Good distortion pedal for dream theater? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Good distortion pedal for dream theater?

I have an Ibanez rg7620 and a marshall jcm800, what do you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 04:19 PM

TS9

Im assuming your running the 800 with gain right?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

of course.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 04:51 PM

Well if I remember correctly Petrucci uses a TS9 to further drive his MKIIC+ Boogie. That boogie sounds very different from a marshall but with the TS9 youll get the right kind of saturation anyway. Sharper, smoother, aggresive pick attack, etc...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 05:00 PM

Sorry to corect you Dan D, but its actually a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 he uses to boost his lead sound these days...he might used to have put the screamer on it but i'm pretty sure its the fulldrive now

www.fulltone.com for details....very very nice boutique overdrive pedal. But expensive.

Track7
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 05:04 PM

Dont appologize. If its Fulltone its Fulltone.

The only reason Id say not to go Fulltone proffessor, besides the cost, is that the FDII is very transparent. I had one a while back and decided I didnt like it. Its very much for strat people. So the FDII into your 800 will just give a more of the 800 type gain. You may really like that but theres cheaper pedals for that.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

well I dont want to spend A LOT on a distortion, I am looking for a caught in a web tone.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 05:28 PM

Yeah. TS9 or a boss overdrive. 80-100$
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Anyone else?I tried the ts9 and I did not like it, I also have a sd-1 and the sound is pretty thin.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 06:41 PM

let me get this straight.....a ts-9 pushing a jcm-800....and you didn't like it?!?!?!? that's the ONLY way i like marshalls. if you want more eq options, throw a graphic in the loop, but for great monster marshall tone, the ts-9/jcm-800 is king. (i would much prefer the FD2 over the ts-9, too ) if the ts-9 isn't your flavor, try the boss ds-1. it has more gain, and is a little harsher than any OD pedal, but not getting too metal. the ds-1 pushing the gain on the jcm-800 will be pretty agressive- alot more so than the ts-9(or ts-9 type clone).

rich
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

I was not able to try the ts-9 with my amp. Maybe I should buy it and try it out at home.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 07:16 PM

hell, pick them both up. get the ts-9 for around $100 and the ds-1 for around $40. try 'em both out and then take back the one you don't like.

rich

BTW, always try gear thru YOUR setup or one that is VERY SIMILAR, before you pass judgement.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 12:49 AM

Another nice TS9 alternative is the Reverend Drivetrain...I'm think I'm almost liking it better than the Fulldrive.
Greg
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 07:27 AM

One quick thought... most of the pedals mentioned here (such as the TS9, and the way most people use the DS1) when used in front of a tube amp don't really give you a new distortion sound, but generally the same distortion sound your amp has with a lot more gain. Petrucci's sound is pure Mesa, so I don't know how satisfied you'll be putting any overdrive-type pedals in front of a Marshall.

If you really want Petrucci's tone (and don't want to trade the Marshall in on a Mesa), consider looking at some of the Mesa tube preamp pedals. They'll be a little more expensive, but they're built like tanks, and are likely to get you closer to the tone you're looking for. The Bottle Rocket is a single channel preamp, and the V-Twin is a two-channel preamp. I've owned both, and I think they have great tone for the money.

--B
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 05:29 PM

If you wanna get that specific, nothing mesa makes today will sound like Petrucci either. The amp he uses is probably the most unique sounding amp mesa ever made. It has all the qualities of a hot rodded marshall but sounds nothing like a marshall. Thats why James Hatfield has used it on every metallica album since Master Of Puppets. Petrucci also messes around with Triaxis preamps for rhthym sounds.

Quote:
most of the pedals mentioned here (such as the TS9, and the way most people use the DS1) when used in front of a tube amp don't really give you a new distortion sound, but generally the same distortion sound your amp has with a lot more gain.
Thats very not true. Your gain will take on a very new feel and character. The sound is very much like your amp but the tone of the pedal is definitly blended in there. Why do you thing so many people use so many different OD pedals. Fuzzes, clean boosts, TS9s, DS1, OD1, SP1, etc, etc.... Maybe some cant but I can notice VERY different results with different pedals. bduersch's basic concept is right. Its not gonna make your marshall sound like a mesa or any other amp. I said that earlier in this post.

My suggestion for the TS9 is based from my description of Petruccis tone. Its extremely tight and focused.

Tags
overdrive pedal , tube amp , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode