GAS is good at 20% off! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 16
GAS is good at 20% off!

Just getting back from Guitar Center with their 20% off sale. I've been looking at the Korg 32 track recorder for a while now and today was the day. You can't beat a guaranteed 20% off!

I picked that up along with a Yamaha keyboard (PRS-E403) and a stand. I've also got a M-Audio MIDI keyboard on the way too. I think I'm going to be set for a while.

They had some of the new Ibanez axes in stock. I was looking to see if they had the ones that have a splater paint job - RGR320EX. They had all 3 colors there. Although the paint job and quality was good, I don't understand the $600 price tag. Are these limited edition? They had the made by Ibanez wannabe EMG pickups, which are ok, but I don't think they're ALL THAT.

I didn't try out the guitar, but I was so tempted to take the yellow splatered guitar home with me.

I did, however, win the Led Zepplin complete discography on CD. There's 13 CDs in the collection I guess. To this day I've never bought a single one. I've never been that much into LZ, but I guess I'll give these a listen.

I was completely stunned though. This is like the first thing that I've won in about 28 years...the last thing being an Easter basket with candy in it from McDonalds when I was like 6 or something.

Anyways, it was a good trip even taking into account having to get up that early. Inside GC was completely mad and disorganized. I kept asking for help in the keyboard area, they kept telling me they'd be right there. All the while I see people getting helped that came in well after me. I was one of the first 10 inside this morning. I was getting pissed after being there for 1.5 hours and still not getting helped and seeing others that just came in getting helped. Then my GC guy, Scott, came by and hooked me up.

Well, I'm off to take a small nap. I'll have to give you all a preview of the keyboard ($200) and the 32 track recorder (Korg D3200 - $1300).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 02:07 PM

Re: GAS is good at 20% off!

Don't ya just love music equipment stores and hardware stores........well I do anyway.......sounds like you had a fun day. I'll be watching for your thoughts on your new recorder. I use Sonar myself, but I can see the popularity of the hardware recorders.........
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 02:22 PM

oh black friday.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordhauser View Post
oh black friday.
I just buy from Chuck Levins Washington Muisc, every day is black friday. If I go shopping on a day like to day I feel like beating folks in stores.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:39 PM

Have you had a good rest and recorded a great song yet?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Not yet. I've been busy all day. I did catch that nap though. But then I worked out and did some stuff around the house and I'm just now sitting down to check it out. I might do some test records tomorrow.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 07:57 AM
Banned

that darn pink text is hard to read while I'm driving!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

It'll be even harder to read tumbling end over end while wrecking if you don't keep your eyes on the road instead of surfing the net.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Banned

am I the only one surfin while driving
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 05:23 PM

Get the kids in the house!...........Darin is in the car again!.............What town do you live in anyway?......I don't want to drive there.......Is your insurance paid up?!........

Last edited by Thomas Welch; 11-24-2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: !!!!!!!!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 10:49 PM

I missed it I came on holiday to florida and that was one of the reasons... and I slept through it!!!! quite annoyed but meh, its my fault is it?

Btw Florida rocks! and its not cold just, no matter what people say you lot dont know the meaning of the word!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Cold? Oh, I'm not from here. Trust me, I know what cold is.

Where at in Florida are you visiting?

As for my review, the keyboard I've fiddled with alittle bit. I like the instruments that it has. I'm happy with the way most of them sound except for the strings. I think they're probably the hardest to recreate and still sound real. They sound ok, but you can tell that they aren't real. The modulation is a loop. It would be nice if there was a random variance in the modulation so it might sound better. Other than that, they'll do the trick. I'm probably going to be picking up a violin, viola and cello eventually anyways.

The wind instruments sound pretty good. Again with the strings, if you stay on a note for too long you can kinda tell that it's not a real instrument because of the modulation loop.

All in all, it's a great keyboard to add a special touch to your recording for only $200.

As for the 32 track recorder, I'm not liking it so far. Sucks to say that after spending over a grand on it. I guess I'm just so used to the ease and quickness of my 8 track onboard my Digitech GNX4. There are so many hoops you have to jump thru just to get ready to record on this Korg.

I was able to record on it though. Just did a junk track to see if I could actually get to record. I tried out the onboard drummer too. I'm not impressed with it at all. The loops sound so fake, although I do like the humanizing tweaks you can make to it. I like my GNX4 drummer much better. However, I only use it to keep time while I'm recording. I build my own drums in FLStudio.

I wasn't able to get it to do a pre-roll before it starts recording. You know, that way you have time to hit the record button and grab your guitar before it actually starts recording. Apparently you have to build a drum session in this thing and since I want that pre-roll click off I'll have to do that first and then put the drum loops in after that. ....more hoops to jump thru.

Apparently the gods didn't grace this unit with a quantitizer either. Some don't like that feature, but I like it. It's on my GNX4. I figured it would be standard equipment, but I guess it's a "high end feature".

It's got alot of other bells and whistles on it, like effects, which I've got no interest in. I bought it mainly for the 32 tracks. This unit is really a stand alone studio where you can master an entire album without using anything else.

It's definitely not an intuitive design and on the verge of not being user friendly. You really have to read the manual to make sure you check off all those hoops you have to do - settings in screen and tabs that are layered into other screens. But you can record at an extreme high fidelity bit/sampling rate. Now that I like alot.

I'm sure it'll grow on me in time.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 01:26 AM

Pensacola. Its great! its so differnet from the UK yet somehow simmilar.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 09:56 AM

Hey... I know what you mean about keyboard sounds. They are either hit or miss especially the strings. I donít know if any keyboard does them perfectly. As for the violin or cello,...I am with you there. Iíve been experimenting with a cello plugged into different sound effects for a while now. Nothing else like it. Iím trying to write songs that incorporate electric guitar and cello. With the recorder, look on the bright side, You will always have a recorder with a really good sample rate. Thatís the most important feature in a recorder anyway.

I had a chance to listen to your music on Saturday and I must say I really like it. Itís in the vain of what I like to listen to and try to write. I look forward to hearing more....I would really like a copy whenever you get ready to distribute it.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 10:54 AM

I called GC to see if they extended the sale for used stuff but they didn't

If you aren't into the Led Zep Box set, shoot me a PM.

Congrats on your new toys

Tags
electric guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode