Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Generic amp and $$$ question

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ericbourassa 
#1 ·
Semi generic question with few details. Gut answers please. I have a 20W amp, I can get essentially the same amp but in a 40W version for an extra $300. Is it worth it? Brand doesn't matter.
Would you go for the extra wattage knowing that "for the most part" the 20W will get you where you need to go, but what if....? Thanks

#3 ·
Makes sense, except in this case it is a gigging amp. Mostly smaller venues maybe some bigger ones on occasion. I purposely left out details of the amp as this is purely a money question.
It's probably a dumb question. The 20W is really loud and would be for most things, I myself don't necessarily need a lot of headroom, but I think I'm being foolish by not looking at the "what ifs". If I get the 40W and I don't need it I still have it. If I stick with a 20W and I need 40W I'm stuck. I'm just trying to convince myself :)
Thanks

#7 ·
Bogner recently released the Ecstasy 3534 which is a smaller version of the Ecstasy. You will need to Google it because Bogner’s website has no information.

I follow Mesa/Boogie and Bogner because they make high-quality useful products. (Other companies do to.) One overall trait these amps seem to have acquired within the past 5 - 10 years is overall usability. A 50 watt 1x12 combo like the Mesa TC-50 will work well as a practice amp, a performance amp, a portable amp (56 lbs. for a Mesa combo is pretty amazing) and it handles everything really well. That is just one example but the point is most tube amps are still too loud, but they can also be whatever volume you need them to be. That was not always the case.

#8 ·
i once went to Guitar Sanctuary in McKinney TX and asked why get a 50w head when I only need 20w. they explained that even turned down, bigger amps sound bigger. it may be same electronics and build quality but the extra wattage does change the feel of the size of the amp. i got to hear it firsthand and it makes sense

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.