Getting a new amp - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Getting a new amp

I'm in the market for a new amp. I want a tube amp that is good for a light metal sound, I play a lot of instrumental stuff(Vai, Friedman, etc.) and it doesn't really require a "heavy" sound. I've got a RG3120 w/ a Tone Zone(b) and a PAF Pro(n). I've found myself really becoming interested in getting a used Mesa F-30. I really don't care if I go head or combo, i'd just get a 2x12 from avatar. I want to really be able to get the true tone out of it and that just wouldn't be possible if I got anything over 50watts(tube). I'm open to any suggestions, as I haven't played many tube amps. Also, will a solid state amp with a good tube preamp get an authentic tube sound?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 10:47 PM

Re: Getting a new amp

Try the 280 watt solid state Randall V2. Its only 280 watts at 8 ohms. Its 400 at 4 and 500 at 2. Has a clean, solid state and tube channel. Tube power circut for a realistic tube tone when you turn it up. Graphic EQ and a bunch of other options. There's someone else on this board that uses a Randall for for instrumental stuff AND AND AND AND Micheal Angelo was using a Randall in a Speed Kills vid that I have. Its quite fun. Try Traynor, Vox and Gen Benz (if thats how you spell it) as well.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 03:52 AM

If you're wanting a Vai-ish tone, you might as well go with the Carvin Legacy. I'm sure it'll suit you well.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 01:09 PM

You can pick up Carvin X-100B heads off evilBay dirt-cheap, if you're looking for that early Vai-type sound, it's the only way. They o metal as well, far more gain than most amps, and if they're in good nick they're an absolute steal. There're a couple on there now going for about $180 each.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vai_disciple
You can pick up Carvin X-100B heads off evilBay dirt-cheap, if you're looking for that early Vai-type sound, it's the only way. They o metal as well, far more gain than most amps, and if they're in good nick they're an absolute steal. There're a couple on there now going for about $180 each.

Ah, yes. They have one at my local Sam Ash going for $450 I believe. I haven't had the chance to play it yet though. I'll check it out when I go there today, thanks for the suggestion.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbrandon101
Ah, yes. They have one at my local Sam Ash going for $450 I believe. I haven't had the chance to play it yet though. I'll check it out when I go there today, thanks for the suggestion.
Don't pay the $450 sticker at Scam Ash. They sell on e-bay for $300 - $350 depending upon condition.

The F-30 is an excellent choice for the sound you're after. I'm looking hard at the F-50.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 03:44 AM

BTW

The F30 and the F50 are good for heavy metal?

Stuff like Pantera etc....Lots of gain...

Thanks

BLAKK:JAKK
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 06:19 AM

How about Laney?

GH50L
VH100
TT50

are all very good amps and aren't very expensive

Tags
heavy metal , paf pro , sam ash , solid state amp , tone zone , tube amp , tube amps , tube preamp , tube tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode