A good metal/rock amp (need recommendations) - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

A good metal/rock amp (need recommendations)

I want a good metal/hard rock amp with high gain for practice and jam sessions, maybe up to 30 W but not more. If it has built is effects, that's good but its not really a necessity for me. I heard tube amps are good. If I can get one inside my budget, that would be great. I can spend around $500. What's the best I can get?

I'll also be getting a ESP M-II or a high end Dean. So recommend amps that would go with that guitar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:25 AM

Re: A good metal/rock amp (need recommendations)

Well, I'm generally not a fan of solid state amps, but if you want 30 watts or under and lots of gain and distortion that's probably your best bet for under $500.
Check out the Roland CubeX 30 or a Vox Valvertonix. There is also Line 6 Spider. Most guys who are serious about good tone hate the Line 6, but I guess the amp does have some usable presets if you want Metal sounds.
Anyway, check out the 3 of those, but again, for your budget you are going to either get a low end tube amp or a higher end solid state. Another option is to get a used tube amp, but generally the lowest wattage you'll get on those is 50 and 50 tube watts is LOUD!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 03:14 PM

i think the vox valvetronics is probs the best bet it sounded the best out of the bunch .....i did however buy the spiderjam line 6 for its backing jams etc i found it to be great for practicing , i would never use it live as i have a top notch valve head ... if i was buying the amp on pure sound the vox is the better one , they do the xxl range also and may suit rock styles slightly better but both are good .
my choice of practice amp
1 spider ( valve) 1x12
2 vox valvetronics or xxl range
3 maybe the new peavey viper range ( i have not tried but heard it is good ) or roland cube
4line 6 spider
all have fx built in ..
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 05:51 PM

Reviews: 120

What about an Laney LC30 tube amp? Peavey Windsor Studio is another option. Egnator have a new 20 watt head that looks brilliant too, I think you may be able to get that and a 12inch speaker cabinet somewhere around your budget.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:43 PM

I don't know if its a high gain amp. But Carvin has a 2x12 practice amp. Now its 100watts which i know your not looking for something with that much power. But needless to say its a 100watt practice amp that you'll spend something like $350. And its a solid state amp...so probably not striking your interest. But Carvin has a very good sound for a GREAT price
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 10:46 PM

Get a Peavey Valveking. All tube, lots of gain and only $420.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimjim View Post
Get a Peavey Valveking. All tube, lots of gain and only $420.

Yeah the Valveking is great. I don't have one but a buddy does and it sounds great.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 07:06 AM

I would go for the Peavey VYPYRs...

I think the 30watt model is only $199 in the US - it comes with 12 amp models, each with clean and OD channels, built in effects (both stompbox before the amp models and rack effects after the pre-gain), has a line-out for direct recording, an aux-in for playing to your favourite backing tracks etc. ...

While it is not a tube-amp, it does sound decent on its own and also has a certain tube-like feel to it (at least better than the Behringer- and Line6 modellers I've tried). That's probably because the amp models are analog, based on their Transtube tech - not pure digital (think Tech21 and their Sansamp).

Although all of the amp models are more than usable, the Peavey models alone are worth the price (JSX, 6505/5150, XXX). The 6505 is veeeeery close to the real one, and also at low volumes! I guess if you're going for high-gain you will be more than happy (the Rectifier model is not so good unfortunately...).

It's great for bedroom volume practising, but can get pretty loud...
Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode