GAS - medium output tube amp for practice/small gigs - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

GAS - medium output tube amp for practice/small gigs

Thanks to a deadbeat seller on craigslist I'm now GASing for a 50ish watt tube amp that produces bright, articulate cleans. My current practice amp is a solid state Crate RFX30, which does the job, but I need something a step or two up for around $500 or so.

After some research, and knowing what's available locally, here's what I'm considering:

B-52 AT-112
Peavey ValveKing 112
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Crate V50 112 (This model is apparently new enough that I'm having trouble finding any substantive reviews or sound clips.)

I have more than enough effects pedals and such that I'm not really worried about the overdrive channels. I'd rather start with a lively clean tone and take it from there. I'm not really into the fat, warm vintage Marshall tone.

Any and all experiences you can share or suggestions for other models are welcome. I have my Ibby's for Satch and Vai type stuff, but have Fenders and Gibby's/Epi's for blues, alternative, a little classic rock and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 02:31 PM

Re: GAS - medium output tube amp for practice/small gigs

hot rod deluxe has a good clean and absorbs pedals very well.. it is also very loud
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 02:32 PM

pretty sure the valveking is more focused on the dirty channel.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick responses. The craigslist amp I looked at was a HR Deville, but never got a chance to play it. Everytime I sit down in a music shop to try a guitar I plug into a HR Deluxe (for the sake of having a common control), but never *really* noodled around with the amp itself.

I saw this Guitar Player video review earlier and it almost sounds like the Fender clean channel "shimmers" a bit much, like it's super, ultra bright. Or is that just the quality of the recording?

http://guitarplayertv.com/index.html?req=1&station=gear
(go to amplifiers and then amp showdown)

At least in that review, the B-52 and Peavey sound closest to what I'm after.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 03:15 PM

http://visualsound.net/mp3.htm

click on the bottom vid (john perry)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 05:29 PM

I live my hr deluxe more than any amp in the world!
its clean is sublime, as with all hotrods, the volume is kinda pointless though!
between 1-2 is super sensative, and anything above 4 just adds more distortion rather than volume.

but i chuckled at your reasons, as i am currently looking for a smaller tube amp to take to smaller gigs/practice with (something in the 10-15 watt range), as the deluxe is too big for me (i normally play with a violin and cello)

a word of warning about the hr deluxe tho, it is pretty noisy, i have had mine for a few years, and the problem is getting worse. changing the tubes does nothing as well

good luck amp hunting!

toma

x
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 05:44 PM

Reviews: 18

Stay away from Crate, they're just entry level amps. My vote would go to a Peavey Classic 50.

Jimmy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 05:45 PM

In the GP magazine "tube combos under $500 shootout" the Fender won hands down.

End of story.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
In the GP magazine "tube combos under $500 shootout" the Fender won hands down.

End of story.
They gave the B-52 AT-112 an editors pick also.
I bought a demo at-112 at GC, and the dirty channel cranked but the clean was malfunctioning shortly thereafter. I went back for another and the clean wasn't working on that one either.
Peavey classic 30 would do the trick, or perhaps a Carvin Nomad or Traynor YCV 20wr.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:19 PM

Reviews: 3

Kustom Coup 36 or 72.

Tags
clean tone , david mccarroll , fender hot rod , fender hot rod deluxe , peavey classic , peavey valveking , practice amp , tube amp , tube combo , tube combos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode