G.A.S. attacks have been intense lately... - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 02:07 PM

Re: G.A.S. attacks have been intense lately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
We have a kind of understanding at my house.
We don't use 'family' money for instruments, I can flip instruments, sell gear, work the street corners, trade gear, whatever, but 'Family' money is more or less understood to be for, well, the family. I can respect that, hell, I just made a $200.00 donation toward the family accounts by leaving the remaining $200 on the card. I'm a saint...right? *In my best Dr. Evil* Riiiiiiigghhht
I am SO glad I'm single. Entertaining read, though.
bammbamm likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 02:37 PM

That's a lot like it is at my house as well I 'saved' about 300 or so on my 7VWH a week or so ago, but it only took me about 48 hours to have Bartolini on the phone! And even though I can't afford one, I can't keep from watching the current prices of used Korg Karmas on the 'Bay either
I figure I'll probably be in big trouble by the end of July! (I don't have two more inputs in my mixer for the stereo Karma outs, so I'll also need a new mixer head and possibly a new stereo amp...which opens the way for better stereo effects............)
Well, at least I have a cooler and the old barbecue in the garage! LOL
bammbamm likes this.
post #33 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 02:56 PM

I was hit the other day...

post #34 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I am SO glad I'm single. Entertaining read, though.
I recall the days where I wanted something, I just went out and got it with no real repercussions other than to my wallet. Now... Well... I can imagine how GW feels in nuclear talks with Iran.

I get where my wife is coming from, entirely, but I don't think she exactly knows why I need more than 1 guitar. I'm glad I had a good amount of gear before getting married.

Let that be a hint to those of you planning on taking the "plunge" amass tons of gear BEFORE you're hitched! You'll have some room to trade and deal after the clamps have been put in place.
post #35 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 12:26 PM

Reviews: 18

I am very lucky that my wife is understanding of my lust for guitars and electronics. If anyone ever considers getting married, make sure you disclose about GAS before walking down the aisle or signing the papers. As long as he/she is aware of it and you make it known that you're not budging on not being able to buy gear anymore, everything should be kosher. My wife's only prerequisite is that I can buy stuff as long as everything else is met financially, so that works. GAS occurs to me all the time but nowadays I'm more into buying high prized guitars, so it occurs probably once or twice a year. Electronics? that's a different story, I can get away with that stuff all the time with moderation

Jimmy
bammbamm likes this.
post #36 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 04:33 PM

Reviews: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo1299 View Post
i meant that effects processors don't last incredibly long, and i wanted a new one
I have a BOSS ME-5 that I bought in 1988 and works like the day I bought it. Exactly what should be "not lasting incredibly long" on this unit?
post #37 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 04:33 PM

Reviews: 130

GAS ATTACK!!!

Taylor T5-S1 w/Quilted blue maple top. Should I go for it?
post #38 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 06:59 PM

sure why not, saw a craigslisting for a uber cheap rg7620 the other day, but by the time i got a email reply someone else had beaten me to it, oh well, i would have been all over it like stink on....
post #39 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

You NEED it don't you?
Then get it!
Better to ask forgiveness than permission, I always say
post #40 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 04:43 AM

While the missus doesn't QUITE understand g.a.s., in a noble effort to get her to achieve at least partial understanding, I bought her a guitar. And a practice amp. And straps. And picks. And cleaning stuff. And a music stand (that trip got me a J-Custom on the side). And books. And a tuner. And a metronome.

It's starting to sink in, I think.
post #41 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm, I like that.
I don't think a guitar would work for my wife, but I know what would...
A couple .5ct or larger earrings.

I'm going to explore your approach, young Jedi..
post #42 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 12:56 PM

dont go there, my dad loves fishing and tried a fishing pole once for my mom, lets just say he quickly reverted back to things measured in ct weights, stick to what you just said, .5ct or greater
post #43 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo1299 View Post
i'm 14 - you guys have to deal with ur wives, me my dad. My dad can possibly see the reason to spend $500 on a boss gt-8 when you can get a crappy digitech rp200 for $100. he doesn't see the quality difference. i was extremely lucky he said he'd help pay for thegt8. but i'm gonna want to add some pedals to the gt8, he's gonna be like, you've already got that big expensive thing, why do u want more!!???? and i will spend 1 hour in pointless exasperation explaining, and he still won't get it....

when i'm buying a new amp is gonna be anighmare
Heheh, I know what you mean. I'm 14, and its a pain in the ass convincing your parents to let you buy new gear. I'm actually trying to get a new amp right now, a Mark Iv to be exact.

Ex
Me telling my mom about the Mark Iv head on ****
Her Response
"You're not even buying a whole amp!"

Then you'll have my dad who calls me pathetic because all I do on the weekends is practice. Whatever. I'd rather be amazing by the end of the summer than kill time with my friends. Thats what weekdays are for.
post #44 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lemons View Post
Heheh, I know what you mean. I'm 14, and its a pain in the ass convincing your parents to let you buy new gear. I'm actually trying to get a new amp right now, a Mark Iv to be exact.

Ex
Me telling my mom about the Mark Iv head on ****
Her Response
"You're not even buying a whole amp!"

Then you'll have my dad who calls me pathetic because all I do on the weekends is practice. Whatever. I'd rather be amazing by the end of the summer than kill time with my friends. Thats what weekdays are for.
lol yeah. my amp just blew!! i think it may just be the speaker, since there's a ton of fuzz and rattling but yeah, it sucks, especially since i'm broke from buying the gt-8. when i bought the gt-8 my dad said, now no more buying for a LONG time. i was like... crap. lol. my mom thinks spending 60 bucks on a new speaker is a fortune. it sucks lol. oh well, i need to fix my amp or fight with GC for another FREE one. it's only a 15 watter so oh well

btw, for the whole FX decline story - if a FX processor gets very dusty, a lil wet, banged around, it won't last to long, they need super care.
post #45 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Why would you get it wet?
Dusty? Umm, wipe it down? (dust on the exterior, will most likely not cause it to stop working) Oxidation on the pots will cause noise and crackling, otherwise unless your caps all are sub-grade poop, you should be fine for YEARS.
Don't use it for a door-stop.

Tags
andy summers , bbe sonic , bbe sonic maximizer , behringer fcb , chris woods , christopher woods , custom jem , ernie ball , guitar shop , high gain amp , jackson dinky , jsx combo , loop station , marshall dsl , marshall jmp , marshall jvm , mesa boogie , mesa boogie mark , mesa recto , midi controller , midi pedal , music store , noise suppressor , playing guitar , power amp , practice amp , rack setup , recto cab , rocktron hush , rocktron midi mate , sonic maximizer , space rack , speaker cab , speaker cabs , squier strat , stomp box , string section , volume pedal , volume pedals , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode