G.A.S. attacks have been intense lately... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
G.A.S. attacks have been intense lately...

So this all started when I decided my drummer was right and that I needed a more transparent effects system for my Triaxis based rig...
So I started digging around, and lo and behold, there was the G-system at a paltry 2300 list, $1350.00 delivered from an online retailer.
I lubed up the old mental faculties, as I had to sweet talk the wife into something of that magnitude...then I thought, "hmm, perhaps it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission, eh?" WHAT Am I saying, she'll kill me, I can't just blow that kind of money any more, I have kids, I have a mortgage...

So 2 days later the G-system arrives...
What?!?!

I sold some stuff !

Ok?

Ok, well, I was in the process of selling some stuff...

Anyway, I started messing with it at home and was not thoroughly impressed with it, sadly. I jeopardized my happy home life for this thing?! So I go nuts on the forums, digging for a reason it could be making so much noise and sounding so badly. I find the answers I was looking for and bring it to the practice spot with me. Hmm, still noisy. "Maybe it's those cables you made back in the early 90's?", my Drummer chimed in. He might have a point.
I found a decent deal on 20' of George L's cable, a bunch of new Switchcraft 1/4" ends (I can't buy into the whole solderless thing) and make my new patch cables. I wire it up and there is a discernible improvement, but not enough for either my own or my Drummer's liking.

**Side note, before you start scratching your head at why the hell I, a seasoned veteran of the guitar rig would be entertaining advice from a drummer, know that this guy is an uber-geek on tone and recording clarity, not to mention in the process of getting his Masters in Music.**

So after much effort and hours of tweaking and dialing, I just couldn't get the G-system dialed in to my liking.
Back it went, All I had to pay was return shipping ($50) not a bad rental fee, I guess....

To be continued...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 04:07 PM

Re: G.A.S. attacks have been intense lately...

Tell me about it. I was bitten just last week.

It's a sickness you can never rid yourself of.
post #3 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 04:07 PM

Bamm,

interesting little story. What are you going to look into now?

BigJob
post #4 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 04:13 PM

Reviews: 2
Wink Re: G.A.S. attacks have been intense lately...

Funny!! Seems we all do have exactly the same problems here! Quite funny that approach regarding not telling your wife. I think if i would ask my wife for permission and even listen to here before buying something i still would be playing guitar on my tennis racket. So you did quite right.
post #5 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 04:26 PM

So did the wife ever discover this latest GAS eruption?

If the G system is not for you then I suggest you go completely in the opposite direction and blow $1350 on boutique/vintage pedals. You'll get through the money really quickly and will have more cardboard boxes to show for it. Your wife will be impressed that you got so many boxes for your money rather than 1 big gadget box like the G system came in
post #6 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 04:42 PM

i'm 14 - you guys have to deal with ur wives, me my dad. My dad can possibly see the reason to spend $500 on a boss gt-8 when you can get a crappy digitech rp200 for $100. he doesn't see the quality difference. i was extremely lucky he said he'd help pay for thegt8. but i'm gonna want to add some pedals to the gt8, he's gonna be like, you've already got that big expensive thing, why do u want more!!???? and i will spend 1 hour in pointless exasperation explaining, and he still won't get it....

when i'm buying a new amp is gonna be anighmare
post #7 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo1299 View Post
i'm 14 - you guys have to deal with ur wives, me my dad. My dad can possibly see the reason to spend $500 on a boss gt-8 when you can get a crappy digitech rp200 for $100. he doesn't see the quality difference. i was extremely lucky he said he'd help pay for thegt8. but i'm gonna want to add some pedals to the gt8, he's gonna be like, you've already got that big expensive thing, why do u want more!!???? and i will spend 1 hour in pointless exasperation explaining, and he still won't get it....

when i'm buying a new amp is gonna be anighmare
You shouldn't expect somebody who's not a musician to be able to understand the difference between cheap gear and expensive gear. Having said that, I don't think you should expect him to pay for it. I think you should scrape and save for it, and prove to him that there's a big enough difference that you're willing to work hard for it.

And don't say "I'm 14, I can't find work", because you can. I remember being 12, and working my ass off mowing lawns for next to nothing while trying to save for my first guitar.
post #8 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 05:23 PM

Most likely you needed some iso boxes for the insert loop on the G-System. Mine buzzed horribly, but after adding the iso boxes it's extremely quiet.

I'm glad you were able to send it back without much hassle .
post #9 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander In The Sun View Post
You shouldn't expect somebody who's not a musician to be able to understand the difference between cheap gear and expensive gear. Having said that, I don't think you should expect him to pay for it. I think you should scrape and save for it, and prove to him that there's a big enough difference that you're willing to work hard for it.

And don't say "I'm 14, I can't find work", because you can. I remember being 12, and working my ass off mowing lawns for next to nothing while trying to save for my first guitar.
i worked my ass off to pay half of it. i asked him to pay half of it, and he agreed since i'm getting pretty decent, and i've paid for all my own gear so far and he would like me to expand.

and i'm not expecting him to understand the difference between gear, i'm just saying it's really hard as a kid to buy something when your parents aren't exactly behind you in a purchase

and i am starting a business to maek money, don't just automatically assume i'm sitting here begging for money. but remember, i'm saving for college and a car. i'm thinking ahead
post #10 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 08:26 PM

Thumbs up Re: G.A.S. attacks have been intense lately...

Quote:
i worked my ass off to pay half of it. i asked him to pay half of it, and he agreed since i'm getting pretty decent, and i've paid for all my own gear so far and he would like me to expand.

and i'm not expecting him to understand the difference between gear, i'm just saying it's really hard as a kid to buy something when your parents aren't exactly behind you in a purchase

and i am starting a business to maek money, don't just automatically assume i'm sitting here begging for money. but remember, i'm saving for college and a car. i'm thinking ahead
Well, the way you posted earlier, you made it sound as though you were just begging. That was my mistake, and I apologize.

Way to be on the ball, kid.
post #11 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

...So after I shipped back the G-system, I was in a quandary.
What to get, what to get? Hmm, maybe the G-Force would be the next best thing to do, eh? OF COURSE IT WOULD ! Now through my mind changes and waffling, Spectrum Audio in California was totally cool, they said, "As long as it shows up like we sent it, you can get a refund." So I asked about an even exchange for the G-force, they said NP... Except they didn't have any in stock and they were minimum 2-4 weeks on back order.... Not what I feel like dealing with, but patience IS a virtue, right?

Right.

So I'm over on the gear page and a guy has a G-Major for sale dirt cheap, I mean like, "I'm being evicted and would sell my wife to you if she'd let me", cheap. I snatch it and she arrives in MINTY shape (the G-Major, not the guy's wife), with the manuals, stickers, the whole 9 yards... And God Bless those guys over there, they, about 90% of them, LOATHE rack gear, so I'm as happy in a pig in slop to take a nice unit from someone who can't STAND that rack "crap". SO the box arrives, albeit, somewhat smaller than the previous cargo container the G-system came in, but it arrives safely. I eagerly open it and inspect it, all is well.

The wife BTW, noticed the G-system as I was fiddling with it. I'd forgotten to mention that... Mind you, I still hadn't really come up with a way to account for all the $ I'd put on the Discover card on that bad boy, maybe 70% but not all of it... so she asked "whats that thing?" Thinking quickly, I told her it was a new "Chronosynclastic-infindibulum".

She wasn't having it.

So she asked again..

This time I said, ahh, just a lil guitar effects thingy I'm checking out

*cringe*

"And how much was that thing?", she asked.

"Uhh only umm...well uhh...mumble mumblehundred dollars."

She smelled weakness.

"HOW MUCH?!"

*phone rings*

Praise Jesus!

It's her Mom !

I say AMEN ! ! !

"I uh, hafta run to the store, I'll be back"
I leave in a flurry of cell phone grabbing, key snatching fervor that can only be equated to that of Jeff Gordon winning the Piston cup.

Mater: He did WHAT in his cup?!

I emerged unscathed, for now...

Last edited by bammbamm; 06-08-2007 at 01:17 AM.
post #12 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 01:18 AM

Reviews: 6

Yeah I've been craving a Reverend guitar. Preferably the one with the wilkinson trem and 3 p-90 pickups.
bammbamm likes this.
post #13 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 01:25 AM

ive been craving a new amp but Arby's paying me every two weeks sucks. I'm 16 and have little control over blowing my money. See I have GAS like all of you. But I also have severe BAS(Booze Acquisition Syndrome). So I make a little over 100 a week and spend about 10 of it each week on beer. Then you gotta account food, females, random ****, and the fact that the amp itself is gonna be around 800 total
post #14 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 03:09 AM

It happens to the best of us. *holds fist in the air*
post #15 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 07:28 AM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: G.A.S. attacks have been intense lately...

Quote:

Yoyo,

It's great that you have those priorities set towards your education, I think it's really commendable. Have you looked at getting used equipment instead? Sites like carigslist and the bay have a myriad of effects for sale and GT-8's will usually go for less than 500 and more like 300 ish with shipping. Personally, I think you should really focus on school and playing what you have instead of acquiring more gear because there really isn't a need for it (considering you mentioned you don't even have a great amp to begin with), so why get a GT8? Like I said, if you must have one, then get a used one. You'll save a lot of money that you don't have and your dad will appreciate you looking out for his pocket.

Jimmy

Tags
andy summers , bbe sonic , bbe sonic maximizer , behringer fcb , chris woods , christopher woods , custom jem , ernie ball , guitar shop , high gain amp , jackson dinky , jsx combo , loop station , marshall dsl , marshall jmp , marshall jvm , mesa boogie , mesa boogie mark , mesa recto , midi controller , midi pedal , music store , noise suppressor , playing guitar , power amp , practice amp , rack setup , recto cab , rocktron hush , rocktron midi mate , sonic maximizer , space rack , speaker cab , speaker cabs , squier strat , stomp box , string section , volume pedal , volume pedals , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode