Getting Professional Sound through PC ? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Getting Professional Sound through PC ?

hey guys ,..ive searched everywhere on the net ,.for this but still (am kinda dumb lol) i can't really understand this clearly,..

first of all i have an Ibanez RG350EX and a Marshall 15DFX,

i used to connect my previous Gibson Les Paul to the microphone socket in my sound card,...sound quality offcourse was not good ,.and i came across guitar rig,..had really cool sounds and all ,..but my problem was the latency, it wasn't real time ,..which is kinda annoying offcourse to play over.

thing is i don't want to connect to my pc just for recording ,..i want it to kinda replace my amp,..and be able to use all those effects and stuff and occasionally record ,..so is this doable without all those wierd gadjets and stuff ,.? could i gain pro quality sound and at the same time hear them in real time ? what excatly should i need ? ,.

thanx ,..any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 11:07 PM

Re: Getting Professional Sound through PC ?

you could use a gt-8. When I had mine, I conenct to my comp because it sounds like a concert, it's incredible!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

thanx for the reply quick,...

but how excatly do u connect ure GT-8 to the pc ? using what interface ? ,.cuz i was actually saving up to buy one ,..

i mean do u just connect ure guitar to the GT-8 then to the PC and that's it ?

and what about latency ?,..does everything sound in real time ?

thanx
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

could anyone help me out guys plz ?

and what about preamps ? ive heard that u need some sort of preamp ? could a multipedal work as a preamp ?

and what sound card could i be using ?

@quicksilver : if i use a multipedal with my generic sound card would it still sufer from high latency ??

am sorry guys ..but am just really confused .,.so bare with my stupid questions ,..

thanx again
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 06:42 AM

You plug the GT8 straight into the line in on your soundcard.

Its really great for home use - pretty decent amp models, infinite effects possibibilties and stereo.

It'll sound so much better than your little Marshall - I used to have one years ago
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamoksh View Post
could anyone help me out guys plz ?

and what about preamps ? ive heard that u need some sort of preamp ? could a multipedal work as a preamp ?

and what sound card could i be using ?

@quicksilver : if i use a multipedal with my generic sound card would it still sufer from high latency ??

am sorry guys ..but am just really confused .,.so bare with my stupid questions ,..

thanx again

My solution (what i use):
-buy a cheap simple mixing table, (behringer will do the work and they are cheap)
-buy a guitar amp microphone (shure pg57 cheap and good for this kind of job).

How to do it:
Put the microphone in front of the amp, plug it to the table, plug the table TAPE OUT into your pc's LINE IN.

This should do the trick.
There are some people who will say that a Line6 toneport is easier and more direct. Well, ok, but a microphone and a mixing table can be used in many purposes, like live... etc... and i don't like emulated sounds (boss gt or line6 stuff).

Only negative point: You have to turn the amp a little bit loud in order to record efficiently, not too good for someone who lives in a condo (like me, my neighbors crawl up the walls :P)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 09:42 AM

I use a Behringer mixer and a Shure PG57 for all my recorded sounds
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Dee

I use a V-Amp Pro and it rocks. I'd suggest looking into one.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 10:14 AM

As I understand it you would like to be able to use a program like Guitar Rig, in real time with no latency. What you need is a sound card with good Asio drivers. Then you'll have very little latency. So small that you wont be able to hear it.
I would go with a cheap M-audio sound card. Around$100.00 (bad support for Vista but if your not going Vista any time soon your fine).
And either a small cheap mixer or pre amp lke an ART or a Presonus Tube Pre.
Should cost $200.00 or less you'll get good results. Plug your guitar into the preamp or mixer, mixer goes to line in on your sound card, then configure Guitar Rig to use the proper Asio driver and your good to go. This setup will work good for recording as well.
Godd speakers are the nest step. Headphones are a good option too.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 01:18 PM
rgr

For what you want to do, the best solution would be the Line 6 GX or UX USB modules. Trying to go through the built in mic input on your PC is a losing battle for good sound.

http://www.line6.com/toneport/index....gn=GX+Gear+Mid
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamoksh View Post
thanx for the reply quick,...

but how excatly do u connect ure GT-8 to the pc ? using what interface ? ,.cuz i was actually saving up to buy one ,..

i mean do u just connect ure guitar to the GT-8 then to the PC and that's it ?

and what about latency ?,..does everything sound in real time ?

thanx
latency is perfect and it connects with a digital output, so basicly, if you have SPDIF in on your comp, then it will work great, otherwise, you can just plug it into the line in on your sound card, it will sound jsut as good. This is FROM my experience, and I honostly would have kept mine if I could, but I needed the money for the g-system for my live rig. you won't be disppointed, trust me.

I have used guitarig and to be honest it sounded like ****. The gt-8 has AWESOME amp models. If you are looking to use it live, its not near to as good in front of an amp than it is in your comp. It sounds absolutly amazing in front of the comp. Sounds better than anything I have ever heard. Ill give you a hint, IT COMPARES very closely with satch and Vai's tone.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

wow guys,. thanx for all the replies ,..that really helped me out alot,..

but considering am in egypt :S ,.i can't find all those kewl things u were talking about her .actually i went out today to find a good sound card with asio ,..and all i found was a crappy Creative Audigy for like $35 or sumthing ,..and it didn't have ASIO i think (nothing was written on the back to say it supports it). my dad's in the us though,..maybe i could tell him to get me an audiophile, or an Audigy4 or sumthing,...

and about that guitar amp microphone thing ,.am sure it sounds great an all ,..but i think my neighboors would call the cops on me ,.lol,. not to mention my folks hehe ,...so it won't be convenient for me actually,.. all i wanted is to have sumthing that could kinda replace my amp ,..and do some FX processing on the side ,.

@quicksilver: uve been really helpfull man, thanx,...u mentioned the GT-8 infront of the pc gives the satch tone ,..hehe which is what i kinda want but i never thought that just plugging the GT8 in the line in of my sound card would give good sound ,..cuz when i plugged my guitar in my mic input on the pc,...monitoring was in real time ,..but when it came to guitarrig or any processing Lantency was TOO much ,.:S
and by any chance could u add me on msn quicksilver ? ( [email protected] )

lol enough rambling,..but i appreciate all the help guys, this is a trully amaazing forum ,
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 05:55 PM

Sure thing, the reason it sounds liekc rap whe it;s jsut your guitar is because there is no preamp and no kind of amplification. The gt-8 has preamps and amplifies the sound.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 10:22 PM

If you can't get gear easily because you are in Egypt check out that cheap audigy card. I think that they make asio drivers for just about every soundblaster card. You might even be able to download 3rd party Asio drivers for it. It's not really a "recording" soundcard and people like to bash creative and everything but with the proper drivers it would probably do the "Guitar Rig" software thing quite well.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 11:55 PM
HSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I use a V-Amp Pro and it rocks. I'd suggest looking into one.
+1

Let's just not start the Behringer-bashing party again! I would also invest in Wabbit Wanch Design iVamp editing software for Mac. Somebody else has one for PC that works, as well. Can't remember the name of it. But, lots of cool sounds from the blue box. Just run a y cable - two mono 1/4 inch from the Vamp's line outs to stereo mini plug to go into your stereo input on your sound card. No latency problems here, tons of tone, super versatile.

Tags
gibson les paul , les paul , satch tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode