G.A.S. attacks have been intense lately... - Page 4 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Re: G.A.S. attacks have been intense lately...

...So... I found a great deal on the SRJV-02 Orchestral module for 75 bucks. Got it, no hassle, ya know why? Cuz I didn't tell my wife, and I didn't need to. I had a few bucks from a couple lil side jobs that people owed me money for, and gosh darn-it, it was shweet. It was a craig's list buy and I have to admit, I was a bit of a dork, but I was feeling like Gene Simmons from Runaway, the Tom Sellack film about the crazy robots. Upon meeting the guy in a mid point location between us, I step out of the car, he gets out of his, I say "Mister H****, do you have the microchips?"
*He looks at me puzzled*
"What?"
"I said, do you have the microchips?"
Him: "Oh, uhh, yeah", with a half a smirk.

I was really hoping he'd say something to the effect of, "Do you have my money Mister B******?"
and then I'd come back with some other witty reply, but he wasn't really into as much as I was, oh well, so be it, I'll go be dorky at practice...

I highly recommend the now older Roland JV series synths, they use the same sample sets in the new XP series and you can get the expansion modules for a bit less than you used to. Above all, the sounds are killer. Great pianos, string sections, etc. The model I got, the JV2080 has 8 expansion modules and 128 voice polyphony, GREAT for doing a mix of MIDI and audio applications. Makes life easier. A quick aside: I went to GC earlier to poke around, since I had this "spare" cash burning holes in my pockets. I hate the local shop, it's so close, but the workers there are a bunch of dolts. One guy plays Mr. [email protected] and won't budge on pricing, so he gets a bigger commission, EFF him. All I tried to do was get a 2 tier KB stand for 99 bux out the door, no tax, he won't work with me, at ALL!. Screw'em. I'll find one used on CL for less and no tax and I'll have 20 bucks left over for a pizza or something. I hate GC, nothing but problems [email protected] wipes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
Don't use it for a door-stop.
or a towel.
bammbamm likes this.
post #48 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Hi, I'm Bammbamm, and I have...G.A.S.
post #49 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 08:36 AM

Reviews: 18

Maybe we should come up with a G.A.S. T-Shirt of some kind to sell it exclusively through Jemsite (provided that Glen approves, of course).

Jimmy
post #50 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

We wouldn't even need Glen's approval unless it had the Jemsite logo on it.

GAS-ANON
Charter Member
post #51 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

How about a shirt that just says "Got G.A.S.?" on the front, then the back:
Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
post #52 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 11:13 AM

That sounds good Bamm. I might use photoshop on a black t-shirt and see what kind of font looks good.

Jimmy
post #53 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

post #54 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Or I was thinking of saying something like, "Problem, what problem?!"
post #55 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 11:41 AM

Bamm..... you're too much. I just read this whole thread! Too much I tell ya....

One simple solution to the credit card issues..... get your own card! Just remember you can't slip that bill in with the others! Your Chief Financial Officer will find it eventually!

Or you could just tell her how lucky she is your not spending that money on a mistress! She'll understand and appriciate that, ya think?
bammbamm likes this.
post #56 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:02 PM

Or you could do what I did.....

Do a balance transfer of 0% apr and pay it off before the grace period ends

Jimmy
post #57 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

I do have my own card, but I've locked it away, and I don't plan on doing any more purchases that way. We just paid everything off and I don't want to carry a balance. Usually I just pay cash for what I 'need' and call it good. it's justwi th the G-system it was a tad more than I had on hand. Glad it didn't work out for me, I was able to grab other goodies with the $ instead.
post #58 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:16 PM

Bamm, what exactly didn't you like about the G System? Also, have you tried the BBE Sonic Maximizer 882i (I believe that's the new model number) What exactly does it do to your sound? One can only read so much about the product but they should post some clips on their site.

Jimmy
post #59 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
I do have my own card, but I've locked it away, and I don't plan on doing any more purchases that way. We just paid everything off and I don't want to carry a balance. Usually I just pay cash for what I 'need' and call it good. it's justwi th the G-system it was a tad more than I had on hand. Glad it didn't work out for me, I was able to grab other goodies with the $ instead.
Bamm...... it sounds like you're getting all serious on us now! You don't think she'll bite on the "mistress" excuse??
post #60 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

I can assure you the mistress thing would fly about as far as one of my guitars will...out the window...

The G-system has sound clips on line as well as a full on demo that is pretty cool. I had noise issues. LOTS of noise issues. The G-system cost me more money in George L's cables and rewiring my rack, and while it resolved a few issues, there was an inherent noise level anytime I engaged the unit. it's a great design and concept, but I think it has a few flaws to iron out.

It is INSANELY verbose, you control every aspect of your sound with it and then have to replicate the patches time after time just to have a base to start from. That takes forever. Then there are issues with the types of expression controllers you can use, the audio taper voltage controllers don't play so well with the G-system, you need a linear taper pot ideally. You can calibrate and adjust other ways around having an A.T. pot controller, but it's a hassle. The other thing is the lack of intuitive controls. Once you can grasp how you edit and navigate the menus, it becomes a tad easier, but you can't just sit down and plug and play, you need to really read the manual.

I can handle the navigation thing, but when you can't engage a gain channel without a huge increase in noise, it's clearly doing something to my signal I don't like. The G-Major was a good choice. I don't get intelligent harmonies, but I don't use many harmonized settings anyway. The rest of the effects are stellar and transparent.

As for the BBE stuff, I had the Aphex Aural Exciter (non C2)... bought that back when me and the wife were just dating, she wanted to know what that thing did as soon as I mentioned it
There is a lack of switch-ability that I don't care for, if you could control it externally, I'd like it better. AFAIK, the BBE's are the same way, face mounted switching only (Aside from the stomp boxes).

I think the less crap my signal goes through, the better.
The rack sounds pretty damn good now.

I will have some samples posted soon enough, we're recording lots of cool new tracks and tonight we're doing a mic test on my cabs to see how we can best dial it in. I'm using my AT 4033 and my Audix OM-5 vs. my drummers Shure Beta 57 & 58.

More gear trauma if the Audix sounds better I'll need a few more.

Tags
andy summers , bbe sonic , bbe sonic maximizer , behringer fcb , chris woods , christopher woods , custom jem , ernie ball , guitar shop , high gain amp , jackson dinky , jsx combo , loop station , marshall dsl , marshall jmp , marshall jvm , mesa boogie , mesa boogie mark , mesa recto , midi controller , midi pedal , music store , noise suppressor , playing guitar , power amp , practice amp , rack setup , recto cab , rocktron hush , rocktron midi mate , sonic maximizer , space rack , speaker cab , speaker cabs , squier strat , stomp box , string section , volume pedal , volume pedals , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode