Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 opinions...a good cab choice? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 opinions...a good cab choice?

Hello there. The last substantial guitar purchase I make before investing in a RGT3120 is a 2x12 cabinet. My friend has a Mesa 4x12 loaded with V-30s that I use right now, and I love the sound. However, a 4x12 is not what I need right now....my band doesnt play at crazy volumes, and I want a cabinet that is pretty easy to carry around. Hence my search for a 2x12 cabinet...

My main question is if you have extensivly tried or own a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cabinet, what do you think about it? I have heard many good things about it, but any more opinions on it would be great. Would you call it fairly versatile, or is it only good for certian sounds? I would be using it with a Marshall JCM2000 DSL50. I play everything from jazz, to mellow rock(current band sound), to balls to the wall metal and stuff like that....getting a great distorted tone is more important to me than landing a great clean tone though. I really love the V-30 sound....do the speakers in the Genz Benz share many of the same qualities as a V-30, or are they totally different?

Is there another 2x12 Cabinet that you would recommend before the G-Flex under $600 new (or a cabinet that might be more new but can be found used for under $600)?

Thanks!!!

-Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 12:29 PM
rgr

I had a 2-12 Flex cabinet which is the same cabinet before George put his name on them. They are nice cabinets, the speakers use the same cone as a V30. The porting adds a lot of low end and makes them sound great clean. You can also get them for around $425 or so new so they are a pretty good deal. The cons about the cabinet are that they are big for a 2-12, definitely takes 2 hands to carry it. Also, while the porting adds alot of low end, it can get a little loose in high gain/high volume situations, not necessarily in a bad way but it doesn't stay as tight as a fully closed cabinet.

I would also recommend trying a Mesa 2-12 Recto cabinet, they are around $500 new or around $400 used in good shape. The Carvin Legacy 2-12 cabinets are also pretty nice for the price, I have one of the older versions with Greenbacks. It is small enough to carry one handed like a suitcase and sounds pretty good.

Roger
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 11:31 PM
Banned

I have a Mesa Boogie 2x12 w/ EVM'sand a Carvin 2x12 loaded with Celestion 75's for sale. I'll take $350+shipping for the Boogie and $250+ shipping(alot lighter) for the Carvin. Let me know
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2003, 12:16 PM

Before ANYONE buys any cab, check these guys out. If your anything like me budget,gear, and sound wise. These cabs are PERFECT.

About 300$ BRAND NEW for a 2X12 (vert or horz), (slant or straight) with your choice of Vintage 30's, G12H's, Greenbacks...Please check out the site.

I know I sound like I work for them or something but I don't, I just need to spread the word about this amazing company.

2 2X12s for me!!
chris

P.S- Tell me those guys look cheap! They look like their built better then Mesas!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2003, 01:19 PM

The Mesa 2x12 kicks butt. If you are using the 4x12 now, you will like this cab.

Pete
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 12:38 AM

Madwell beat me to the punch. I am gearing up for a 2x12 purchase that'll be purchased from www.avatarspeakers.com. I've heard nothing but good things about them, and there's something to be said for an owner who answers the phone and e-mails. We all know where customer service is heading nowadays...

That leaves me with a Carvin Legacy 2x12. It's a real nice cab, but I need stereo. (I could modify it easy enough, but it would mean replacing the speakers because of the ohmage. Is that a word?) If you're interested let me know.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 04:26 AM

The Genz Benz is, hands down, the best 2x12 cab on the market. I owned one for a couple of years & it treated me great. I highly recommend it. If you're dead set on a 2x12, you can't go wrong. Do a search on this Forum regarding my previous Genz Benz posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 12:12 PM

I will also put in a vote for the Genz Benz because they do make unbelievable 2X12s...BUT..the $$$....When Im rich in famous I wont mind buying 5 of them (well ill probably be using 4X12s by that point) but now while Im 18 and broke the Avatar cabs looks like a dream come true.

Either way if you want to know QUALITY, probably Genz Benz, Mesa, Avatar.

Value for your $$$, Avatar, Genz Benz, Mesa

P.S- Hey Shannon, why'd you get rid of it?? (the benz)

Tags
clean tone , distorted tone , genz benz , mesa boogie , recto cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode