Going rate for a used Single Recto Solo head? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Going rate for a used Single Recto Solo head?

I was playing one of these things last night, and man, i'm in love. Before i spring for it though, i just was wondering what the typical used price was for these. Here's what i can tell you that might affect the price:

-I'm not sure if it's the first or second version, as the pick of V.2 i saw had the same control setup with no "raw" mode indicated- it was merely a middle position between the vintage and modern modes on the lead channel, unlabled. I didn't even think to try it, as i wasn't aware there was an updated version. I do know they've had it about a year, though- i remember seeing it up at the same shop once before.

-Cosmetically, it's great- the stamped metal front is clean, and the leather seemed clean, as well. Can't say for the tubes, but even at extreme settings i wasn't getting any microphonics (tone/volume- didn't really push the output).

-No hum or anything- i was watching for that after rjv (or some similar initial set, lol) posted his big dissertation on that.

-Included footswitch. Stock, i presume. Appears to have a nylon amp cover too, although i didn't check to see if it was for the recto maverick head sitting on top of it.

They're asking $999, and i might be able to talk them down a little bit from that... is this a decent price for a used single recto? (it could probably pass as store display model new, near as i can tell. I could probably score a dual for a little more, but the wattage is more than i really need- 50 is more than enough.

Thanks,

-Drew

EDIT/PS- you know, for all i know it could be new. i forgot to ask, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 04:43 PM

Do you know the differences between v1 & v2?

The reason I ask...

Looking at the Mesa manuals, and from what I remember of Rectoverb rear panels, the only way to switch channels remotely was using the footswitch.

Last night I was at Guitar Center and looked at a couple. I noticed they now have 1/4" footswitch jacks in addition to the Mesa DIN footswitch jack--that's really important to me so I can switch channels on the amp via MIDI.

Do you know if that's one of the new v2 features?

Thanks,
--B
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

two things-

1.) it appears to not be midi-switchable. i don't recall seeing the jacks in the back, and it's not mentioned in the amp's specs. the dual, however, is.

2.) this is presumably used, as the "mesa boogie hollywood" shop linked off their page quoted me $1099 for a new one. Think 800-850 would be a reasonable target, then?

-Drew
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 12:17 PM

I picked one up for $800 new from a dealer that was dropping Mesa so they were selling them at cost. I cannot confirm that $800 is the real dealer cost but does give you an idea of what you can find a new one from a "motivated" dealer.
...and yes I know that Mesa dealers are not suppose to discount but I have found a few dealers willing to move on their prices.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Al, that helps put it into perspective. I'll shoot for about the same figure.

Sweet amp, isn't it?

-Drew
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 01:00 PM

I have had two dual rectos and really liked them. I thought I needed three channels but I found that I only ended up using two of the channels. I sold both of my duals and bought the single and I never regreted it.
If you get one, try comparing the 6L6's with the EL34's.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 01:28 PM

i've been reading up on those myself these past few days. i had actually thought that the new price was $999...but it would seem that i'm wrong. anyways, around $800 seems pretty reasonable to me. you can always try the big auction site and see what buy it now prices are (although people's perceptions of what things are worth tend to be hugely out of skew). one point, since i've been reading up on user reviews for the past few days, is that a lot of owners have complained about a delay in switching between channels...might be something to double-check if it bothers you...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

I didn't notice it- it responded no differently than my rocket-44 combo i have now does, so it's probably fine.

$800 it is, i guess, although if i can go anywhere under 9 i'll be happy enough. More once i confirm the sale of the RG-2027 i'm selling for it...

-Drew
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 08:44 PM

The series one single recto can't take EL34s, there is no bias switch for it. I don't think anybody has mentioned that, it's an important difference as a lot of people really like EL34s in the recots.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 11:46 AM

for single rectos, the one to get is the series 2. as was mentioned above, it has the bias switch so you can put in EL34s if you want to. it also has the DIN footswitch jack, as well as quarter inch jacks for standard footswitches. apparently they completely re-did the electronics for the clean channel as well to make it sound much better.. i haven't heard a series 1, but i know that the clean channel on my ser. 2 is incredible.

the quickest way to visually tell which version is to see where the footswitch input is.. on the ser.1 it's on the front panel beside the input jack.. on the ser.2, they're on the back panel.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Ok, footswitch jack was on the front panel of this one... although i could have sworn i saw a rear-panel one, too. odd...

Going back up thursday. I'll take another look then... I was actually quite happy with the clean channel of this thing, and from what i hear the V1 duals are the ones to get in terms of distorted tones, so it's possible that carries over here, too... anyway, i was quite impressed by the gain sounds...

anyone know when they made the switch from 1 to 2? that little bit of info would be invaluable for trying to talk the price down... "come on, man, used v.2 single's go for $800, and this one's a v1, making it at least three years old..."

I'd try to track down a V2 to compare it to, but that just isn't going to happen up here, i think...

-Drew
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 03:02 PM

I think the series 1 heads had the 1/4" footswitch jacks on the back panel as well as the front.

As far as I can tell, they only made the series 1 in 1999, and switched to the 2 in 2000, so your "three years old" pitch should hold water.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Ahh, thanks man, i owe ya.

-Drew
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 11:57 PM
rgr

Hey, the Single you are looking at is the 1st rev of the amps. I'm the one who posted the "long dissertation" about the noise problem with mine. It's working fine now. I can tell you how to create the noise though, just tighten the nut on the footswitch jack until it grounds out to the chassis, then it's grounding the -3V that is used in the switching circuit and for 1/2 of the DC heater Voltage on the first preamp tube. I was pretty disappointed when I found out what the problem was, they should have taken better measures to prevent that.

Back on track, for a 1st rev of the single recto, I wouldn't pay more than $650 - $700. I only use the Vintage setting on the high gain channel, it's very warm and round. Haven't heard one of the new versions in person so I can't comment on the Raw setting. I may have to add a bias switch to try EL34s through, it's not too hard, a good tech can probably add it for you pretty easily. Provided that the power transformer can handle the added load, EL34s draw more current than 6L6s. I'll have to check with Mesa about that but I would assume they are using the same transformers in the old and new versions.

Oh yeah, the 1/4" jack on the front needs a stereo, 3 conductor cable, I wouldn't advise plugging a standard guitar cord into it. Probably the same for the new versions too.

$0.02,
Roger
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, it was you i was thinking of, and while i didn't know exactly which ground circuit was causing the problem, i remembered that the fix was a simple swapping out of a metal spacer for a plastic one. Of course, seeing as i knew this and the shop didn't, it'd probably be a great bargaining point...

Anyway though, i'm leaning back towards a Marshall TSL now... I know, it's a completely different beast than a recto solo head, but I REALLY liked the tones i was getting out of one last night...

-Drew

Tags
distorted tone , distorted tones , dual recto , marshall tsl , mesa boogie , preamp tube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode