gear question - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

gear question

at the moment im using an rg550 with a paf pro, hs 2 and breed, also i have a peavey 112 bandit for my clean, and a sansamp gt2 (not in effects loop) for distortion, i also like to use a marshall jackhammer or a dod grind pedal for fuzzy bits. One problem, i do love the tone i get from the gt-2 but there is not enough gain for really singing sustained lines, when i try to boost the gain with the jack hammer, it makes the tone fuzzy, and i just want to make it sustain more. I have tried turning all the eq on the jachammer down and having the gain on minimum and the level high to boost the sustain rather than adding more distortion, but i still lose that natural tone from the gt-2, and solutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

might i be better off using something like a yngwie malmsteen pedal from dod, a ds-1 or a super overdrive from boss?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 07:14 PM

Hmmm. I used to use a Trademark 10 for home practice untill it died. Its pretty similiar. As a matter of fact the TM10 is a GT2 built into a SS amp. I always thought it had more then enouph gain. I usually ran it at about 50% for metal/rock rhythm. but somethimes Id like to mess with that over-saturated sound for leads with a booster.

Anyway running one SS OD pedal in front of another before a clean amp gives you VERY different results depending on what your using and what order. I found with the TM10 using a TS9 sounded completely different from an SP2 or DS1 or FoxRox CCII Fuzz.

Messing with the EQ really doesnt change the basic tone of a pedal. I would try some other pedals if you cant get a sound you like. A DS1 is very cheap. I never liked running really "tubey" sounding Drive pedals (liek a marshall pedal or Danelectro Fabtone) in front of an already overdriven pedal/amp.

What kind of sound are you going for?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

well, im going for a variety of sounds, i do like using the grind pedal for fuzz but only for over the top hendrix things. I just want the nice pure tone of the gt2 to remain instead of fuzzing up. there isnt really that much clarity with the bottom notes as there is when its just the gt2. i do want a variety of tones, such as a vai type FTLOG sound, with nice sustain but with some clarity and not fuzzy, ive already got my bluesy tones sorted just the gt2 with the gain rolled off so i just need a pedal to go next to the gt2 which isnt going to kill the nice tone i get from it anyway.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

i do have a marshall overdrive instead of the jackhammer one, that might make some difference, they dont really go well as a booster pedal seen as though there are so many eq variations im not really bothered about those.

the guv'nor 2 sounds a great deal better, i can dial in a nice bit of gain without the sound getting too muddy or fuzzy, all i need now is a boss noise reduction pedal!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 10:45 AM

Im not sure what Vai used for the album version. I wouldnt say that using the exact OD with the GT2 would sound similiar anyway.

Have you looked into the clean boost thing?

-Fulltone FatBoost or FullDrive
-Seymour Duncan Boost Pedal
-Klon Centaur

Actually theres tons of pedal manufacturers making pedals that will give you a transparent signal boost (maybe around 16-20 dbs) without coloring the tone. It just drives the input harder giving you more gain. It does make it a little tighter and a little more saturated and smooth. But it colors a lot less then an OD or Distortion pedal.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 10:52 AM

Also- you may wanna experiment with how much gain your running on the GT2 when your running a boost before it. If I was gonna use certain pedals Id start with a soft crunch. For Others I may dial in a decent amount of drive on the GT2 then start out low with the booster.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan D Mahnn
Actually theres tons of pedal manufacturers making pedals that will give you a transparent signal boost (maybe around 16-20 dbs) without coloring the tone. It just drives the input harder giving you more gain. It does make it a little tighter and a little more saturated and smooth. But it colors a lot less then an OD or Distortion pedal.
Although, we're tlaking a solid-state amp here... I've always been under the impression it's best NOT to try to overdrive a solid-state pramp with a boost...?

-Drew
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 02:25 PM

I'd be tempted to try out a Hughes & Kettner Tubeman or a nice tube preamp in the effects loop while running the peavey preamp with clean settings.

Anyone here ever used a solid state amp this way?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 06:48 PM

Drew, I thought about that. And I didnt use my Fatboost much with my TM10 which is the only SS amp Ive ever owned. But I never had any trouble smacking the input of it. And Im assuming since they market the GT2 like a pedal it would respond no different then any other distortion pedal.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 08:56 AM

Although I'm sure it can be done successfully, I have never had any success in boosting any solid state device (amp or pedal) with another pedal. In my experience it turns everything into a FuzzFace no matter what it's supposed to sound like.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 11:03 AM

Also, the FTLOG tone was just a compressor, a wah, and a Marshall head- no OD in the signal chain, alledgedly... the marshall mode on the T-10 oughta get you as close as anything else...

-Drew
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

like i said.. i just want some extra saturation and sustain on top of what i get from the gt-2, it has a nice bit of gain on its own but theres not quite enough for me, i dont know whether this thing has somehow lost gain!, its quite old apparently.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

i tried using the gt-2 in the preamp like its supposed to be used, but i lost the reverb and everything else when i turned it off i didnt like that, as i had no control over the volume of the amp with the gt2 turned off, plus there was no reverb on the gt2 and it sounds too flat like that, i much prefer using it as a stompbox as it still sounds better than the distortion on my peavey any day.

Tags
boost pedal , distortion pedal , paf pro , seymour duncan , solid state amp , super overdrive , tube preamp , yngwie malmsteen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode