A good Dist/OD pedal - recommendations? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

A good Dist/OD pedal - recommendations?

Hi folks,

I'd like a new Distortion or OD pedal for messing around at home with, mainly for doing 80s-style shred; tone-wise I'm thinking that era Vai, Satriani, Paul Gilbert etc. Don't like heavily-scooped tinny distortion like many bands use nowadays, I like a lot of stabbing high-mids in the sound with plenty (but not excessive) crunch. Have tried multi-fx units like Line 6 etc. but I don't get on well with them!

Does anyone have any recommendations? Currently use a RG2550, S1XXV and DK2M (all standard) into a trusty Marshall AVT50 combo. I get a decent enough tone out of the OD channel but looking for something a bit more "coloured" for doing leads.

Open to all suggestions - thanks in advance for any advice!

'87
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 05:41 PM

Re: A good Dist/OD pedal - recommendations?

Get my pedal :P http://www.horizondevices.com
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 11:38 PM

Reviews: 120

The AVTs do have a pretty sweet crunch, the singer in my band just started using on. Really all you'd likely need is a Tube Screamer type overdrive to take care of what you want. I really dig my MXR Custom Badass Overdrive, but really, and TS type pedal will get you there.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder87 View Post
Hi folks,

I'd like a new Distortion or OD pedal for messing around at home with, mainly for doing 80s-style shred; tone-wise I'm thinking that era Vai, Satriani, Paul Gilbert etc. Don't like heavily-scooped tinny distortion like many bands use nowadays, I like a lot of stabbing high-mids in the sound with plenty (but not excessive) crunch. Have tried multi-fx units like Line 6 etc. but I don't get on well with them!

Does anyone have any recommendations? Currently use a RG2550, S1XXV and DK2M (all standard) into a trusty Marshall AVT50 combo. I get a decent enough tone out of the OD channel but looking for something a bit more "coloured" for doing leads.

Open to all suggestions - thanks in advance for any advice!

'87
If you like the tone of your amp, I would try a Fulltone OCD because it is simple, well made, and it does what you want it to do. In contrast, I would not recommend the DOD Death Metal. It completely changes the tone of your amp, is not made particularly well, and will most likely not do what you want it to do. The DOD Death Metal has 3-4 good tones in it and it takes some time to find them, but once you do, it can do things few other distortion pedals can do, like natural low volume feedback which is actually pretty cool. But we are getting off track...

My recommendation of the OCD is based on my personal experience aligning with what you are looking for. There are thousands of OD/Distortion pedals on the market, a market which is not always driven by rational thought. The nice thing about the OCD is if you buy a used one (buy a used one) and do not like it, you can theoretically resell it for what you paid. If you do like it, celebrate!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

I like the AVT a lot, I've had it now for 11 years and previously used an old 8040 Valvestate. The AVT50 is a good workhorse amp with decent clean sounds and a nice warm overdrive. Useful for more or less all music styles and guitars.

I think I need to nip in to my local shop and try some pedals, I know they have a TS and some Boss units so I think I just need to go in and give it a try. Then convince the wife that she can buy me it as a present haha!

I've read many good reports about the Fulltone OCD. Does Paul Gilbert not use one? If so that's a big plus as his tone is ace.

Cheers

'87
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 02:05 PM
Contributor

I own both OCD and Custom Badass and I would recommend either one.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
I was going to suggest a precision drive as well... awesome for about any metal situation
built in noise gate
cool 6 way attack settings...

does it djent? like they say on the site "if you want it too"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 09:46 PM

Reviews: 15

Get a Digitech Distortion Factory DF-7. It has 7 distortions in it. If you can't find what you're looking for there, you didn't read the manual.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 01:05 PM

Any sort of Tube Screamer circuit used as a boost and not a stand-alone source of gain will probably work well here, too.

My current poison of choice is a BYOC kit I built, that I'm pretty happy with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode