Good cab for solid low end? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Good cab for solid low end?

Anyone have suggestions for a 4x12 cabinet that can take a lot of lows and not fart or flap around?
Right now I have a Sovtek, and its a flapper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 09:18 PM

I have no personal experience with these but I've heard a lot of 7 stringers rave about the low end on the Carvin MTS Cabs w/british speakers. *They're pretty cheap too.

Of course the typical answer will probably be the mesa/boogie cabs.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 12:05 AM

haha... :biggrin:well try out a recto 2x12 cab...good low end and somewhat dark, if you prefer that sort of thing.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 12:23 AM

www.rivera.com

...and be sure to check out Tantrum cabs.

http://tantrum.cc/

Custom made to your specs. * Options include a fold-out ashtray. *:-)

EDIT- I almost forgot to mention that the owner of Tantrum Custom Speaker Cabinets is Dave Sullivan. *He's a big Vai fan and owns a couple of JEM's. *Very cool guy.

(Edited by Kevan at 12:29 am on Sep. 1, 2001)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 12:49 AM

so far my Mesa 4x12 has the best low end...but I've only tried out the Marshall, Carvin, and Crate 4x12's.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 01:29 AM

Depends what kinda lowend your looking for. If it's like, 'scooped huge low end bass' or just 'clear crisp tight lows' (ie: normal guitar lows).

If you want the big scoop, just get a nice 4x12 and a 1x12 or 2x12 Rivera Los Lobottom. It's a self-powered/crossovered sub for guitar. The things are super low and loud.

If you just want nice tight lows, I've actually researched this someone extensively and found the Bogner bottom's w/ Vintage 30's and the Mesa Boogie Recto Traditionals w/ Vintage 30's (not the big Recto fart boxes) to have the best all around tight low and and crisp highs.

It really depends on what you are looking for.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 04:17 AM

I am with jeffrey here on this one. He said what I was about to post. good job jeff!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you want the big scoop, just get a nice 4x12 and a 1x12 or 2x12 Rivera Los Lobottom. It's a self-powered/crossovered sub for guitar. The things are super low and loud.
The los lobottom, that might be something to check out. *Is there a way to get a crossover to the 4x12, so I can direct all the lows to the rivera, and all the other freq's to my current cab?
Also, is it something that can be run off of a rack setup? *Everything I saw was talking about it being a part of a combo amp...

(Edited by craig at 12:23 pm on Sep. 1, 2001)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 01:29 PM

Yeah you can.

From what I recall the Los Lobottom has a crossver built in.

So you can actually cut some bass off of your main 4x12, and just pump it on the Los Lobottom. It's not going to send out anything above like 120hz or so.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 02:00 PM

Jeffrey can you elaborate on the tonal differences between the Recto 4x12 standard and the Recto 4x12 traditional? I have the standard cab and it sounds amazing but I want something a little more portable that doesn't break my back every time I load it in my jeep. Thanks.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 03:45 AM

Yes, the Los Lobottom has a built in crossover. You can hook it up several ways, FX loop out, slave out, * or power amp out. FX loop or slave outs with independent level controls will give you the ability to mix the sub level to taste. I am VERY happy with it.

Dave
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Quote: from Andrew Amicarelli on 1:00 pm on Sep. 1, 2001
Jeffrey can you elaborate on the tonal differences between the Recto 4x12 standard and the Recto 4x12 traditional? I have the standard cab and it sounds amazing but I want something a little more portable that doesn't break my back every time I load it in my jeep. Thanks.
I guess I could best sum it up by saying the traditional cab had better clarity, note seperation and was in general "tighter" sounding; less mushy/farty/honky stuff.

Hope that silly explanation helps. :loco: Hehe.

Tags
combo amp , mesa boogie , power amp , rack setup , speaker cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode