G.A.S. attacks have been intense lately... - Page 6 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Re: G.A.S. attacks have been intense lately...

I just upgraded my rig from the Mesa 20/20 power amp to a Mesa Stereo Simul 2:90 I found on Craig's list.

HO-LEE-CRAP ! ! !

I have loved my 20/20 from day one, you drop some new JJ's in that sucker and she sings for you.
I got a KILLER deal on the 2:90 and sold the 20/20 within a matter of hours today, and Oh, dear lord...
The 2:90 was owned by a music store/ Rental place here in the city, and it was purchased for one artist that the staff didn't even remember. Anyway, it was rented 1 time to that guy 3 years ago and has been sitting in a rack case since. They listed it on Craig's for dirt cheap. I called once I had an offer on the 20/20 and they put a sticker with my name on it for me. How nice, eh? No money down, just a promise from me to pick it up. So I'm antsy as any 6 year old on Christmas morning, and Holy cow, was I well rewarded for my timing and purchase prowess.

This power amp makes all the difference on the planet ! ! !
Imagine listening to Metallica's 'Master of Puppets' played through a Vox AC 30, then re record it with the Mesas they used...It's that dramatic.
The amount of body and punch that power amp delivers is SICK !
You pair that with the 4 Celestion G-12-85's that I have and DAMN it all if you don't punch the air out of your lungs. Percussive and punchy, tones of body and all the best things out of an amp you didn't know you needed. I engaged the Modern mode and crapped my pants... I fired up the Deep extend mode... Yeah, other secretions were expelled... I combined the two, OK, someone get me some new clothes. My drummer is a tone freak Like me, as he's also a guitarist and a tone purist of sorts, so he's geeking right along with me.
Anyway, between selling the 20/20 and buying the 2:90 I'm out of pocket 70 bucks... I think even the wifey will understand why I HAD to buy it... IT WAS ON SALE !

GAS IS BACK! ! !

Last edited by bammbamm; 03-11-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 01:03 AM

Reviews: 12

felt the same way when I got my 2:90, although I prolly paid twice as much as you got it for. I got it from a DiMarzio endorsed artist who had the whole thing retubed before I bought it... i'm using the G-major's switching output to access the deep and modern mode, connected it through my friend's mesa recto 4x12 a while ago and well... talk about rumble just for fun... my buddy lent me his Mark III and experimented its slave out into the 2:90... the Mark III [which my friend has extensively modified the tubes] can hold on its own but through slave out into the 2:90 gave it a whole new character... for fun, we enabled the deep extend of the Mark III and enabled the Deep Mode of the 2:90... wayyyyyyyy too much bass for the cabinet to handle but it didn't sound like it was farting haha... the experiment was short-lived but i'm damn interested in finding a rackmount Mark III or IV to place in the mix.
Before that happens, I still need to get my cabinet back... it's missing one speaker and then I need to shop for a midi pedal afterwards!

Reg
bammbamm likes this.
post #78 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

I know what you mean. Not to mention, you start pushing the Celestion '85s and you really feel them breathe, they are actually being 'used' which it almost seems in comparison that they were just idling before.
WHOAA, MAMA ! ! !
post #79 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 05:33 PM

Reviews: 12

I finally got my cab over the weekend... 2 Mesa 90W Black Shadows + 2 Vintage 30's... one of the Mesa speaker's dustcover is torn and needs to be reconed but that's nothing major...
now to shop for midi pedals and i thought I'd ask how bamm ended up with the X-15... what other midi pedals did ya try out before the X-15... any issues or flaws you'd like to mention? i'd never thought shopping for midi pedals would be a pita... the GCX board seems too bulky... the Behringer FCB looks cheap... the roland FC-200 looks ideal but lacks the CC/Program switching... the rocktron midi mate doesn't look quite as rugged [though i've never used one]... I just need a durable pedal that can receive phantom power. external relay switching, and bank/cc control!

Reg
post #80 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

The X-15 is not bad, the one gripe I have with it is the encoder strips it uses in lieu of a real pot. The strips can come out of the track if you run your cables the wrong way under the treadle of the CC footpedals. Aside from that, it's not bad. One other thing is you have to do a mod to get phantom power to the pedal, OR, buy the rocktron 7 pin midi cable that has 7 pins on one end, 5 on the other and a DC jack that splits off on the 5 pin end. The only issue with that is you need to change out the plug to a type that fits your controller. I actually like the look of the Behringer, it resembles the Roland. Rocktron's pedals look pretty sturdy to me as well. I had the ADA MC-1 back in the day, but it took a dump early on and I got a steal on the X-15 waith a Grundorf case to boot.
post #81 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

So you bastids are doing it to me again... I started thinking about upgrading my MIDI controller. Why?
I dunno, I guess after you've been using the same gear for a while, you start to wonder if you can do better. Uggh, I hope my wife doesn't read this and get the wrong idea

Anyway, Maybe it's just that I want something shiny, or with phantom power, or maybe I just need to mod mine like I've been planning.

Anyone have any suggestions?
The only requirements are I need continuous controllers, I use mine for cross fades and effect mixes (Speed control for a leslie simulator & Trem too)
post #82 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 09:04 AM

Reviews: 18

How about the FC300? I've been thinking about getting that foot controller for my GT-Pro but that probably won't happen until next year.

Jimmy
bammbamm likes this.
post #83 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Who makes it?
post #84 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 10:05 AM

behringer i thk
post #85 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 10:16 AM

Here's another link for a closer look:

http://www.guitariste.com/articles/i...and-fc-300.jpg

Jimmy
post #86 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Looks nice!
I'm just debating if I want dual function buttons like 1/5 2/6, 3/7, etc.
I had a Rockman Midi Pedal that was very robust and a solid unit, but if you have to do jumps from say, patch 21 to 95, you have to up increment very rapidly.

I had one that I thought was a Digitech, but it mayu have been a PMC, but at the time, it did more than I needed so I ditched it, but it could send chord changes to midi sound modules. I could use something like that for a set of bass pedals now, which would be fun for my 20 minute Yngwie-esque solos
I just have to let the band know my intent, so they can start looking for another gig
post #87 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 12:01 PM

i should get the FC-300 as an addon controller for my gt-8... that would be funny
post #88 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 12:28 PM

You should just get it and give it to me. That would be even funnier

Jimmy
post #89 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 03:24 PM

Reviews: 130

Ok--so I've been buying all sorts of recording and practice tools. Latest acquisitions:

Boss RC-50 Loop Station
Boss DR-880 Dr. Rhythm
Korg Pandora DX4

All great for practice and composition.
bammbamm likes this.
post #90 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Nice toys.
You using 'em like you should? (Frequently)

Tags
andy summers , bbe sonic , bbe sonic maximizer , behringer fcb , chris woods , christopher woods , custom jem , ernie ball , guitar shop , high gain amp , jackson dinky , jsx combo , loop station , marshall dsl , marshall jmp , marshall jvm , mesa boogie , mesa boogie mark , mesa recto , midi controller , midi pedal , music store , noise suppressor , playing guitar , power amp , practice amp , rack setup , recto cab , rocktron hush , rocktron midi mate , sonic maximizer , space rack , speaker cab , speaker cabs , squier strat , stomp box , string section , volume pedal , volume pedals , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode