMate & G-Minor) into the G-Major first, and then chain into my preamps... AND as I understand it, TC Electronics DOES NOT recommend the use of the Berhinger controller with the G-Major. I have used a Roland FC200 as well as the pedals mentioned above without issue...

Some systems handle and "pass through" midi signals better than others. And if something is feeding CC messages into the G-Major with the PC messages, then you could be experiencing weird results as well. Anyway, sending scrambled, abbreviated, or otherwise messed up Midi signals into the G-Major could conceivably cause it to jam up, I guess, if the issue is logic related and not mechanical/physical (like a faulty connection, chip or cable)... ??
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 09:57 AM

I've been using a Behringer FCB1010 with my G-Major for a while with no problems. TC Electronic don't recommend it simply because it does not allow maximum control of the G-Major.
I wonder if there is a problem with the midi routing. I have the G-Major as the fist part of the midi chain then control my amps from that, using the midi-through. Perhaps your preamp is sending some spurious signal.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

G-Major

When I say lock up, it does it a couple different ways...

Sometimes when I power on the unit, the LCD BACKlight will light up but get no actual display on it.
I then can turn it off, turn it back on and maybe tap the display and things start working again.

Sometimes, while playing, it will just lock up and no longer accept channel changes - it'll still show the display, but all buttons and knobs are useless and do nothing.
Even powering it off won't take power all the way down sometimes, then I have to pull the plug.

And, sometimes, the entire guitar signal will just drop out ENTIRELY and no signal period goes thru it.

Maybe I'll try re-routing my Behringer directly into the G-Major and then have it change the presets on my V-Amp Pro.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 10:11 AM

Sounds like it is completely knackered then. Take it to a tech. To answer your original question, I think that this unit is hard to beat in its price range, so I'd get another one if yours is beyond repair.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman
Sounds like it is completely knackered then. Take it to a tech. To answer your original question, I think that this unit is hard to beat in its price range, so I'd get another one if yours is beyond repair.
oh ya, sounds fried... What Algiman said... or if you're feeling well-heeled and you'd like to get something else, pick up Brent's Lexicon MPX-G2 in the classifieds right now...

Tags
behringer fcb , lexicon mpx , marshall jmp , mesa boogie , pod pro , power amp , rocktron piranha , space rack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode